Bring on the Bengals

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Wolvesfan21

Re: Bring on the Bengals

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheSP wrote:Teddy 0-2 with 1 interception to ruin the shutout! LOL

I know it doesn't mean squat, but I still see no way this team can not sign Keenum to start next season. Teddy never had the poise that Case has shown this season.

Case has done a very nice job, it does go to show you how good pocket presence and scrambling are so valuable when comparing Case to Bradford.

I still like Teddys accuracy over Case, Case still has those off throws on what are fairly routine passes.

As far as the couple passes Teddy had, yeah, he looked not himself. But again he hasn't played in a game in two years. I wonder what the coaches see in practice, we always hear the announcers say the coaches praise Teddy in practice.

Lots of football left, we may see Teddy more or Case may excel, too early to make any evaluations in stone.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

WolvesFan21 wrote:

I know it doesn't mean squat, but I still see no way this team can not sign Keenum to start next season. Teddy never had the poise that Case has shown this season.

Case has done a very nice job, it does go to show you how good pocket presence and scrambling are so valuable when comparing Case to Bradford.

I still like Teddys accuracy over Case, Case still has those off throws on what are fairly routine passes.

As far as the couple passes Teddy had, yeah, he looked not himself. But again he hasn't played in a game in two years. I wonder what the coaches see in practice, we always hear the announcers say the coaches praise Teddy in practice.

Lots of football left, we may see Teddy more or Case may excel, too early to make any evaluations in stone.

I think we're long past time to stop expecting Case to turn into a pumpkin. As for Teddy's accuracy, I don't recall it being any better than Case's. In fact, on the long ball I recall Teddy being terrible. And I never recall Teddy having Case's pocket presence! If I were making the decisions I would resign Case, cannot argue against his production, with Teddy you're betting on his raising his game as he has never played as well as Case has this season. Obviously he never played on as talented a team either.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

If we go on goths career stats, neither has a lot of games played but-

Case- 61.3% 6.9 Avg.

Teddy- 64.9% 7.2 Avg.

If we go on Case just this season he's at 66.8% and 7.4 Avg.

BUT I think the offense has significantly improved since Teddy was playing. The OLine is better and so are the WR's. Diggs was a Rook and Thielen was nearly nonexistent. Which is why we drafted Treadwell.

If Teddy is healthy I have no doubt he can put up similar stats and wins as Case. Heck he went 11-5 with a worse defense and worse WR's/OLine.

JMO
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

TheSP wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

I think we're long past time to stop expecting Case to turn into a pumpkin. As for Teddy's accuracy, I don't recall it being any better than Case's. In fact, on the long ball I recall Teddy being terrible. And I never recall Teddy having Case's pocket presence! If I were making the decisions I would resign Case, cannot argue against his production, with Teddy you're betting on his raising his game as he has never played as well as Case has this season. Obviously he never played on as talented a team either.

The long ball is the only thing Case has over Teddy. Otherwise, Teddy was one of the most accurate rookies in history in short and medium yardages which has been more of our bread and butter than the deep ball this year. A lot of our big plays this year have been YAC as opposed to actually hitting someone deep.

As for Teddy he had happy feet on the pick which is why it was high. He was definitely antsy in the pocket and you could see he was just processing the play way too fast which is normal for a guy who was used to being under fire quickly in the pocket. The throw to Floyd was perfectly on the money and was just dropped. One thing I noticed is both throws had some zip on them and neither receiver really looked ready for the ball to get to them that fast. It was unfortunate, but he also looked like someone who hadn't played a real game in almost 2 years which is normal.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Division Champs - Packers lost and are basically out of the playoff hunt. Lions and Packers next week.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Teddy was a magician in the pocket using his feet to extend the play. The only issue was him not wanting to cut it loose. Some of that was about talent around him and having to fit in with AP. It think his pocket presence knowing what was around him in the backfield was a big asset of his game.

One consideration is whether he can get back to the player he was much less be better than what he was. Idk if feel optimistic and yet realistic at the same time. Fortunately the Vikings don't have to make a decision for a while. It's good Teddy got out there just to get that likely emotional moment out of the way in case they actually need him to play this year if Case was to get hurt.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

monsterpile wrote:Teddy was a magician in the pocket using his feet to extend the play. The only issue was him not wanting to cut it loose. Some of that was about talent around him and having to fit in with AP. It think his pocket presence knowing what was around him in the backfield was a big asset of his game.

One consideration is whether he can get back to the player he was much less be better than what he was. Idk if feel optimistic and yet realistic at the same time. Fortunately the Vikings don't have to make a decision for a while. It's good Teddy got out there just to get that likely emotional moment out of the way in case they actually need him to play this year if Case was to get hurt.

