Vikings 2019 Offseason Thread

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Vikings 2019 Offseason Thread

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Sorry it took me a while to get this thread going. We pick 18th this year and have some players to make decisions on either cutting or resigning. It will be interesting how we address the OL. In consecutive years we have added starting rookies.

A Mock drafts have us taking:
18. Minnesota Vikings: Beau Benzschawel, G, Wisconsin
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813203-2019-nfl-mock-draft-post-week-17-breakdown-for-first-round-prospects

Scouting report:

Functional Athleticism - Ends far too many plays on the ground, limitations stem from tight hips and heavy feet when trying to slide or mirror defenders at the point of attack or on the second level. Pulls are rigid and labored, although has found modest success on the boundary thanks to patient runners.

Football IQ - Passes off swap responsibilities effectively and does well to feel developing pressure. Highly developed sense of angles and combination blocks are successful to create angles. Crafty screen game releases.

Anchor Ability - Strong as hell. Very capable power player who will lock horns in tight spaces effectively, which plays into his strengths. If uprooted at the base will struggle to adjust the feet and re-gather his balance and control, can't afford to absorb heavy punches in protection.

Hand Technique - Initial hand punch often doesn't stick on the frame of his target. Frustrating lack of consistency to latch onto bodies. Punch is effective driving out of his stance courtesy of the forward momentum his pads will delivery to set the tone.

Balance - Struggles to play within his frame. Would like to see greater discipline to stay within his limitations. Hip tightness results in narrow feet after generating initial push off of the LOS and the end result is spinning off of blocks.

Pass Sets - Is rather rigid in his pass sets and plays tall due to tightness through the hips. Heightened pads often result in an initial concession of space at initial contact. Would like to see translation of natural power go into pass protection.

Flexibility - Hips are visibly tight and biggest barrier to success. Struggles to flip the hips against cross-face rushes and will fold at the waist trying to sustain the lean onto defenders. Has a difficult time dropping the pads down to play with leverage against power.

Power at POA - People mover. Rocks hard into his initial contact through the torso and successfully bubbles the point of attack. Has the natural strength to bully defenders he's catching flush. Attractive fit in the run game for a gap/power system thanks to consistency pushing the pile.

Length/Extension - Doesn't trust his length and is betrayed by heavy feet. Has ample reach but his overall lack of mobility results in him not playing with power with hands extended and often times completely sliding off of blocks.

Competitive Toughness - Needs to be protected to maximize his abilities, capable of blowing apart defensive interiors if asked to move forward in the run game. Needs to channel his physical style of play more into his hands, particularly when engaged in his pass sets.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/24/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-beau-benzschawel/
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Vikings 2019 Offseason Thread

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

The public dissention between Cousins and Thielen was tough to watch during yesterday's game, and hopefully isn't an issue going forward. This won't be a popular take, but I give Thielen my Jimmy Butler award on the Vikings this year...managing to go from my favorite player on the team to my least favorite. Tough to do. Some may just call his public demeanor during the last quarter of the season "fiery", but I called it destructive...he seems to be a terrible teammate when things aren't going well. We all saw some of his behavior on camera, but I will tell you it was even worse on the sidelines in the last three home games of the season that I attended. Cousins was a disappointment in many ways this season, but Thielen getting in his face when it was clear to anyone watching the game that the OL was giving Cousins no time to get the ball to his wideouts was disgraceful. Thielen needs to grow up.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well folks I've decided to retire as a die hard NFL and Vikings fan. I'll be around maybe catch a game here or there but I've contemplated moving on from watching this brutal sport for years. They were just too damn interesting. Gonna keep up with Basketball and Baseball.

That said this team has some talent but has its holes. The window is closing with tough to replace guys like Linval and Smith getting older. They need to shore up that Oline and get the right offensive coordinator. It's not gonna be easy to do.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

longstrangetrip wrote:The public dissention between Cousins and Thielen was tough to watch during yesterday's game, and hopefully isn't an issue going forward. This won't be a popular take, but I give Thielen my Jimmy Butler award on the Vikings this year...managing to go from my favorite player on the team to my least favorite. Tough to do. Some may just call his public demeanor during the last quarter of the season "fiery", but I called it destructive...he seems to be a terrible teammate when things aren't going well. We all saw some of his behavior on camera, but I will tell you it was even worse on the sidelines in the last three home games of the season that I attended. Cousins was a disappointment in many ways this season, but Thielen getting in his face when it was clear to anyone watching the game that the OL was giving Cousins no time to get the ball to his wideouts was disgraceful. Thielen needs to grow up.

Cousins shows no trust in his receivers. If they aren't wide open he doesn't throw them the ball. If you are a wideout for him you are gonna get frustrated with that. Even Diggs walked over to him after that incident and told him to trust him out there. Cousins needs to get rid of the ball. He had 3+ seconds more than enough times yesterday to get the ball out on a timing route. He doesn't do it.

