Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Cleveland just went NBA 2K on the league lol. You've been trade and you've been traded...EVERYBODY'S BEEN TRADEEEEEEEED.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:D wade to Miami. The Cavs have flipped their whole team

Rodney Hood - 17 ppg / 39% 3fg
George Hill - 10 ppg / 45% 3fg
Jordan Clarkson - 15 ppg / 32% 3fg
Larry Nance - 9 ppg / 7 reb / 60% fg

vs.

D. Wade - 11 ppg / 33% 3fg
C. Frye - 5 ppg / 33% 3fg
D. Rose - 10 ppg / 25% 3fg
I. Thomas - 15 ppg / 25% 3fg / horrific defense
J. Crowder - 9 ppg / 3 reb / 33% 3fg

***PLUS***

You know the Cavs are going to be one of the very first destinations for what's expected to be a very good crop of player buyouts. And the only thing they've lost of value so far is a 20-something draft pick. Nice job.

I do think some of these deals make sense. My issue with the Lakers deal is why they had to include a 1st round pick? Larry Nance had that much value? Clarkson was a guy they wanted to get rid of. Lou Williams is getting paid less money the next 3 years than Clarkson will the next 2.

Also trading Wade for basically a bag of balls seems like a big FU from Gilbert to LeBron.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Yeah, I love all of Cleveland's moves. They got overall much better, younger, and more athletic. They got pieces that should fit better. I like it a lot. Honestly would have liked to have seen Clarkson and Nance or Randle in Minnesota for what was given up. We even discussed it.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden wrote:Yeah, I love all of Cleveland's moves. They got overall much better, younger, and more athletic. They got pieces that should fit better. I like it a lot. Honestly would have liked to have seen Clarkson and Nance or Randle in Minnesota for what was given up. We even discussed it.

Yeah I agree. I would have been behind Randle for an expiring if we could have managed. I guess we will see what bigs are going for net summer. I imagine if we offered the MLE for Randle the Lakers would match but if they are really giving out two maxes they may not be able to afford his qualifying offer.

Also, I think Crowder is going to fit in well in Utah. Might see a version of him that's more like his Boston self than the meh version we've seen in Cleveland. The Jazz are going to be a tough playoff series for somebody. I don't think they'll win, but they could push it to six games I think.
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:
Camden wrote:Yeah, I love all of Cleveland's moves. They got overall much better, younger, and more athletic. They got pieces that should fit better. I like it a lot. Honestly would have liked to have seen Clarkson and Nance or Randle in Minnesota for what was given up. We even discussed it.

Yeah I agree. I would have been behind Randle for an expiring if we could have managed. I guess we will see what bigs are going for net summer. I imagine if we offered the MLE for Randle the Lakers would match but if they are really giving out two maxes they may not be able to afford his qualifying offer.

I think someone is gonna get a nice player in Randle this offseason for a pretty nice contract unless he ends up an unrestricted FA because the Lakers cut him loose and signs just a 1 year deal somewhere.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I really like Nance. Dirty-work, defensive type kinda like Crowder but much more athletic.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:

I really like Nance. Dirty-work, defensive type kinda like Crowder but much more athletic.

I think they should have been able to do all that without giving up their pick in the Lakers deal. They also took on some longer term salary as well. Nance could actually help them a ton because he can do a lot of things fairly well and it's kinda cool he goes to the team where his dad has his jersey retired. If Clarkson can hit 3's he could really give them a nice boast. I'm not sure what kind of a defender he is but he has to be an upgrade from the guys they had playing PG before and with him there they don't have to run George Hill out there for a bunch of minutes. I'm more intruiged by the Cavs than I was a few hours ago and really can it be any worse than what it was before? IF somehow Hill and Hood stay healthy that could be significant.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

I think they should have been able to do all that without giving up their pick in the Lakers deal. They also took on some longer term salary as well. Nance could actually help them a ton because he can do a lot of things fairly well and it's kinda cool he goes to the team where his dad has his jersey retired. If Clarkson can hit 3's he could really give them a nice boast. I'm not sure what kind of a defender he is but he has to be an upgrade from the guys they had playing PG before and with him there they don't have to run George Hill out there for a bunch of minutes. I'm more intruiged by the Cavs than I was a few hours ago and really can it be any worse than what it was before? IF somehow Hill and Hood stay healthy that could be significant.

I am probably in the minority here but I don't think the Cavs got much better at all today. Yes I get what they are doing and a switch of chemistry could really help that team a lot, but in the big picture they added 4 guys who were backups on non playoff teams. Also might be adding long term money, and having to make decision on solid but not great young players and they gave up a pick.

I don't think they got worse but I think a lot of moves that pretty much keeps them in the same spot they will struggle against the East and if they survive they are no closer to the Warriors.

kekgeek1 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

I am probably in the minority here but I don't think the Cavs got much better at all today. Yes I get what they are doing and a switch of chemistry could really help that team a lot, but in the big picture they added 4 guys who were backups on non playoff teams. Also might be adding long term money, and having to make decision on solid but not great young players and they gave up a pick.

I don't think they got worse but I think a lot of moves that pretty much keeps them in the same spot they will struggle against the East and if they survive they are no closer to the Warriors.

Turning Thomas, Rose, Wade, Shumpert, Frye, Crowder, and their own 2018 first-round pick into Hill, Clarkson, Hood, Nance, and a second-round pick is pretty special from an executive at the deadline, in my opinion. If those guys can come together quickly despite having no training camp, preseason, or half of a season, I think they may have saved their season.

Their salary commitments are two years or less, which isn't that bad. Clarkson at $12-13M annually for the next two years and Hill makes 18-19M annually the next two years. Nance makes $2.3M next year and Hood's a RFA.

They got out of Shumpert's $11M player option next year and Crowder's $7-8M the next two years.

Hill and Clarkson are quite the upgrade from what little Thomas and Rose gave them in the backcourt. Shumpert hasn't produced in several years and Hood gives them a wild card off the bench. And Nance immediately becomes the best big man they have on that roster until Love returns.

These deals make sense all around, in my opinion.