Re: Timberwolves Roster

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

KiwiMatt wrote:Current Depth Chart:

Russel / Rubio / McLaughlin (TBD)
Beasley / Okogie / Nowell
Edwards / Culver / Layman
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt / McDaniels
Towns / Reid / Davis

I just don't think that can be the depth chart at the end of the day. That has all 3 primary offensive guards playing together and all 3 primary defensive guards playing together off the bench. Unless you are pulling Beasley or Edwards super early there's just no balance to that depth chart. I think we'll probably end up with Russell/Culver/Edwards starting with Ricky/Beasley/Okogie as the backups. Or Russell/Beasley/Culver starting with Ricky/Edwards/Okogie as the backups. We need a defensive presence in that starting unit and an offensive presence coming off the bench.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

khans2k5 wrote:

Towns / Reid / Davis

I just don't think that can be the depth chart at the end of the day. That has all 3 primary offensive guards playing together and all 3 primary defensive guards playing together off the bench. Unless you are pulling Beasley or Edwards super early there's just no balance to that depth chart. I think we'll probably end up with Russell/Culver/Edwards starting with Ricky/Beasley/Okogie as the backups. Or Russell/Beasley/Culver starting with Ricky/Edwards/Okogie as the backups. We need a defensive presence in that starting unit and an offensive presence coming off the bench.

I seriously doubt the 19-year old Edwards is going to be in the starting lineup on day one. I also have a hard time seeing a starting lineup that doesn't have Russell and Beasley in the backcourt. The interesting battle will be for the starting SF spot. My money would be on Okogie. Have you seen any of the "Tracking the Wolves" episodes on youtube? Okogie seems to be standing out and taking a leadership role.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

60WinTim wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Towns / Reid / Davis

I seriously doubt the 19-year old Edwards is going to be in the starting lineup on day one. I also have a hard time seeing a starting lineup that doesn't have Russell and Beasley in the backcourt. The interesting battle will be for the starting SF spot. My money would be on Okogie. Have you seen any of the "Tracking the Wolves" episodes on youtube? Okogie seems to be standing out and taking a leadership role.

I agree Tim. I think DLO, Beasley, and Okogie start, with Rubio and Edwards coming off the bench fairly early.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Towns / Reid / Davis

I agree Tim. I think DLO, Beasley, and Okogie start, with Rubio and Edwards coming off the bench fairly early.

I think one key is because there are so many young players the Wolves need to have at least one legit vet guy playing with the younger players at all times. Edwards starting IF he is actually deserving might help balance that Inexperience out a bit. Layman seems like a guy that while not exactly establishEd is a guy that will do what he is supposed to do and not dumb stuff he isn't Supposed to or is capable of. This team is gonna need a guy like that with the young guys. I mean Okogie has more experience than almost half the projected roster at this point. Lol I like that with Rubio we won't HAVE to just give the ball to Edwards and let him do stuff. He will have a PG playing with him at all times to help him out. I'm sure they will try and give him opportunities to make plays. I think about what they did with Wiggins last year at least early on in the season (probably started blocking out stuff after 20 or so games lol) to get him rolling again I think would actually be really good for Edwards too. Get Edwards the ball on the move.
Leado01

Post by Leado01 »

Folks have Layman buried in all of these. I wouldn't be shocked to see Layman starting at the 3 or taking time as a 3/4 sub.
1965-2023
"He Meant Well"
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

leado01 wrote:Folks have Layman buried in all of these. I wouldn't be shocked to see Layman starting at the 3 or taking time as a 3/4 sub.

Which big contract vet in Russell/Rubio/Beasley or which young player in Edwards/Culver/Okogie are you just kicking out of the rotation to make that happen?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

We'll see what happens but in a year where players will miss games because of Covid, I feel the Wolves have multiple guys who have positional flexibility.

At the end of the day. It comes down to our 2 stars. How good are they actually. I'm excited for the season and feel like the wolves will surprise people
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Towns / Reid / Davis

I agree. I see a starting lineup of DLO, Beasley, Okogie, Hernangomez and Towns. But i also agree that we'll see Ricky coming off the bench early. I'm not sure about Culver and Edwards. I think the role and minutes for each of those two will be determined in practice and then over the course of the season. They can take their time with Edwards. The really need to see what they have in Culver and whether he can pick up where he left off the last few weeks of the season when he seemed to be putting it all together and shooting much better.

As for Layman, he'll probably be the main backup for Juancho. I honestly don't expect much from Vanderbilt or McDaniels. In fact, I can see McDaniels spending at least the first half of the season in the G-League.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Towns / Reid / Davis

I agree. I see a starting lineup of DLO, Beasley, Okogie, Hernangomez and Towns. But i also agree that we'll see Ricky coming off the bench early. I'm not sure about Culver and Edwards. I think the role and minutes for each of those two will be determined in practice and then over the course of the season. They can take their time with Edwards. The really need to see what they have in Culver and whether he can pick up where he left off the last few weeks of the season when he seemed to be putting it all together and shooting much better.

As for Layman, he'll probably be the main backup for Juancho. I honestly don't expect much from Vanderbilt or McDaniels. In fact, I can see McDaniels spending at least the first half of the season in the G-League.

Agreed on all accounts.

I really want to see us bring back Jmac. Sick of shoving a square peg in round holes when it comes to trying to force 1st and 2and year players into handling the ball more than they are capable of or comfortable with. Did it to LaVine, then Wiggins, then Culver, and I pray it doesn't happen to Edwards, as I think that hampered the rest of their development on areas they should be focused on. With DLO, Rubio, and Jmac it wouldn't happen.

I am not exactly knowledgeable on Jmacs contract situation. Can he get offered something we cant match? I know there were still some teams looking for another PG, and the pickings were getting slim, Clippers come to mind.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kekgeek1 wrote:We'll see what happens but in a year where players will miss games because of Covid, I feel the Wolves have multiple guys who have positional flexibility.

At the end of the day. It comes down to our 2 stars. How good are they actually. I'm excited for the season and feel like the wolves will surprise people

We'll fire up the Wins Prediction Thread here in a week or two, although it will be a lot different since it's 72 vs. 82 games.

I do agree that the playing time debate is much ado about nothing. Guys will get hurt or sick and our front office will ensure its a looooooong recovery process.