Twins playoffs thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Twins playoffs thread

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Yes, I did it. Last night's win combined with losses by Texas and LA puts us 4 1/2 games up with only 8 to play (and still 4 games against hapless Detroit still ahead)...there will be a playoff game in NY a week from Tuesday. So it's time to start talking about how we want the pitching to set up for that game and a possible series against Cleveland.

The good news is that Santana is lined up to pitch in NY with his normal rest. But Mollie now has the opportunity to set up his rotation for Cleveland, and I'm curious how he will do it. Right now they would open in Cleveland with Berrios, followed by Colon and Mejia back in Mpls...I don't like that. Colon has been shelled his last 3 outings, and it's clear that the league has figured him out...don't take any pitches and jump on that first "fast" ball. I think Mollie needs to go with a 4-man rotation in this order: Gibson (our best pitcher the past month), Berrios, Santana and Mejia. And he can adjust his rotation the last 8 games of the season to make this happen. Is he smart enough to do this? Probably not. But I think it's his best strategy. Will that rotation be good enough to beat Cleveland. Doubtful. But let's at least try to make it competitive, and running Colon out there with as bad as he has been the past 2 weeks would be a disaster.
Monster

Re: Twins playoffs thread

Post by Monster »

I'm not really going to be worried about the possible playoff rotation and all that. This is house money we are playing with and despite this duct tape and a prayer rotation (and for a lot of the season bullpen) we are here. I do think it will be interesting to see who they keep on the playoff roster.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I can't believe I'm saying this but Kyle Gibson should start game 1 in Cleveland if we get that far. Depending on outcome of game 1 I would pitch Colon Game 2. Berrios or Erv on short rest depending on situation. Game 4 whoever didn't start game 3 and then end with a Gibby for game 5.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I'll just say Berrios for sure can't pitch till we're back in Minnesota
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Magic number is at 2.

Twins win. Angles win. Magic Number is 1.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well last night LST's concerns about Colon because more real. Maybe there are some advanced stats that say he is getting unlucky again like was in Atlanta. Regardless it's hard to have confidence in him. The good news is that it's the playoffs and the Twins may not need him to may a start.

Last night was a terrific win and the offense really came through. Rosario had a heck of a night and so did Dozier. Rosario now has 27 HRs. One spot that hasn't been mentioned much is the catcher spot. Castro has hit well the last couple months and Giminez has plenty solid numbers (particularly looking at OBP) too. The numbers aren't fantastic but the OBP puts them around the top 3rd of the league and considering going into this season these guys weren't exactly brought in because of their bats they have given the Twins something there.

Now it's time to talk about that bullpen. The reality is last night despite some less than stellar performances they had to pitch 8 innings and gave up 4 runs against a good team. That's not terrible. Duffy is at best just a guy right now although I have faith he can be better than that in the future. My level of confidence in him isn't particularly high. His strikeout numbers are at least encouraging. Boshers is a bit more predictably meh. They also seem to use him more selectively. Presley has been better than either of those guys but I don't have full confidence in him either. It his ERA the last couple moths inspires much more confidence but he also isn't as good as those numbers. Gee has been pretty out of the pen. Other than the Rodgers Hildenburger Belise combo he might inspire as much faith as anyone for me. So it will be interesting to see who all they put on the playoff roster for relievers. There are options and some of them are not stellar. I'm curious about what they do but not exactly wringing my hands. It is what it is and we got this far so...let's see how much farther we can go.

Edit:

Somehow I forgot Busenitz he has been very good also.

They did it. Wildcard Next Tuesday at 7pm.

Let the games begin. Santa has to start that game. Do they limit his pitch count or not let him start tonight?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Some typical AbeVigodaLive-esque stats:

- Minnesota hasn't won a season series vs. NY in 25 years.
- Minnesota is 33 - 89 (.270) vs. the Yankees since 2001. (About the same winning percentage as Bill Blair or Randy Wittman with the Wolves... better than Rambis though!)

- And as everybody knows... NY has knocked the Twins out of 4 of the team's last 5 playoff appearances... with the Twins winning only 2 games in those 4 series...

Gonna make it sweeter when the Twins win though, right?