How do the Bears give up 0 sacks and Cousins is pressured all game? Trubisky got the ball out fast all game long even when his receivers weren't open. And they rewarded him by making several good plays to win the ball. There were maybe 2-3 plays where we even had a chance at a sack because he held the ball and he escaped from those situations. When it's single man coverage Cousins has to just get rid of it and trust our guys are going to win that matchup. He wants 5 seconds back there on every play and that's not how the NFL works. The best QB's get the ball out in 3-4 seconds or extend the play with their legs to create that extra time they need. Cousins does neither hence why he's under fire all game long. Yes there are legitimate times where he has no chance, but that is a small percentage of his drop backs. The rest are on him for having no feel for the rush or ability to move in the pocket because he has no idea where the defense is coming from.

Early in the season he trusted his WR's and you saw Thielen and Diggs make some incredible catches. How many great catches did you see down the stretch? Basically none because they were wide open on every catch or Cousins was on the ground after running into his line in the pocket.

Thielen has earned eveything on this team while Cousins has earned nothing while also being handed a major contract and grossly underperforming relative to the value of that contract. I really don't know how someone picks Cousins in that scenario.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:The public dissention between Cousins and Thielen was tough to watch during yesterday's game, and hopefully isn't an issue going forward. This won't be a popular take, but I give Thielen my Jimmy Butler award on the Vikings this year...managing to go from my favorite player on the team to my least favorite. Tough to do. Some may just call his public demeanor during the last quarter of the season "fiery", but I called it destructive...he seems to be a terrible teammate when things aren't going well. We all saw some of his behavior on camera, but I will tell you it was even worse on the sidelines in the last three home games of the season that I attended. Cousins was a disappointment in many ways this season, but Thielen getting in his face when it was clear to anyone watching the game that the OL was giving Cousins no time to get the ball to his wideouts was disgraceful. Thielen needs to grow up.

Cousins shows no trust in his receivers. If they aren't wide open he doesn't throw them the ball. If you are a wideout for him you are gonna get frustrated with that. Even Diggs walked over to him after that incident and told him to trust him out there. Cousins needs to get rid of the ball. He had 3+ seconds more than enough times yesterday to get the ball out on a timing route. He doesn't do it.

How do the Bears give up 0 sacks and Cousins is pressured all game? Trubisky got the ball out fast all game long even when his receivers weren't open. And they rewarded him by making several good plays to win the ball. There were maybe 2-3 plays where we even had a chance at a sack because he held the ball and he escaped from those situations. When it's single man coverage Cousins has to just get rid of it and trust our guys are going to win that matchup. He wants 5 seconds back there on every play and that's not how the NFL works. The best QB's get the ball out in 3-4 seconds or extend the play with their legs to create that extra time they need. Cousins does neither hence why he's under fire all game long. Yes there are legitimate times where he has no chance, but that is a small percentage of his drop backs. The rest are on him for having no feel for the rush or ability to move in the pocket because he has no idea where the defense is coming from.

Early in the season he trusted his WR's and you saw Thielen and Diggs make some incredible catches. How many great catches did you see down the stretch? Basically none because they were wide open on every catch or Cousins was on the ground after running into his line in the pocket.

Thielen has earned eveything on this team while Cousins has earned nothing while also being handed a major contract and grossly underperforming relative to the value of that contract. I really don't know how someone picks Cousins in that scenario.

Both guys are competitive guys. I can't remember where I heard it or read it but they were saying Thielen looks like a nice guy and all that but basically is as competitive as anyone you will meet. Personally I don't take much out of these sideline things long term. Neither guy has the rep to make me that worried.

Cousins wasn't good enough this year. I doubt it will happen but I wonder if he would give up a couple million bucks if it meant they got a difference maker on the Oline.

I think Cousin's improves a lot with consistent protection. Anytime you can't get in a rhythm you will struggle.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2019/01/inside-numbers-much-pressure-impact-kirk-cousins/

For the draft I would love to see us trade out the first and pick up picks in 2nd.3rd. & 4th rounds.

Walters guide.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019C.php

Wow! We got Gary Kubiak. I think he is a big add. Not sure how Stefanski fits here. He didn't get to name half his staff.

We do know now what we want to do with the running game. We will be a zone blocking team. I think it fits most of the guys we have.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Wow! We got Gary Kubiak. I think he is a big add. Not sure how Stefanski fits here. He didn't get to name half his staff.

We do know now what we want to do with the running game. We will be a zone blocking team. I think it fits most of the guys we have.

I agree I think getting Kubiak is a big hire. Supposedly Klint Kubiak and Stefanski are good friends from when Klint worked here a few years ago. It was said that the Vikings were supposedly adding Rick Dennison as Oline coach as part of the package but I haven't seen that confirmed. I would like to see the guy the Colts let gonthat was the Sparano disciple. They can hire Dennison to do something if they want. There is gonna be a decent chunk of turnover on the staff with Priefer leaving and the WR coach contract not being renewed etc.

I am also curious what Kubiak thinks of Sloter. I still have hope for him. When he plays he just seems to get it done.