Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Post by Lipoli390 »

I'm sure Milt will answer a phone call from any NBA GM asking about any player. How would such a phone conversation go regarding Ricky. It would have to go something like this:

Phil Jackson: "As you know we'd like to shore up our PG position. Any chance Ricky might be available?"

Milt: "We love Ricky. As you probably know, he's a top half PG statistically and a huge difference maker for us when he's on the court." We've surrounded him with scorers in Wiggins, KAT, LaVine and Shabazz. I don't think you have what it would take to pry him away from us. What did you have in mind?"

Phil Jackson: How about Melo?"

Milt: "That's a generous offer, Phil. But he's on the backside of his career and just doesn't fit the profile of our young team we're building for the future. And I suspect he wouldn't want to come here either. Oh, and he plays the same position as Wiggins and needs the ball a lot, which probably wouldn't mesh well with the guys we have now. But thanks for the offer. How about that Euro guy you drafted last summer?

Phil Jackson: "Excuse me. Have to go. It's past my meditation time." Click.

No matter what team calls and regardless of what player the other team expresses interest in, it would be incumbent upon Milt to ask them what they'd offer.

I recall Flip telling me about a call he took from Phil Jackson about Kevin Love. It went like this: "Flip, this is Phil. I know we don't have enough to offer for Love, but I had to call you so I could go back to ownership and tell them I did." Flip said they had a nice laugh and then talked hoops for a while. The punch line is this. These guys talk all the time and they'll express interest in each others' players even if there's no realistic prospect for a deal. Any honest reporter, like a David Aldridge, knows the difference between this sort of chatter on the one hand and a team's effort to actually shop one one of its players. Taking calls does NOT mean making a player available. The New York Daily News knows better, but doesn't care. They have no credibility reporting NBA news.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:I don't believe the report. It's not credible for two reasons. First, it was reported by the New York Daily News. Second, it makes no sense to trade a key asset like Ricky before we hire our long-term PBO and head coach. Of course, this is Glen Taylor so I suppose the Wolves doing something that makes no sense doesn't necessarily make the story unbelievable. But it is the New York Daily News.

I agree with you I don't believe it for all those reasons you stated and quite frankly seems out of character that Glen would sign off on a deal moving Rubio.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:I'm sure Milt will answer a phone call from any NBA GM asking about any player. How would such a phone conversation go regarding Ricky. It would have to go something like this:

Phil Jackson: "As you know we'd like to shore up our PG position. Any chance Ricky might be available?"

Milt: "We love Ricky. As you probably know, he's a top half PG statistically and a huge difference maker for us when he's on the court." We've surrounded him with scorers in Wiggins, KAT, LaVine and Shabazz. I don't think you have what it would take to pry him away from us. What did you have in mind?"

Phil Jackson: How about Melo?"

Milt: "That's a generous offer, Phil. But he's on the backside of his career and just doesn't fit the profile of our young team we're building for the future. And I suspect he wouldn't want to come here either. Oh, and he plays the same position as Wiggins and needs the ball a lot, which probably wouldn't mesh well with the guys we have now. But thanks for the offer. How about that Euro guy you drafted last summer?

Phil Jackson: "Excuse me. Have to go. It's past my meditation time." Click.

No matter what team calls and regardless of what player the other team expresses interest in, it would be incumbent upon Milt to ask them what they'd offer.

I recall Flip telling me about a call he took from Phil Jackson about Kevin Love. It went like this: "Flip, this is Phil. I know we don't have enough to offer for Love, but I had to call you so I could go back to ownership and tell them I did." Flip said they had a nice laugh and then talked hoops for a while. The punch line is this. These guys talk all the time and they'll express interest in each others' players even if there's no realistic prospect for a deal. Any honest reporter, like a David Aldridge, knows the difference between this sort of chatter on the one hand and a team's effort to actually shop one one of its players. Taking calls does NOT mean making a player available. The New York Daily News knows better, but doesn't care. They have no credibility reporting NBA news.

Great post Lip.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Just a wild guess that if Kaplan has any say, the team will likely hold onto Ricky for the time being. Kaplan is known to be be pretty tight with that Levien guy and probably values his insight. It was Levien who reportedly tried to get Sacramento to pick Ricky back in the day but he did not have enough pull. It is probably better that way since upgrading from Ricky is not going to be as simple as finding a better shooting percentage. Last thing this team needs is to take one step forward and three steps back.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Just a wild guess that if Kaplan has any say, the team will likely hold onto Ricky for the time being. Kaplan is known to be be pretty tight with that Levien guy and probably values his insight. It was Levien who reportedly tried to get Sacramento to pick Ricky back in the day but he did not have enough pull. It is probably better that way since upgrading from Ricky is not going to be as simple as finding a better shooting percentage. Last thing this team needs is to take one step forward and three steps back.

Wait, you said Sacramento?

Trade Rubio for Rondo and all the Wolves problems are solved!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:Just a wild guess that if Kaplan has any say, the team will likely hold onto Ricky for the time being. Kaplan is known to be be pretty tight with that Levien guy and probably values his insight. It was Levien who reportedly tried to get Sacramento to pick Ricky back in the day but he did not have enough pull. It is probably better that way since upgrading from Ricky is not going to be as simple as finding a better shooting percentage. Last thing this team needs is to take one step forward and three steps back.

Excellent points, Phenom. We don't need to make big bold moves with major downside risk at this point. We have a great young core that needs time and good coaching to develop. Our main player personnel focus should be on adding a good 3-point shooter to the mix through the draft or free-agency. Otherwise, the key is getting the right PBO and coaching staff.
Monster

Post by Monster »

SameOldDrew wrote:I'm tired of the Rubiarguing. He's an above-average PG with a unique skill set that has advantages and disadvantages.

