GDT: An entire season comes down to...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

GDT: An entire season comes down to...

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

... about 12 minutes.

Arguably the best Timberwolves team in franchise history is on the ropes down 3 - 0.

The Timberwolves have played terribly. The Mavericks stars have played incredibly well late in games. All the breaks -- whether bounces, calls or video reviews -- have seemed to go Dallas' way.

Things are bleak.

But I think the Timberwolves can win this game (and next game). We'll find out in the first 12 minutes. I can also see this one being a 20-point Dallas win as the Timberwolves let go of the proverbial rope.

Dallas will come out looking for haymakers. The Wolves just need to stay on their feet. Duck and weave and bob long enough to get their legs back...

[Note: Yes. My first GDT. Ever. Miracles do happen?]
Q-is-here

Re: GDT: An entire season comes down to...

Post by Q-is-here »

Abe! Yes, we are indeed desperate!

The WSJ had an article today on Luka Doncic and how he has made the high pick and roll an unstoppable play where there are literally no good defensive schemes that he can't easily solve (go under the screen it's a 3, go over the screen and trail it's a mid range bucket or ally-oop; blitz the screen and it's an open corner 3 because the low man has to take the roller, etc.).

How much have we tried zone in this series? I have been traveling and doing family stuff so I have missed chunks of Games 2 & 3, but it feels like we've only gone zone for very brief stints. That might be something we want to do more of when Luka is on the floor.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:34 am Abe! Yes, we are indeed desperate!

The WSJ had an article today on Luka Doncic and how he has made the high pick and roll an unstoppable play where there are literally no good defensive schemes that he can't easily solve (go under the screen it's a 3, go over the screen and trail it's a mid range bucket or ally-oop; blitz the screen and it's an open corner 3 because the low man has to take the roller, etc.).

How much have we tried zone in this series? I have been traveling and doing family stuff so I have missed chunks of Games 2 & 3, but it feels like we've only gone zone for very brief stints. That might be something we want to do more of when Luka is on the floor.
They seemed to play more zone in game 3. But if I remember correctly, it was largely with Doncic off the court?
FNG

Post by FNG »

Ok, Abe...just remember you're now on the hook for teeing up the GDT Thursday, Saturday and Monday also. You're going to carry us through the greatest comeback in NBA history...let's go Wolves!

All seriousness aside (As Steve Allen...someone you kids don't remember...used to say) winning four more games against a team with two bona fide stars who have shown they are much better at closing games than we are is a near impossible task. That said, I do think we will win tonight, and then "steal" a win at home Thursday. After that I make no more predictions. I think Dallas was the best team in the Association after the mid-season trade. But tonight they will be missing Lively and Kleber, and that changes their look immensely. Ant has struggled getting to the rim for two reasons- Jones Jr. is tough to beat off the dribble, and then Lively (or Gabbert) is lurking behind him if Ant does beat him. Lively has been especially challenging for us on defense, but I don't think they are the best defensive team in the league with him out. Ant will get to the rim tonight for a few stirring dunks, just like he did once in Game 3 after Lively went out, and that will inspire the team to a victory tonight.

But what about KAT? Can we beat a good Dallas team even without two of their three big men if KAT continues to shoot poorly? I'm not confident KAT can find his shooting stroke. So much of shooting is confidence, and KAT must not have any right now after going 0 for 8. I still think we will see a short-handed, perhaps not as motivated, Dallas team tonight- and I think we can win this one even without KAT's 3-point shooting. Vegas seems to agree, as Dallas is only a 1 1/2 point favorite. But our chances tonight are much better, and I will feel a little more excited about Thursday, if KAT can return to the 40% 3-point shooter he has always been.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

AbeVigodaLive wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:59 am
Q-is-here wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:34 am Abe! Yes, we are indeed desperate!

They seemed to play more zone in game 3. But if I remember correctly, it was largely with Doncic off the court?
That's odd...seems like a zone would take away the high pick and roll. Then again, without Lively in the mix may be the lob threat is a bit more muted (although Powell is not exactly ground bound either).
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Kleber has been cleared to play tonight
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:47 am Kleber has been cleared to play tonight
Wonderful. I'm sure he'll make every damn corner 3 he takes tonight.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

The Kat redemption tour starts tonight.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Good news for fans who want to see one more home game for our Wolves- The Extender (Scott Foster) has tonight's game. I don't have a current stat, but two years ago Foster was 19-2 in favor of teams facing elimination. I think Kek had another stat about our very good record when Foster refs our games (the Rudy money sign game being an exception).

Games are much less watchable when his crew refs a game (get ready for about 60 fouls and a 3 1/2 hour game), but this has to be considered very good news for our struggling Wolves.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

FNG wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:28 am Good news for fans who want to see one more home game for our Wolves- The Extender (Scott Foster) has tonight's game. I don't have a current stat, but two years ago Foster was 19-2 in favor of teams facing elimination. I think Kek had another stat about our very good record when Foster refs our games (the Rudy money sign game being an exception).

Games are much less watchable when his crew refs a game (get ready for about 60 fouls and a 3 1/2 hour game), but this has to be considered very good news for our struggling Wolves.
Nice stats. I love it. We can win this one I feel it! 8-)