Buyouts

A Place For Hockey Talk
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Buyouts

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/07/13/wild-buying-out-final-four-years-of-massive-parise-suter-contracts/
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: Buyouts

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

What this tells me is Guerin REALLY didn't want to lose Soucey in the expansion draft. I think the ZP thing was inevitable when he refused to adjust his NMC. And the Mild are either going to have to let Dumba go or trade him for an expiring because next summer will be tight.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Those are some amazing numbers. I had forgotten that they were signed for 13 years. Wow.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:What this tells me is Guerin REALLY didn't want to lose Soucey in the expansion draft. I think the ZP thing was inevitable when he refused to adjust his NMC. And the Mild are either going to have to let Dumba go or trade him for an expiring because next summer will be tight.

Dumba is the guy he doesn't want to lose in the draft. Souc or Khak are gone if they don't swing a deal.

As far as the NMC, Russo talked to both Parise and Suter who indicated there was no discussion with them about waiving their NMCs. In the presser Guerin emphasized the lack of cap space as a major issue, even going as far as saying it had to happen in order to "field a full roster".

I'm baffled they weren't able to or didn't try to deal Parise + a pick in a salary dump buyout trade where the receiving team would immediately buyout Parise and only be on the hook for just over 6m in salary spread over multiple years. The Wild would have been free and clear of his dead cap.
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheGrey08 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:What this tells me is Guerin REALLY didn't want to lose Soucey in the expansion draft. I think the ZP thing was inevitable when he refused to adjust his NMC. And the Mild are either going to have to let Dumba go or trade him for an expiring because next summer will be tight.

Dumba is the guy he doesn't want to lose in the draft. Souc or Khak are gone if they don't swing a deal.

As far as the NMC, Russo talked to both Parise and Suter who indicated there was no discussion with them about waiving their NMCs. In the presser Guerin emphasized the lack of cap space as a major issue, even going as far as saying it had to happen in order to "field a full roster".

I'm baffled they weren't able to or didn't try to deal Parise + a pick in a salary dump buyout trade where the receiving team would immediately buyout Parise and only be on the hook for just over 6m in salary spread over multiple years. The Wild would have been free and clear of his dead cap.

From someone that doesn't follow the sport looking in on the info I have...if there was no discussion about the NMC that may mean there were simply no teams interested in trading for either of them. That doesn't seem particularly surprising.

monsterpile wrote:Those are some amazing numbers. I had forgotten that they were signed for 13 years. Wow.

I did too. I thought it was a 10-year contract. I was shocked to see 4 years still left. I wonder if they got every penny.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Those are some amazing numbers. I had forgotten that they were signed for 13 years. Wow.

I did too. I thought it was a 10-year contract. I was shocked to see 4 years still left. I wonder if they got every penny.

In the article it says what the terms of the buyout was. They didn't give up a massive amount but it is what it is (gave the team a lot more flexibility this year) plus some of the money is spread out over years past the contract.

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

In the article it says what the terms of the buyout was. They didn't give up a massive amount but it is what it is (gave the team a lot more flexibility this year) plus some of the money is spread out over years past the contract.

I went back and it only looks like the cap hit, but not sure if that is the same as payout.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

I went back and it only looks like the cap hit, but not sure if that is the same as payout.

I spent some time researching this because ai was curious. Interestingly the NHL has a very specific buyout option teams can use which has some similarities to the stretch provision in the NBA and for the NHL it's a built in thing the player doesn't even have to agree to it. I can't say absolutely definitively but I do not think Parise and Sutter get all their money but if they can play 3 more years at even vet min contracts they would make a decent chunk of it back. It would be easier to tell what was what if I understood how salaries counted against the cap in the NHL and if I found a site that separated the base salaries and signing bonus for each season. According to sport trac who is usually pretty good with contract in the NBA and NFL Parise and Sutter will get paid quite a bit less than the 98 million they were slated to get from the Wild over the life of the contract. Some of that number might be due to lower salary during the pandemic though.