To me, Rubio's defense is very good, but not quite as good as sold early in this thread. He might hold his own guys to low shooting percentages, and I love how he picks up steals, but opponents often get dribble penetration against him which puts pressure on our bigs. Still, defensively, he's good, better off the ball and not an imposing defender, but he definitely moves the needle defensively.

Offensively, yeah, he truly is one of the worst shooters in the game, but given the passing, rebounding, FTs, hustle, and leadership he brings, he's worth it if we get a great 3 point shooting 2 guard to play with him. Part of Ricky's shooting weakness is exacerbated by the fact that we've got basically no 3 point shooting on this team right now.

I was a Rubio skeptic early on when so many people were treating him like a savior, but I've actually come around to liking him because of the intangibles he brings to the table. There are probably about starting 10 PGs I would definitely take over Rubio, but after that, Rubio stacks up pretty well. I would be very reluctant to trade him. First, I'd be looking to get a great 3 and D guy to put next to him at the 2.

This is a good post. I love I'll add to it Inhave always felt Rubio was a pretty good defender but wasn't sure just how good he was. This year I think I have realized some of those times he looks bad getting beat off the dribble is he is giving up that side and is supposed to get help. one on one defense is very difficult and the PG position is pretty tough. I think Rubio especially and the Wolves perimeter players have been better lately getting through screens which is a welcome sight.
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Shumway wrote:Alright, I've got a genuine question for everyone. Cool, I'd be particularly interested in your response given your coaching background and your view that you cannot win consistently (in the playoffs) with a primary ballhandler who is not a threat to score.

And this is a genuine question because I don't know the answer. It's not a leading question where I'm implying that Ricky's flaws are not an issue.

How does Ricky generate Free Throws at a moderate rate given that he's such a poor shooter and a poor finisher at the rim? I can really understand the theory that in late game situations, opposition coaches should be forcing Rubio to beat us with outside shooting. But surely opposition teams should be instructed not to foul Ricky, because it gets him out of jail. With his ballhandling, is he just able to get to such dangerous spots more consistently, that the defence is forced to treat him as a threat? Is that sufficient to keep the defence honest and offset his poor shooting (at least to a large degree)? Or is it something that gets coached and prepared for during a 7 game series?

Quite a few questions in there in the end.

Ricky is very good at drawing fouls. It's a skill he has developed very well. But one thing you should look at is his 3 point play opportunities per shooting foul drawn. And then compare that to what Wiggins does, and you will see part of the problem. Also keep in mind that at the end of games officials tend to swallow their whistles a little bit. What was a foul in the middle of the 2nd quarter often isn't a foul in the 4th quarter when the refs want the players to decide the game. But trust me, in a 7 game series NBA coaches are going to force Ricky to beat them from the outside. If he can't develop the ability to make clutch outside shots, it is going to be very difficult to have him on the floor.

I know it was a long time ago but how does Rubio compare to Avery Johnson in 1999 where I remember the Wolves and every other team in the playoffs basically dared him to shoot in the playoffs and he hit enough of them for the Spurs to win a title?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Shumway wrote:Alright, I've got a genuine question for everyone. Cool, I'd be particularly interested in your response given your coaching background and your view that you cannot win consistently (in the playoffs) with a primary ballhandler who is not a threat to score.

And this is a genuine question because I don't know the answer. It's not a leading question where I'm implying that Ricky's flaws are not an issue.

How does Ricky generate Free Throws at a moderate rate given that he's such a poor shooter and a poor finisher at the rim? I can really understand the theory that in late game situations, opposition coaches should be forcing Rubio to beat us with outside shooting. But surely opposition teams should be instructed not to foul Ricky, because it gets him out of jail. With his ballhandling, is he just able to get to such dangerous spots more consistently, that the defence is forced to treat him as a threat? Is that sufficient to keep the defence honest and offset his poor shooting (at least to a large degree)? Or is it something that gets coached and prepared for during a 7 game series?

Quite a few questions in there in the end.

Ricky is very good at drawing fouls. It's a skill he has developed very well. But one thing you should look at is his 3 point play opportunities per shooting foul drawn. And then compare that to what Wiggins does, and you will see part of the problem. Also keep in mind that at the end of games officials tend to swallow their whistles a little bit. What was a foul in the middle of the 2nd quarter often isn't a foul in the 4th quarter when the refs want the players to decide the game. But trust me, in a 7 game series NBA coaches are going to force Ricky to beat them from the outside. If he can't develop the ability to make clutch outside shots, it is going to be very difficult to have him on the floor.

I know it was a long time ago but how does Rubio compare to Avery Johnson in 1999 where I remember the Wolves and every other team in the playoffs basically dared him to shoot in the playoffs and he hit enough of them for the Spurs to win a title?

That was a very different era. Heck, you can go back to 1987 and see teams daring Dennis Johnson to shoot from 17 feet. It's actually pretty remarkable to see the transformation in how the game is played.

Rondo in the 2008 (and 2010?) Finals is a more recent example though.

[Note: I remember watching those Avery Johnson teams and screaming for Avery Johnson to "just shoot it!" Avery was a career 48% shooter... and shot 49% in that playoff run. He averaged 17 ppg on 60% fg the previous postseason.]
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/ep-64-all-star-weekend-nba-trade-deadline-wjoe-house

Hilarious and timely comment by Simmons around the 8:30 mark.