A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Arcia DFA'ed Thoughts?

Post by Monster »

Well?
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Arcia DFA'ed Thoughts?

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I just had a long conversation on the golf course on this topic today. One of my friends in the foursome today was in the room 15 years ago (as the Twins lawyer back then) with the Pohlads, McPhail and Jerry Bell when they made the decision to let Ortiz go, and he bristled when I said this situation was nothing like the Ortiz situation. He said "How do you know?". And he reminded me that Arcia is tied for 4th with Gaetti for most HRs in their first 250 ABs as a Twin (behind Jimmy Hall, Tony O and Morneau).

All that said, we both agreed that this wasn't a bad decision. Arcia was not improving in the OF (much worse than Sano, despite having played out there for several seasons) and pitchers had learned that he wasn't able to lay off the high fastball. He has a lot of natural ability and power, but he seemed to have an arrogance about him that makes him uncoachable. With Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Kepler and Santana all ahead of him, I have no problem with this decision.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Interesting info LST. My brother and I texted back and forth today and basically came to the same conclusion. I'll add a few thoughts.

46 Ks in 103 ABs. That's bad I don't care how you slice it

The Twins are loaded with OF prospects and power prospects. At some point they are going to have to make some decisions on guys. It's possible that they may miss out on a good player. I just read an article about how maybe Grossman can be another guy that the Astros gave up on too early like some other guy that's been terrific for the Tigers I think. There is only so much young talent you can hold onto. I'm glad I am not making some of these decisions.

The Twins OF was a mess and Arcia had opportunities to take advantage and didn't. That's sorta bad on a team as bad as the Twins are that he couldn't do something. Yeah I know he didn't get to play everyday at times but still

Robbie Grossman has out hit out powered Arcia this year and it wasn't that long ago he was a solid enough prospect of his own. He isnt drastically older than Arcia and while I don't expect him to keep hitting like he has there is no way you dump him to keep Arcia. Again the numbers game.

Arcia wasn't good as a defensive OF. When you aren't hitting and you can't field what is left?

It's too bad Arcia didn't find himself or at least the Twins couldn't get something for him although I suppose it's possible he could get dealt for something minor depending on how the process plays out. It's on to the next young guy to get excited about and the Twins have a bunch.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16482472/oswaldo-arcia-acquired-tampa-bay-rays-minnesota-twins

Maybe the Twins can get the Korean pitcher back that they gave up for Jepsen.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Yay they got something. Or I guess to be accurate they will get something. Better than losing him for absolutely nothing which is what I expected.