Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
MikkeMan

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by MikkeMan »

I think San Antonio might be interested about Teague but I don't know what Wolves would want back.

Teague and Butler for MIlls and DeRozan + pick would work. Maybe DeRozan could mentor Wiggins to achieve his potential as he ihad similar beginning of his NBA career with couple of mediocre seasons before he finally started to improve. He is also one of few wing scorers that are pretty effective despite lacking three point shot.

Unfortunately after this trade Wolves would be for sure worst defensive team in NBA.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Duke13 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:And if we do this rockets deal we have to look and deal Teague.

Offer Teague to the suns for Chandler and a lotto protected 1st. If not converted in 5 years it becomes 2 2nds.

Easily the first thing I would do after a Jimmy trade. Then feel out any market for Taj.

I'm thinking HOU is gonna want Taj. And that's OK.

Why would they won't him?

Great. So Taj isn't worthwhile and Teague's a star. Just work that out with the Teague fans and leave me out of it.

TheFuture wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:There's something funky with Teague's contract. If you try to trade him using the ESPN trade machine the trade always fails. So I'm not sure he's tradable as a practical matter.

There are three players on the Wolves roster I would not trade: KAT, Okogie and Tyus. I'd be reluctant to trade Taj because I like his leadership and his contract expires the end of this season.

That trade machine becomes less reliable every year.

Teague can be traded, but I don't see many (any) suitors outside of Phoenix. Ask for a first, settle for 2-3 seconds. If they don't accept that then just keep him and hope he doesn't opt in after Jimmy and Taj are gone.

If a trade goes down with HOU that has MIN taking back Knight, causing a logjam at PG, then just move Teague for matching wing/post salary and call it a win. No one wants him. I would love to get value for him the same way I want the Vikes to get a 7th rounder for each of the 37 guys they cut in camp, but you have to be realistic.

What team has a useful matching wing/post salary player that can use Teague without creating a logjam of their own? I'm not just giving Teague away, he is a valuable player - not a throw away.

I didn't really use the word "useful". I was thinking more roster balance. If the Wolves make this deal, they're starting over. So I'll pull up Spotrac and see who doesn't really have a logjam at PG.

(researching)

SAC, CHI, PHX (JT for RA straightup works), ATL (JT for KB with JL playing their SG minutes), ORL (JT for TM, which is an ironic set of initials for a guy whose salary would stress me out), BKN (JT for AC), DEN (is there a deal where MIN takes PM without paying the lux?), MIL (JT for MD/EI), LAC (JT for DG), CHA (JT for Younger Better Ben Wallace Himself BB), BOS (JT for KI {Testing you}), MIA (JT for TJ Come on Riley get your house in order)

Thats all I got.

Anybody else notice that "SC: AM" actually spells scam.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

It's a fair point that we don't know that the 4 picks will all be in the 20s. But if the Wolves become as terrible as I think they will be if we only get picks back for Butler, there's a possibility the fan base will give up on yet another rebuild, and Glen will sell the team to an out-of-state buyer. How much value to you place on the '23 and '25 picks if they are going to the Seattle Timberwolves?

So for the sake of argument let's assume the team stays in Minnesota, and the picks end up in the 20s. Let's not talk about past picks in the 20s that the Wolves didn't make (Gobert), instead let's talk about picks in the 20s we have made...because that's reality Here's the list:

Gerald Glass
Marlon Maxey
Sherron Mills
Howard Eisley
Paul Grant
Ndudi Ebi
Wayne Ellington
Trevor Booker
Donatas Montiejunas
Andre Roberson
Josh Okogie

We all love Josh Okogie and his 34% shooting percentage right now, but throw 4 darts at that list and tell me if it's an adequate return for Jimmy Butler. I pass on this deal, and hope the Wolves do too.
Monster

Post by Monster »

