Warriors offering Klay Thompson..

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
repplile [enjin:8691898]

Re: Warriors offering Klay Thompson..

Post by repplile [enjin:8691898] »

Taking into account their salaries and what we'd have to give up in order to acquire them i'd go C, B, A. Thompson is not worth 12m per year, period. Martin is already on our roster and dumping him would probably cost an asset. I like Stauskas and see him as at least an above average starter going forward for us, so at a third to a sixth the price of the other two I go with him.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

repplile wrote:Taking into account their salaries and what we'd have to give up in order to acquire them i'd go C, B, A. Thompson is not worth 12m per year, period. Martin is already on our roster and dumping him would probably cost an asset. I like Stauskas and see him as at least an above average starter going forward for us, so at a third to a sixth the price of the other two I go with him.

Even if Stauskas is your main prize for a Kevin Love trade? It appears as though he is out of the Wolves range at this point and the only way to move up is a trade with Love.
repplile [enjin:8691898]

Post by repplile [enjin:8691898] »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:
Even if Stauskas is your main prize for a Kevin Love trade? It appears as though he is out of the Wolves range at this point and the only way to move up is a trade with Love.

I don't think he's out of the wolves range with the 13th pick and if he is I doubt it would cost that much to move up a spot or two. I wouldn't want him as the main piece of the Love trade though. I'd do the Boston deal and take Embid or Gordon at 6 then use 13 and 2nd round picks or possibly 13 and 17 to move up for Stauskas.
foye2smith [enjin:6593248]

Post by foye2smith [enjin:6593248] »

Camden wrote:Just a quick question: Which one would you rather have?

A. Klay Thompson at $12M per year.
B. Kevin Martin at $6.5M per year.
C. Nik Stauskas at $2.5M per year.

Long term, A-C-B. If we got Klay at ~12 million it'd still be an overpay but it'd be tolerable if he's a top 10 SG going forward. The problem is that he's angling for the max so he could easily get north of 12 million from a dumb team whether it's the Wolves, the Wolves through RFA, or "team x" through RFA and it'll be closer to 15-16 million a year. Then I think Martin is the better player but Stauskas' potential at being a wingman with a little handle along with his shooting on a rookie deal would be more valuable. Hope to get about equal output and then fill in the team's other cracks with any possible cap space saved/breathing room from the tax threshold.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

lipoli390 wrote:Foye - Could be the calm before the storm. But more likely teams have cooled off on pursuing Love because they've figured out that Flip doesn't intend to trade him. Flip has a very high regard for his own coaching ability. So he probably thinks he can get this team to do so well next season that Love will want to stay. Hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, the Wolves will trade Love for a pathetic return in February and Glen's decision to hire Flip as our President of Basketball Operations will go down as another in a long line of hiring blunders by our Wolves' beloved owner.

CoolBreeze44 wrote:

I don't think the relative quiet out there is either calm before the storm or an indication that Flip intends to keep Love williingly. I don't think there is going to be any "storm"...too risky to give away valuable assets for only one year certain of Love...and GMs have to know that Kevin isn't the most loyal of players. I also think Flip is smart enough that he doesn't want a disgruntled star in his locker room, and would really like to trade Kevin if one of the many "offers" we are weighing in various threads are truly "offers"...I suspect they are merely rumors or pipe dreams.

Unfortunately, Lip, even though we come at the eventual outcome from different directions, I agree with where this is most likely heading...a pathetic return in February. Although I am clinging to the faint hope of Love deciding he really wants to be a Timberwolf, more likely is 4 months of having to watch a pouting Love in post-game interviews analyzing how "they" played, followed by a panic-forced trade in February. Something along the lines of Pau Gasol and a second round pick for Love and filler. Flip will be ripped when that happens, but I think if all the facts were known about the unattractive draft-night offers, he would be praised for at least getting something out of a situation David Kahn gave him.

Edit: I'm not sure how Coolbreeze ends up in the middle of this post, but I can't edit him out. To protect the innocent, because at least in this instance cool is innocent, he was not part of this discussion.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

In case you all missed it, Ric Bucher says the Love to Warriors talks are dead. I saw it on Hoopshype.

This could be the Warriors last ditch effort to keep Klay or maybe Jerry West has gotten his way.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:In case you all missed it, Ric Bucher says the Love to Warriors talks are dead. I saw it on Hoopshype.

This could be the Warriors last ditch effort to keep Klay or maybe Jerry West has gotten his way.

Yeah, and Hoopshype also says the Cavs are not considering including #1 in exchange for Love. Who knows if these rumors are true or not.

But it does seem like more deals are disappearing than being discussed as Thursday approaches. Does anyone have any credible information about any real deals that have been offered to Flip? I certainly don't.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I'm guessing the two teams are playing hardball over Barnes and/or Green. I think that one team will ultimately back down when draft night comes when the Love gets hot and heavy. Chad Ford said in his mock today that the deal was at the finish line before other names got thrown in. At the very least, the deal will probably fall back to those parameters.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

The one thing that I could see happening is, if we keep Love and the Warriors keep Klay and company, a sign and trade happening next summer. There won't be any good teams with max cap space available. I don't think their core is good enough to be a contender and maybe they just need one more year to realize that. That deal would let us unload a lot of middling contracts with Thompson's extension already agreed to in theory and we would cut the David Lee atrocity down to just a year which should be an acceptable price to get a newly signed Klay. Also, our role players are a little more appealing to them with 1 less year left on their deals. Maybe a Love/Brewer/Martin/Bazz for Thompson/Lee/Barnes.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:The one thing that I could see happening is, if we keep Love and the Warriors keep Klay and company, a sign and trade happening next summer. There won't be any good teams with max cap space available. I don't think their core is good enough to be a contender and maybe they just need one more year to realize that. That deal would let us unload a lot of middling contracts with Thompson's extension already agreed to in theory and we would cut the David Lee atrocity down to just a year which should be an acceptable price to get a newly signed Klay. Also, our role players are a little more appealing to them with 1 less year left on their deals. Maybe a Love/Brewer/Martin/Bazz for Thompson/Lee/Barnes.

That package doesn't interest me now and it won't interest me a year from now.