Wolves vs Heat GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
davemang

Re: Wolves vs Heat GDT

Post by davemang »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:23 pm
davemang wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:28 pm Does NAW remind anyone else of Corey Brewer (minus the smile of course)? Rudy looks about 5 years younger this year, I think his back must really have been limiting him more than a lot of us realized last year. Hopefully he can keep up DPOY candidate form and stay healthy. Consistently being able to take a one dribble straight line drive to the basket for a dunk/layup/foul would be amazing for him.

Heat were pretty undermanned, but I don't see them pulling off another late season run like they have in the past with the personnel they've lost and Jimmy seeming to be trending a little downwards on the court and availability-wise. Bam is still so freaking good though - he's definitely a player whose impact is hard to quantify.
I get where you’re coming from, but NAW doesn’t remind me of Corey at all. The only thing they share is relentless effort. Otherwise, NAW is different type of defender and I think much better than Brewer. Corey was all over the place and often reckless. NAW is a very disciplined defender who sticks like glue to the guys he’s guarding. Offensively, Corey was was often referred to as the drunken dribbler - a moniker he earned through his relatively poor handle. In contrast, NAW has a very good handle - good
enough to hold down PG duties from time to time. Corey reminds me more of Pat Bev but without the salty attitude and theatrics.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think just watching his awkward shot form, the way he runs the floor, their body shape/athleticism, and his high motor makes me think of Brewer. You're right though, NAW can actually dribble the ball and does gamble a lot less while providing better on-ball d and fights through screens better.
Monster

Re: Wolves vs Heat GDT

Post by Monster »

davemang wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:33 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:23 pm
davemang wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:28 pm Does NAW remind anyone else of Corey Brewer (minus the smile of course)? Rudy looks about 5 years younger this year, I think his back must really have been limiting him more than a lot of us realized last year. Hopefully he can keep up DPOY candidate form and stay healthy. Consistently being able to take a one dribble straight line drive to the basket for a dunk/layup/foul would be amazing for him.

Heat were pretty undermanned, but I don't see them pulling off another late season run like they have in the past with the personnel they've lost and Jimmy seeming to be trending a little downwards on the court and availability-wise. Bam is still so freaking good though - he's definitely a player whose impact is hard to quantify.
I get where you’re coming from, but NAW doesn’t remind me of Corey at all. The only thing they share is relentless effort. Otherwise, NAW is different type of defender and I think much better than Brewer. Corey was all over the place and often reckless. NAW is a very disciplined defender who sticks like glue to the guys he’s guarding. Offensively, Corey was was often referred to as the drunken dribbler - a moniker he earned through his relatively poor handle. In contrast, NAW has a very good handle - good
enough to hold down PG duties from time to time. Corey reminds me more of Pat Bev but without the salty attitude and theatrics.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think just watching his awkward shot form, the way he runs the floor, their body shape/athleticism, and his high motor makes me think of Brewer. You're right though, NAW can actually dribble the ball and does gamble a lot less while providing better on-ball d and fights through screens better.
I gotta say that Brewer was elite at taking the ball away from defenders. He had really good hands. He did go for steals but he was also just really good at taking the ball away from guys. brewer had like 2 full seasons where he shot over 30% from 3. NAW has not shot under 30% in any full season. I agree with Lip he is a better guy with the ball in his hands than Brewer too. Later in his career when he had to fill in as a PG for a while with the Wolves he did a solid job. Brewer is probably one of my favorite all time Wolves despite his flaws. I do think both guys while they play the game differently they both play like they really give a shit. NAW is more serious and Brewer was a guy that played hard and had fun but he was competitive.