On thing that's ALLWAYS said about Thibs is that he is coaching for his job and everyone knows if he misses the playoffs he gets fired. That seems like it doesn't add up. Heck Dwayne Casey led the Raptors to their best season ever and got fired. So you are telling me if Thibs ends up trading Butler for say Richardson, Bam a first round pick plus some form of salary cap relief and misses the playoffs but coaches that team to a game or 2 on either side of .500 while it not looking like a chore getting there he absolutely gets fired? Thibs isn't dumb he knows Jimmy helps this team win and obviously he doesn't want to trade him but at think it's way beyond him just keeping his job. Glen might be a dumblebus but I think he would keep Thibs in his job IF Thibs actually looked like a positive and while I think it's unlikely it's not out of the question either. I'd guess both Glen and thibs want to make the playoffs cause we'll they want to win. I think if Thibs gets fired it's less about the playoffs or not (especially depending on how the Butler situation plays out) than how the product actually looks on the court both in terms of what assets are there, the way the team plays and the vibe in general around the organization.

longstrangetrip wrote:It's a fair point that we don't know that the 4 picks will all be in the 20s. But if the Wolves become as terrible as I think they will be if we only get picks back for Butler, there's a possibility the fan base will give up on yet another rebuild, and Glen will sell the team to an out-of-state buyer. How much value to you place on the '23 and '25 picks if they are going to the Seattle Timberwolves?

So for the sake of argument let's assume the team stays in Minnesota, and the picks end up in the 20s. Let's not talk about past picks in the 20s that the Wolves didn't make (Gobert), instead let's talk about picks in the 20s we have made...because that's reality Here's the list:

Gerald Glass
Marlon Maxey
Sherron Mills
Howard Eisley
Paul Grant
Ndudi Ebi
Wayne Ellington
Trevor Booker
Donatas Montiejunas
Andre Roberson
Josh Okogie

We all love Josh Okogie and his 34% shooting percentage right now, but throw 4 darts at that list and tell me if it's an adequate return for Jimmy Butler. I pass on this deal, and hope the Wolves do too.

No doubt the Wolves have to get better at scouting. Two things from your list: I think Maxey was a 2nd rounder, and Eisley and Roberson was/are actually kind of good, right?

Remember that time Charlotte had to pass a stadium referendum and they would get the Twins? And how did that go? I think as far as the Wolves and SEA, especially if they get Hockey, you'll see something similar.

monsterpile wrote:On thing that's ALLWAYS said about Thibs is that he is coaching for his job and everyone knows if he misses the playoffs he gets fired. That seems like it doesn't add up. Heck Dwayne Casey led the Raptors to their best season ever and got fired. So you are telling me if Thibs ends up trading Butler for say Richardson, Bam a first round pick plus some form of salary cap relief and misses the playoffs but coaches that team to a game or 2 on either side of .500 while it not looking like a chore getting there he absolutely gets fired? Thibs isn't dumb he knows Jimmy helps this team win and obviously he doesn't want to trade him but at think it's way beyond him just keeping his job. Glen might be a dumblebus but I think he would keep Thibs in his job IF Thibs actually looked like a positive and while I think it's unlikely it's not out of the question either. I'd guess both Glen and thibs want to make the playoffs cause we'll they want to win. I think if Thibs gets fired it's less about the playoffs or not (especially depending on how the Butler situation plays out) than how the product actually looks on the court both in terms of what assets are there, the way the team plays and the vibe in general around the organization.

You can't think of it in terms of "Thibs". The boss wants him gone, and that was before his "episode" at practice.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

longstrangetrip wrote:It's a fair point that we don't know that the 4 picks will all be in the 20s. But if the Wolves become as terrible as I think they will be if we only get picks back for Butler, there's a possibility the fan base will give up on yet another rebuild, and Glen will sell the team to an out-of-state buyer. How much value to you place on the '23 and '25 picks if they are going to the Seattle Timberwolves?

What's funny about such a hypothetical situation...

Casual fans (the vast majority of today's NBA fans) would take the news with a shrug or "good riddance" while telling forlorn Wolves fans that they should have shown more support for the team when they were here.

If only they knew...
Monster

Post by Monster »

Gerald Glass
Marlon Maxey
Sherron Mills
Howard Eisley
Paul Grant
Ndudi Ebi
Wayne Ellington
Trevor Booker
Donatas Montiejunas
Andre Roberson
Josh Okogie

This re-re-re-re-rebuild (Abe trademarked) reminds me of where we were when Kahn took over. He actually made a move to add another top pick to the chest of picks he was given. He went on to make awful draft picks among other terrible moves. If we could just have someone moderately competent we should be able to hit on a couple picks the next few years. If we have someone that's above average we could do better.