You make it sound like AP was a negative. The guy rushed for over 1400 yds with a 4.5 avg. He also forced the defense to set up against the run, regularly having 8 sometimes 9 guys in the box which forced one on one coverage on the outside, and yet Teddy still couldn't take advantage of it. That was a QB's dream, except for the fact that our QB didn't feel good taking snaps under center!

Thielen didn't suddenly get faster or better hands, and a line that allows a guy to gain 1400 yds can't be to bad. Teams don't stack up against the run this season, particularly since Cook went down. This makes it much more difficult for Case, having to worry about safeties roaming downfield.

I hear many excuses for Teddy based on personnel, but yet those same posts have no problem lumping in Keenum's stats while he was on other teams.

I have very little faith in Teddy improving much simply because he was already poised as a rookie. It was his arm strength that held him back and a lack of confidence related to it. Most young QBs improve in the poise and defense reading areas.
Monster

Post by Monster »

sjm34 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Teddy was a magician in the pocket using his feet to extend the play. The only issue was him not wanting to cut it loose. Some of that was about talent around him and having to fit in with AP. It think his pocket presence knowing what was around him in the backfield was a big asset of his game.

You make it sound like AP was a negative. The guy rushed for over 1400 yds with a 4.5 avg. He also forced the defense to set up against the run, regularly having 8 sometimes 9 guys in the box which forced one on one coverage on the outside, and yet Teddy still couldn't take advantage of it. That was a QB's dream, except for the fact that our QB didn't feel good taking snaps under center!

Thielen didn't suddenly get faster or better hands, and a line that allows a guy to gain 1400 yds can't be to bad. Teams don't stack up against the run this season, particularly since Cook went down. This makes it much more difficult for Case, having to worry about safeties roaming downfield.

I hear many excuses for Teddy based on personnel, but yet those same posts have no problem lumping in Keenum's stats while he was on other teams.

I have very little faith in Teddy improving much simply because he was already poised as a rookie. It was his arm strength that held him back and a lack of confidence related to it. Most young QBs improve in the poise and defense reading areas.

It's fair to say that AP as a focal point of the offense is a blessing and a curse (not literally of course). There are excuses and literal context of situations. I've been more positive on Keenum than anyone on this forum from when he was signed so yeah I hope your frustration comes more from other posts than mine. So...it was Teddy's fault that this team didn't play Thielen a couple years ago? :) People also forget Teddy played less than 2 full seasons before getting injured. It's not like the guy played 3-5 years and now we are like he is what he is. The problem now is we don't actually know for certain what he was (people have varying opinions all which probably have merit) and we don't know for certain because of injury what he can even be back to or whatever much less improve. It's a tough situation and like I said the Vikings don't have to pick a guy for a while so at this point that's a positive. This offense is built and run in a way that would benefit either Teddy or Case. I think one thing that is concerning is if Shurmer gets a head coaching job because I do think he deserves credit for how well things have gone with the offense and OC do matter.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

sjm34 wrote:

The "lack of arm strength" argument is a myth. Teddy was tested at 54 MPH which is right in the middle of NFL starters. Top guys are around 60, bottom end was 48 Mike Glennon. Ponder was 51 if I remember correctly.

The only place Teddy had problems was overthrowing deep bombs to WR's down field. Some say it was his arm motion. IDK. It wasn't a lack of arm strength.

For sure, having AP is good and bad. He was always a not so great pass blocker as well as receiver. Many times Teddy's job was the hardest on the field because his job was to convert the 3rd and long when the runs on 1st and 2nd down failed.

His stats based on per attempt were very good as well as the offense overall. 11th in 2015 in Points Per Drive.

Let's not kid ourselves, the OLine was not good in 2015. Most of us wanted some upgrades and Spielman attempted to, but with injuries they actually were worse in 2016 by a bit. Went from Bad to horrible.

Many people say Bradford played better then Teddy. Well not really. The offense was 22nd under Bradford last season. It was actually 28th before the last game too!!!

Not every WR, just shows up and lights it. Especially undrafted guys from small schools. I bet you anything if you asked the coaches and Thielen himself if he is better today then in 2014-2015, you know the answer. Diggs was a Rookie but as soon as he got in he was the best WR on the team. I want to say around week 5.

Anyways, I have no doubts that the offense has gotten significantly better. Better OLine, WR's and play calling/design. Not taking anything away from Case, he's done a good job. I just have to credit everyone else for stepping up.