Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:Yeah, I love all of Cleveland's moves. They got overall much better, younger, and more athletic. They got pieces that should fit better. I like it a lot. Honestly would have liked to have seen Clarkson and Nance or Randle in Minnesota for what was given up. We even discussed it.

I really like Nance. Dirty-work, defensive type kinda like Crowder but much more athletic.

I think they should have been able to do all that without giving up their pick in the Lakers deal. They also took on some longer term salary as well. Nance could actually help them a ton because he can do a lot of things fairly well and it's kinda cool he goes to the team where his dad has his jersey retired. If Clarkson can hit 3's he could really give them a nice boast. I'm not sure what kind of a defender he is but he has to be an upgrade from the guys they had playing PG before and with him there they don't have to run George Hill out there for a bunch of minutes. I'm more intruiged by the Cavs than I was a few hours ago and really can it be any worse than what it was before? IF somehow Hill and Hood stay healthy that could be significant.

I am probably in the minority here but I don't think the Cavs got much better at all today. Yes I get what they are doing and a switch of chemistry could really help that team a lot, but in the big picture they added 4 guys who were backups on non playoff teams. Also might be adding long term money, and having to make decision on solid but not great young players and they gave up a pick.

I don't think they got worse but I think a lot of moves that pretty much keeps them in the same spot they will struggle against the East and if they survive they are no closer to the Warriors.

Turning Thomas, Rose, Wade, Shumpert, Frye, Crowder, and their own 2018 first-round pick into Hill, Clarkson, Hood, Nance, and a second-round pick is pretty special from an executive at the deadline, in my opinion. If those guys can come together quickly despite having no training camp, preseason, or half of a season, I think they may have saved their season.

Their salary commitments are two years or less, which isn't that bad. Clarkson at $12-13M annually for the next two years and Hill makes 18-19M annually the next two years. Nance makes $2.3M next year and Hood's a RFA.

They got out of Shumpert's $11M player option next year and Crowder's $7-8M the next two years.

Hill and Clarkson are quite the upgrade from what little Thomas and Rose gave them in the backcourt. Shumpert hasn't produced in several years and Hood gives them a wild card off the bench. And Nance immediately becomes the best big man they have on that roster until Love returns.

These deals make sense all around, in my opinion.

I agree the Cavs front office did a tremendous before the deadline. The Lakers also did well, clearing additional cap space for as many as two stars next summer.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Cavs did a marvelous job of clearing space for the lakers to sign bron +1 in the off season.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:Yeah, I love all of Cleveland's moves. They got overall much better, younger, and more athletic. They got pieces that should fit better. I like it a lot. Honestly would have liked to have seen Clarkson and Nance or Randle in Minnesota for what was given up. We even discussed it.

I really like Nance. Dirty-work, defensive type kinda like Crowder but much more athletic.

I think they should have been able to do all that without giving up their pick in the Lakers deal. They also took on some longer term salary as well. Nance could actually help them a ton because he can do a lot of things fairly well and it's kinda cool he goes to the team where his dad has his jersey retired. If Clarkson can hit 3's he could really give them a nice boast. I'm not sure what kind of a defender he is but he has to be an upgrade from the guys they had playing PG before and with him there they don't have to run George Hill out there for a bunch of minutes. I'm more intruiged by the Cavs than I was a few hours ago and really can it be any worse than what it was before? IF somehow Hill and Hood stay healthy that could be significant.

I am probably in the minority here but I don't think the Cavs got much better at all today. Yes I get what they are doing and a switch of chemistry could really help that team a lot, but in the big picture they added 4 guys who were backups on non playoff teams. Also might be adding long term money, and having to make decision on solid but not great young players and they gave up a pick.

I don't think they got worse but I think a lot of moves that pretty much keeps them in the same spot they will struggle against the East and if they survive they are no closer to the Warriors.

Turning Thomas, Rose, Wade, Shumpert, Frye, Crowder, and their own 2018 first-round pick into Hill, Clarkson, Hood, Nance, and a second-round pick is pretty special from an executive at the deadline, in my opinion. If those guys can come together quickly despite having no training camp, preseason, or half of a season, I think they may have saved their season.

