Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BloopOracle

Re: Around the NBA (non-Wolves talk)

Post by BloopOracle »

khans2k5 wrote:Deangelo is quietly averaging 20/5/4 in just 26 minutes a night for those Nets as well.

still don't understand why they couldn't play him and Lonzo together
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

BloopOracle wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:Deangelo is quietly averaging 20/5/4 in just 26 minutes a night for those Nets as well.

They could be nicknamed "Defense Optional"
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
BloopOracle wrote:

They could be nicknamed "Defense Optional"

That trade was about money and therefore who might be playing next to Lebron. I would have been interested to see those guys playing next to each other and while neither might have been good defensively they both at least had legit SG length. Meanwhile Mosgov is shooting 3's in Brooklyn.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

What's it going to take for Adam Silver to change/abandon this conference structure? If LeBron goes to the Lakers, that should finally force his hand, right?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Cavs drop 4 straight after a loss to the Pacers who had their starters (without Turner still) drop 106 points on them.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

BizarroJerry wrote:What's it going to take for Adam Silver to change/abandon this conference structure? If LeBron goes to the Lakers, that should finally force his hand, right?

I don't see why James would leave the East. He is very well aware of his legacy...

And I dig the conference structure as is. We live in a world where the vast majority decry the "Everybody wins a trophy" mentality -- but that's exactly what the abolishing of conference is. It's not fair? Too bad.

What's more exciting? The Wolves (along with several other teams) scratching and clawing in every game because every game matters... with the payoff/downside being a playoff berth/early summer.

Or, teams competing for #10 - #13 seeds with the peace of mind they'll make the playoffs regardless?
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:What's it going to take for Adam Silver to change/abandon this conference structure? If LeBron goes to the Lakers, that should finally force his hand, right?

I don't see why James would leave the East. He is very well aware of his legacy...

And I dig the conference structure as is. We live in a world where the vast majority decry the "Everybody wins a trophy" mentality -- but that's exactly what the abolishing of conference is. It's not fair? Too bad.

What's more exciting? The Wolves (along with several other teams) scratching and clawing in every game because every game matters... with the payoff/downside being a playoff berth/early summer.

Or, teams competing for #10 - #13 seeds with the peace of mind they'll make the playoffs regardless?

Meh, I don't see it this way Abe. What it would accomplish is to actually have the best teams in the playoffs, and thus potentially create some actual competition. The playoffs as-is are a complete joke today, as there is simply no way for the bottom 6 teams in the East to even put up a remote fight come playoff time. If the NBA wants actual, legit playoff series....this may be necessary.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Hicks123 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Meh, I don't see it this way Abe. What it would accomplish is to actually have the best teams in the playoffs, and thus potentially create some actual competition. The playoffs as-is are a complete joke today, as there is simply no way for the bottom 6 teams in the East to even put up a remote fight come playoff time. If the NBA wants actual, legit playoff series....this may be necessary.

10 or even 12 of the 16 teams are irrelevant come playoff time anyway. That's been the case for decades. This would simply make the long 82-game regular season even less important and void of any real drama.

When we're talking about making sweeping changes to ensure the #13 - #16 best teams (out of 30 teams) get in the playoffs only to lose in the first round 85% - 90% of the time... I feel like it's more than a bit reactionary and definitely part of the entitled "everybody wins a trophy" card that everybody seemingly hates.

Real stakes build tension. Tension builds drama. Drama builds excitement.

[Note: Not to mention, it's a myopic approach to random occurrences. It's not like the actual rules of the league are tilted to give the East (and LeBron James) a decided advantage. It's simply the way it is for the time being. The Lakers had a similar advantage in the 1980s... should we view their titles and Finals appearances differently?]
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Hicks123 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

10 or even 12 of the 16 teams are irrelevant come playoff time anyway. That's been the case for decades. This would simply make the long 82-game regular season even less important and void of any real drama.

When we're talking about making sweeping changes to ensure the #13 - #16 best teams (out of 30 teams) get in the playoffs only to lose in the first round 85% - 90% of the time... I feel like it's more than a bit reactionary and definitely part of the entitled "everybody wins a trophy" card that everybody seemingly hates.

[Note: Not to mention, it's a myopic approach to random occurrences. It's not like the actual rules of the league are tilted to give the East (and LeBron James) a decided advantage. It's simply the way it is for the time being. The Lakers had a similar advantage in the 1980s... should we view their titles and Finals appearances differently?]

Abe, the league needs LeBron in the finals and will do whatever it can to make that happen. All the other teams in the league are helping with that as well. And I agree with Hicks, whether the power stays in the West or shifts more to the east, the best teams should be in the playoffs.
Monster

Post by Monster »

BizarroJerry wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Hicks123 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

Abe, the league needs LeBron in the finals and will do whatever it can to make that happen. All the other teams in the league are helping with that as well. And I agree with Hicks, whether the power stays in the West or shifts more to the east, the best teams should be in the playoffs.

It's amusing to look back at the last couple seasons and see that last year the top 16 teams reached the playoffs and the previous season the 8th seed in the east (pistons) had the same record as the 5 seed in the West. Of course there were years before that the east has some below .500 teams get in. I look back at some of the teams from the west that didn't make it and it pretty much makes me agree more with Abe than the best records get in which I would probably be ok with. Let's see how things play out. All it takes is a couple eastern conference teams to rise up.