Hinkie steps down

General NBA News
TAFKASP

Hinkie steps down

Post by TAFKASP »

I'm sure this was a 'Step down or get fired' type of move, but it should have happened long ago, this guy is Kahn level turrible!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15150185/sam-hinkie-steps-philadelphia-76ers-general-manager-president-basketball-operations
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Hinkie steps down

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

TheSP wrote:I'm sure this was a 'Step down or get fired' type of move, but it should have happened long ago, this guy is Kahn level turrible!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15150185/sam-hinkie-steps-philadelphia-76ers-general-manager-president-basketball-operations

Ehhh... Slow down. Kahn was miles worse, IMO. Also, at least Hinkie had a plan. Kahn just seemed to make shit up as he went, which was unbelievable. And while Hinkie does deserve a lot of criticism, the Sixers are super stacked with future picks moving forward. Kahn, on the other hand, once traded a first round pick just to get rid of Wesley Johnson in order to sign a chronically injured Brandon Roy on his comeback tour. Hinkie's never matched that level of stupidity.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Camden wrote:
TheSP wrote:I'm sure this was a 'Step down or get fired' type of move, but it should have happened long ago, this guy is Kahn level turrible!

Ehhh... Slow down. Kahn was miles worse, IMO. Also, at least Hinkie had a plan. Kahn just seemed to make shit up as he went, which was unbelievable. And while Hinkie does deserve a lot of criticism, the Sixers are super stacked with future picks moving forward. Kahn, on the other hand, once traded a first round pick just to get rid of Wesley Johnson in order to sign a chronically injured Brandon Roy on his comeback tour. Hinkie's never matched that level of stupidity.

It's hard to get picks wrong when you trade them all away ASAP. The NBA isn't he who acquires the most draft picks wins league and Hinkie has resided over the only team that's been consistently worse than the Wolves. He's done a shitty job of surrounding his young talent with any sort of stable influence, pretty much threw a bunch of immature millionaire kids in a room and left them to their own devices. Hinkie is a different kind of turrible than Kahn, but he's no less turrible.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Seriously, how old are you? Do you dress yourself?

Jeff Van Gundy said it best last night on ESPN after the HOU/DAL game. This was the plan from the start, only the owners didn't count on the fans losing patience (I did, but no one asked me). In terms of your "trade them all away ASAP", comment, since he only traded one (MCW), I'll assume you mean him. OK. So how's he doing in MIL? And what would you have done, keep him until it was clear how bad he was, and then make a Wesley type trade where you have to include a pick? Please go become a Spurs fan. I beg you.

We had a 76er thread a while back, and I stand by what I said. Hinkie's two big mistakes was never getting character vets to mentor the young players, and spending the #3 pick on Embiid when it was clear that he was Greg Oden 2.0. And I stand by what I said about Brett Brown. We still have no idea if he can coach or not.

Also, typical Colangelo. Swoop in, spend lots of money on free agents after the last GM did the heavy lifting. Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Jeremy Roenick. The last time Colangelo built something from scratch, Anfernee Hardaway, Stephon Marbury and Tom Gugliotta were prominently involved. He gave up picks to get rid of Gugliotta, and who knows, maybe Isiah Thomas will trade for his next two mistakes.

Sorry. A lot of that was over the line.

When Hinkie interviewed for the PHI job, it is well documented that he told them this is what he was going to do. I believe powerpoint was even involved.

They hired him. They didn't ask if he was going to bring in "character vets". They didn't ask him if he was going to pass on guys with SHAKY injury histories.

And how does Brett Brown absolutely skate on this?
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Camden wrote:

I agree with your comparison of Kahn versus Hinkie. That being said, Hinkie seemed so rigidly attached to "The Process" that he was unwilling to make course corrections along the way. For example, he could have kept stockpiling draft picks while at the same time spending a little bit more on some halfway decent vets - not the type good enough to make you a middle-of-the-road team, but good enough to help support the young guys and at least be a bit more competitive.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:

I agree with your comparison of Kahn versus Hinkie. That being said, Hinkie seemed so rigidly attached to "The Process" that he was unwilling to make course corrections along the way. For example, he could have kept stockpiling draft picks while at the same time spending a little bit more on some halfway decent vets - not the type good enough to make you a middle-of-the-road team, but good enough to help support the young guys and at least be a bit more competitive.

Got points here. After reading his 13 page manifesto last night I also felt like he was one of those really smart guys with probably great ideas that came in and didn't really think about how to you know like do stuff a regular person would do. It's a comedy sitcom but in the show "The Office" Michael Scott is one of the most inept people in so many ways and does some terrible stuff but at the end of the day there is some things he does that actually works. From what I gather it seems like Hinkie may have tried to change everything and didn't keep a few things in place or at least as it has been mentioned by Q and others at least have some moderately worthwhile vets on the roster to help things. Combined with all that I wonder if his ability to communicate what he wanted to do was a problem. The fact that he felt he needed to write out a 13 page manifesto (which was good reading but an odd one to give on your way out) to explain to his investors what he had been doing the last 3 years when a shlub like me was aware of most of the thinking of it seems like he didn't think people got it. Kind of a disconnect there and AP guy said communication was an issue. Makes sense.

Q12543 wrote:
Camden wrote:

No, no, no. Once you decide you are going to be bad, you go be bad. Maybe Rasheed Wallace still has something in the tank and you win 5 more games. Is that enough to soothe your fanbase? Do you want Wallace within 100 yards of your 19 year old?

I remember the draft last year. BOS had the 16th pick because they were the 7th seed in the east and were promptly swept by CLE. About 3 days before the draft, Ainge wakes up one morning and realizes he has the 16th pick in a 10-player (if that) draft and BOS is not a championship contender. So he's calling CHA and MIA and offering them SIX picks (his pick from '15, one or two protected picks, and three or four seconds) just so he can move up to draft Kaminsky or Winslow (he said later he had no idea which player would be there, but he thought it would be those two). That's not "The Process". Hell, that's not even "A Process".

Got points here. After reading his 13 page manifesto last night I also felt like he was one of those really smart guys with probably great ideas that came in and didn't really think about how to you know like do stuff a regular person would do. It's a comedy sitcom but in the show "The Office" Michael Scott is one of the most inept people in so many ways and does some terrible stuff but at the end of the day there is some things he does that actually works. From what I gather it seems like Hinkie may have tried to change everything and didn't keep a few things in place or at least as it has been mentioned by Q and others at least have some moderately worthwhile vets on the roster to help things. Combined with all that I wonder if his ability to communicate what he wanted to do was a problem. The fact that he felt he needed to write out a 13 page manifesto (which was good reading but an odd one to give on your way out) to explain to his investors what he had been doing the last 3 years when a shlub like me was aware of most of the thinking of it seems like he didn't think people got it. Kind of a disconnect there and AP guy said communication was an issue. Makes sense.

This is the new normal. When owners woke up one day and said "Wait. I got a billion dollar business here. I am not going to trust it to some former player with a high school education that couldn't balance his check book", they turned to guys like Sam Hinkie. And this is what guys like Hinkie do. They write 13 page manifestos. Guys like Tommy Heinsohn get drunk and punch a yocal. But they don't even get interviewed anymore.

I don't want to start a new thread, but did anyone read those quotes by Taylor? KG can stay as long as he wants? Sam Mitchell can stay as long as he wants? Seriously? And Milt Newton telling BlondeRicky that he was close to being traded when he never was close? And Milt will be overseeing the draft? This is how he parlayed wedding invitations into 3 billion dollars?