Their salary commitments are two years or less, which isn't that bad. Clarkson at $12-13M annually for the next two years and Hill makes 18-19M annually the next two years. Nance makes $2.3M next year and Hood's a RFA.

They got out of Shumpert's $11M player option next year and Crowder's $7-8M the next two years.

Hill and Clarkson are quite the upgrade from what little Thomas and Rose gave them in the backcourt. Shumpert hasn't produced in several years and Hood gives them a wild card off the bench. And Nance immediately becomes the best big man they have on that roster until Love returns.

These deals make sense all around, in my opinion.

I agree the Cavs front office did a tremendous before the deadline. The Lakers also did well, clearing additional cap space for as many as two stars next summer.

Like I said I will be in the minority on this take, I understand that. Just in my opinion if I am Lebron I am probably excited that Thomas is no longer on the team, and that they got younger but if I am Lebron I am not excited that my 3rd best player going into the playoffs is George Hill and George Hill is having one of his worst years of his career and he was coming off the bench in Sacramento. Now will Hill might be more motivated that he is now in a playoff team.

I just don't think they got any closer to win a championship or keeping LeBron. And will have a lot of average players on big contracts (even if they are shorter deals). They also gave up a pick. In the grand scheme of things they added 4 players coming off the bench for non playoff teams.

Like I said I like the players they got individually, I think it was a nice haul and they got better but they got no closer to win a championship in my opinion and they can't win a championship with Hill/Hood as your third best player (also Love really struggles against the Warriors if they would get there) and if the goal is to win a championship with Lebron I dont think they got any closer to that goal.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

To be fair, kekgeek...

Hill is leading the NBA right now, shooting 45% on three pointers. And Rodney Hood was shooting 39% on threes. And both guys are coming from teams with some of the worst spacing in the entire league.

Both are going to get A LOT more open looks playing next to LeBron James. Plus, both can be on the court on the same time and give the Cavs a lot more flexibility switching from 3 or 4 or even 5 positions.

The move helps them reach the Finals. And once there... as we learned in 2016... anything can happen.

[Note: Hill's effort this season in Sacramento is troubling. It's disingenuous of him to be surprised/distant that the team sucks balls AFTER accepting a huge multi-year deal. I think we're going to see step up his game defensively to levels we've seen in the past. And he's going to be lauded for it... even though it's going to be clear he was tanking in Sacramento. I hate that about sports.]
Monster

Post by Monster »

One deal that's far from a big one is the Suns giving up a 2nd rounder for Elfrid Payton. He will be a RFA this summer probably won't get a big offer so he will be cheap. He just turned 23 and has some level of improvement as an offensive player the last couple years. Maybe he isn't a starter but at worse you get a pretty good fringe starter type untill you find your guy. I hadn't seen until yesterday Canaan was injured and put for the year so basically they had nothing at PG so just putting a competent guy on the floor these last few games likely helps the development of the guys they have at other spots. I guess the Magic got something for him but the suns had a bunch of picks coming so they were unlikely to draft and keep everyone.
Big O [enjin:13874644]

Post by Big O [enjin:13874644] »

monsterpile wrote:One deal that's far from a big one is the Suns giving up a 2nd rounder for Elfrid Payton. He will be a RFA this summer probably won't get a big offer so he will be cheap. He just turned 23 and has some level of improvement as an offensive player the last couple years. Maybe he isn't a starter but at worse you get a pretty good fringe starter type untill you find your guy. I

he is not a guy I want to watch all season - that hair is too distracting!

I guess I need a lesson on posting images...
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Big O wrote:I guess I need a lesson on posting images...

Your link: is to the Google cache version which cannot be linked to. To the right you'll see a button "View Image", click that and it'll open the original version, then copy the URL to that image as I did above.

Thanks SP!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Big O wrote:
monsterpile wrote:One deal that's far from a big one is the Suns giving up a 2nd rounder for Elfrid Payton. He will be a RFA this summer probably won't get a big offer so he will be cheap. He just turned 23 and has some level of improvement as an offensive player the last couple years. Maybe he isn't a starter but at worse you get a pretty good fringe starter type untill you find your guy. I

he is not a guy I want to watch all season - that hair is too distracting!

:) You may like at least the headline of this article.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-elfrid-payton-trade-orlando-magic-phoenix-suns-skiles-hennigan-20180208-story.html