Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Re: Time to talk offseason.

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I might do Jaime and filler for KAT
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

After taking a few days to digest last weeks defeat one thing has stood out to me and that is how important elite guard play is to win NBA championships. Yes we have Ant, but what we don't have is a great playmaker. Mike Conley Jr is serviceable but at 37 years old when the next season starts we can no longer rely on him to take us to the next level.

I'm in two minds. We either run it back and hit the second apron to give it one more crack with the core group. Or move KAT for cap relief and backcourt help for ANT.

A trade idea:

Minnesota receives: Dejounte Murray, Clint Capella, 2025 2nd RP (via MIN), 2027 2nd RP (via LAC)

Atlanta receives: Karl Anthony Towns

*Capella could be moved to third team for cap relief (22 mil expiring contract).
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

KiwiMatt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:54 pm After taking a few days to digest last weeks defeat one thing has stood out to me and that is how important elite guard play is to win NBA championships. Yes we have Ant, but what we don't have is a great playmaker. Mike Conley Jr is serviceable but at 37 years old when the next season starts we can no longer rely on him to take us to the next level.

I'm in two minds. We either run it back and hit the second apron to give it one more crack with the core group. Or move KAT for cap relief and backcourt help for ANT.

A trade idea:

Minnesota receives: Dejounte Murray, Clint Capella, 2025 2nd RP (via MIN), 2027 2nd RP (via LAC)

*Capella could be moved to third team for cap relief (22 mil expiring contract).
Here's the problem

If I'm Atlanta and I have the #1 pick, why trade for KAT just to guarantee that Sarr never pans out? On that team you'd have Young, Towns, Johnson at the very least getting all the touches and if the idea is for him to become the defensive anchor, isn't that what Okongwu was supposed to be?

If Atlanta didn't win the lottery, it would have opened up the possibility of doing this, but all this trade is put their #1 pick in a situation where no matter what he can't succeed.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

KiwiMatt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:54 pm After taking a few days to digest last weeks defeat one thing has stood out to me and that is how important elite guard play is to win NBA championships. Yes we have Ant, but what we don't have is a great playmaker. Mike Conley Jr is serviceable but at 37 years old when the next season starts we can no longer rely on him to take us to the next level.

A trade idea:

It would probably have to be a three way trade maybe to Golden State with Kuminga, Klay and picks going to Atlanta. I haven't paid much attention to Murray once he got to Atlanta, but I did just see that Murray averaged 26.5, 8.9 assists in 22 games that Young missed this season and the team defense went from giving up 124.1 ppg to 112.2 without Trae.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Here is one that is a bit less dramatic, but I think could work for both teams. What about Washington doing a sign and trade of Tyus Jones for Naz Reid?

One of the problematic themes of last season was how often Finch had to rely on Mike Conley to help settle things down on offense and get us into a good action, especially in crunch time. Can we really expect him to play more than 65 games next season? I mean, he barely made it out of the playoffs this year with both legs still working so I'm skeptical about how much longer he can provide starter-caliber minutes to this squad. And while Ant is growing as a decision maker, it's clear that he's not on the same level as a James Harden or Luka Doncic when it comes to passing and problem-solving against a good half court defense. He is NOT ready to become "point Ant".

Tyus Jones has grown a lot since he was last here. He actually has a good 3-point shot now (of course he developed that only AFTER he left Minnesota, smh...). And he is still the super low-turnover, game manager type PG that is not too dissimilar from Mike Conley. He will have no problem setting up KAT and Ant, yet has enough juice in his game now where he can score to keep the defense honest.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Another idea would be a deal involving KAT for Darius Garland. Would likely need a third team to balance rosters.

Minnesota receives: Darius Garland, Dean Wade and two 2nd RP's (OKC 2025 and 2027)

Cleveland receives: Karl Anthony Towns, Josh Giddey, Kenrich Williams and 1st RP (OKC 2025).

Oklahoma receives: Jarrett Allen, Wendell Moore Jr.

Resign: Kyle Anderson (2 years 11 mil), McLaughlin (2 years 5.5 mil), Garza (2 years 4.5 mil).

Draft: Trade this years 1st for future draft compensation. Draft BPA with 37th Pick.

Would give us 14 contracted players and come in just under the 2nd Apron of 189.5 million.

Lineup
Garland / Conley / McLaughlin
Edwards / NAW
McDaniels / Anderson / Minott
Reid / Wade / Leonard
Gobert / Garza
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:58 pm What are the chances of getting Jaquez and Herro from Miami for KAT or Rudy?
Clearly not for KAT with Butler on the team.

For those who question the lack of PnR with Ant/Rudy, I believe it has more to do with a limitation on Rudy's part. I think Rudy is fine catching lobs and dunking when the ball is coming from in front of him, but he seems to struggle with passes coming from the side or rear. It doesn't matter if it is KAT or Ant throwing the pass he continues to fumble those away.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

mjs34 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:19 pm
Coolbreeze44 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:58 pm What are the chances of getting Jaquez and Herro from Miami for KAT or Rudy?
Clearly not for KAT with Butler on the team.

For those who question the lack of PnR with Ant/Rudy, I believe it has more to do with a limitation on Rudy's part. I think Rudy is fine catching lobs and dunking when the ball is coming from in front of him, but he seems to struggle with passes coming from the side or rear. It doesn't matter if it is KAT or Ant throwing the pass he continues to fumble those away.
:lol: Agree. Butler would make KAT wear lipstick and pretty dress - like the dominant Alpha male does to his weaker prison cell roomie :lol:
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

From X… I don’t even know what this means:

Karl-Anthony Towns' role with the Minnesota Timberwolves could be reevaluated under new ownership, per @WindhorstESPN

“I do not think they would tear the team apart, however, I do think there’s a possibility if the ownership change took place that Karl Towns’ role would be reevaluated,”

(Via The Hoop Collective / h/t @RealGM )
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Sundog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:29 am From X… I don’t even know what this means:

Karl-Anthony Towns' role with the Minnesota Timberwolves could be reevaluated under new ownership, per @WindhorstESPN

“I do not think they would tear the team apart, however, I do think there’s a possibility if the ownership change took place that Karl Towns’ role would be reevaluated,”

(Via The Hoop Collective / h/t @RealGM )
That is a little ambiguous...

It's interesting because we all probably think of KAT as being part of the current core group since he's the second leading scorer on the team and been with the franchise for 9 years. But then think about the fact he's only played in about half the regular season games over the past two years. So if he gets traded but no one else from the starting 5 goes, is that still keeping the core together or not?

I personally think they don't trade him but listen to offers and if something wows them that also helps support the second timeline (post-Rudy and post-Conley) then they might pull the trigger. But I don't see the Wolves actively looking to move him.