Pitching options

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
caDustymn [enjin:6596349]

Pitching options

Post by caDustymn [enjin:6596349] »

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on a couple guys I think we could get in the near future. I want to start by saying I do like Diamond, Gibson and Deduno, and that they can be more than serviceable. The other guys in our rotation, not so much. Meyer, Mays, and Stewart are all probably 2 yrs away at least, so here's a couple ideas:

1: Trade for Josh Johnson
His stock is as low as it's going to be. Maybe pitching in his hometown and in a pitcher friendly park would do him some good. He still has good stuff-just needs to get his confidence back.

2: Pick up Joba Chamberlain in the off season
Also, still has good stuff. Might just need to get out of New York. Nebraska guy I believe so maybe coming back to the Midwest would do him good as well.
Crazysauce

Re: Pitching options

Post by Crazysauce »

Not a fan of Joba but if cheap enough what the hell. As for Johnson thats a big hell yeah. I would love to nab him but dont think he would be had as cheap as you think. Would be interesting to see what it would take to nab him though.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I agree with you, Dusty, on Gibson and Deduno, but Diamond has been dreadful. This year he seems to lose all ability to locate his pitches after the 4th inning. I see more of a future here for Pelfrey than Diamond.

Yes, Johnson's value is at a low point, but I'm still guessing the Blue Jays will be asking for more than I would want to give up. There's nobody that does much for me in free agency, or at least nobody that the Pohlads would be willing to cough up for. I think the Twins are going to try to get by with what they have for a couple years until the young guys are ready. Gibson and Deduno may be a nice 1-2 punch, but I suspect we're going to struggle at the bottom of the rotation.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

No thanks to either guys. Good ideas, though. Gibson, Deduno and Correa are solid. Diamond, Pelfrey and Worley (beginning of year) have all pissed me off equally. I think we should look at Astros pitcher Bud Norris. The guy's under team control for cheap and he's consistently good, but he shouldn't command an absurd amount to get him. If Astros ask too much, forget about it and move on.

If Norris isn't an option, what about Chris Sale? His name has quietly been popping up lately. We have a deep farm and he's about as good as it gets for young aces. Just a thought.

Both options might be too expensive and I realize that. We really need a top-end starter though that has something left in his arm. JJ looks over and Joba's a relief pitcher these days. Phil Hughes maybe? If it's for scraps of garbage, yes.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I take the Flyer oh Johnson, Moreneau for Johnson and a prospect? Also think Correia gets traded to the Orioles by the end if trade deadline, cheap contract the Orioled need SP and he's they type of guy they need towards there playoff push.