2017 Offseason Part 2

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Phenom

Re: 2017 Offseason Part 2

Post by Phenom »

I'll add that i would like to see the team keep Ricky for at least the next season for continuity as well. Wig and KAT are both comfortable with him. I think we can count on hitting the ground running if the Wolves keep him whereas adding two ball dominant newbies might require a longer adjustment period.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I'd be interested to here what guys people would like to see added as a starting PF with a bit of a different outlook with Butler here. There are only so many higher level options even if we did have the cap space.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:I'd be interested to here what guys people would like to see added as a starting PF with a bit of a different outlook with Butler here. There are only so many higher level options even if we did have the cap space.

I like the starting PF we have -- whether it's Gorgui or KAT. It's time to switch forcus from what will be a very, very good starting lineup with Butler, Wiggins, KAT, Gorgui and Ricky. We need a bench!! Right now our bench is Cole Alrich, Tyus Jones and Belly -- and Belly's still in a boot coming off foot surgery. If we don't seriously upgrade and fill in our bench, the Butler acquisition will have been for naught.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Who says you can't improve the bench by adding improving our starters. I like this team a lot better if Gorgui is coming off the bench. I really think he would shine in that role.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:I'd be interested to here what guys people would like to see added as a starting PF with a bit of a different outlook with Butler here. There are only so many higher level options even if we did have the cap space.

I like the starting PF we have -- whether it's Gorgui or KAT. It's time to switch forcus from what will be a very, very good starting lineup with Butler, Wiggins, KAT, Gorgui and Ricky. We need a bench!! Right now our bench is Cole Alrich, Tyus Jones and Belly -- and Belly's still in a boot coming off foot surgery. If we don't seriously upgrade and fill in our bench, the Butler acquisition will have been for naught.

You guys know my position...the issue last year was not the quality of our bench, it was how they were employed. NBA role players need consistent minutes to reach their potential...you've all heard them say that...and they just didn't get that last year. Rush, Aldrich, and Hill have all had success as bench players with teams better than the Wolves...did they all coincidentally regress at the same time last year, or might it have had something to do with the minutes they were given? I don't know, but it sure seems odd to ne that they all became terrible players at the same time. Yes, go out and find some more bench role players that fill needs, but then you gotta play them...don't let them languish on the bench. Our starting five is so good that I wouldn't have a big problem backing them up with Tyus, Belly, Rush, and Aldrich for a 9-man rotation. Add a good shooter as a 10th man who is comfortable playing a reserve role (i.e. no chance of a starter like Reddick), and we will really have something going.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

lipoli390 wrote:

Lip, why you so insistent on not even exploring better options at the PG and PF. I know you've been a Gorgui fan from the start and love his character, but you gotta admit he and Kat aren't a perfect match. I don't think the best way to build a bench would be throw 15-20 mill JJ. In most cases i feel it's mistake to spend mid level money on a bench players, obviously there are exceptions. Paradigm shift for myself, there many reasons why we've been bad for so many years, our roster construction was the main reason.

Monster

Post by Monster »

Duke13 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Lip, why you so insistent on not even exploring better options at the PG and PF. I know you've been a Gorgui fan from the start and love his character, but you gotta admit he and Kat aren't a perfect match. I don't think the best way to build a bench would be throw 15-20 mill JJ. In most cases i feel it's mistake to spend mid level money on a bench players, obviously there are exceptions. Paradigm shift for myself, there many reasons why we've been bad for so many years, our roster construction was the main reason.

Roster construction has been part of it but mostly it's been a lack of talent and in some cases the talent we did have got injured. I don't have a problem exploring options to improve the roster but just continuing to add talent would be good.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I see the Nets are letting KJ McDaniels become a FA. His 3 point shooting numbers aren't great but he also hasn't played much since he left the Sixers. He is willing to hoist them up there. His do shit stats are plenty interesting espciallly his blocks. Has anyone seen this guy play? He intrigues me as a young guy to take a flyer on maybe offering a bit more than the vet min to get him. Does anyone know much about him?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I always liked him and thought he might have Jimmy Butler type potential. Something must be off with him to not be wanted by Nets.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Who says you can't improve the bench by adding improving our starters. I like this team a lot better if Gorgui is coming off the bench. I really think he would shine in that role.

I'd be fine with that scenario. I just don't think we can afford to sign a starting PF and still keep Gorgui. If there were no salary cap and money were no object, then I'd pursue a better starting PF and keep Gorgui as a rotation guy. But it's not practical. By the way, I haven't seen any FA PFs to strike me as significantly better than Gorgui.