It’s been a fun season 2022

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Monster

It’s been a fun season 2022

Post by Monster »

Hey if there is one thing I always say about being a Vikings fan is that's it's never boring. What a season it has been! This week wasn't quite as fun as last week but another wild finish. I really don't have any high expectations for this season I'm just enjoying it. I do not expect this team to go on a big playoff run but I guess I won't run it out either especially if they can get and stay relatively healthy. The NFL playoffs is setup more like anything can happen than the other sports. Like a I said though I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. I do think there are other better teams for sure because that Vikings defense...
Q-is-here

Re: It’s been a fun season 2022

Post by Q-is-here »

monsterpile wrote:Hey if there is one thing I always say about being a Vikings fan is that's it's never boring. What a season it has been! This week wasn't quite as fun as last week but another wild finish. I really don't have any high expectations for this season I'm just enjoying it. I do not expect this team to go on a big playoff run but I guess I won't run it out either especially if they can get and stay relatively healthy. The NFL playoffs is setup more like anything can happen than the other sports. Like a I said though I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. I do think there are other better teams for sure because that Vikings defense...

Literally never been a regular season like it in NFL history. You can start seeing in wear on Kirk Cousins a bit in the post-game interviews, where he is a bit more subdued now because you can sense his disappointment that they can't put four quarters of good football together and decisively get a win.

But like you said Monster, if you forget about playoff expectations, it's been incredible to watch and literally historical in terms of the franchise and NFL records being set.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-was-here wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Hey if there is one thing I always say about being a Vikings fan is that's it's never boring. What a season it has been! This week wasn't quite as fun as last week but another wild finish. I really don't have any high expectations for this season I'm just enjoying it. I do not expect this team to go on a big playoff run but I guess I won't run it out either especially if they can get and stay relatively healthy. The NFL playoffs is setup more like anything can happen than the other sports. Like a I said though I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. I do think there are other better teams for sure because that Vikings defense...

Literally never been a regular season like it in NFL history. You can start seeing in wear on Kirk Cousins a bit in the post-game interviews, where he is a bit more subdued now because you can sense his disappointment that they can't put four quarters of good football together and decisively get a win.

But like you said Monster, if you forget about playoff expectations, it's been incredible to watch and literally historical in terms of the franchise and NFL records being set.

It might also have something to do with Kirk being hit a lot. There was a Tweet that said Cousins has already been hit more than any QB since 2000 which is when they started keeping track and that includes 2002 when David Carr was sacked 76 times but he had a lot fewer pass attempts. I'm a Cousins fan but especially last season I had also become more realistic about him as just a good player although I had some hope of him taking some sort of step forward with a new coaching staff. Earlier in the season I didn't see much different but the last 10 or so games I see a guy that's making more plays to win games than before. The Vikings have been lucky and to be honest there has also been a couple games even in wins Cousins was just OK but in those games I saw him make at least one play in the pocket that he really didn't make previously.

Justin Jefferson is ridiculous.

Just for fun I looked back at the 15-1 Vikings team. That defense statistically was at worst middle of the road. The Current Vikings defense is statistically one of the worst in the league. It's crazy how they have kept winning. I fully expect to run out but again I'm enjoying the ride and the team does have plenty of talent.

I'll say a couple minor positives for this team and the front office. While the defense has been quite bad they have signed a couple FAs that other teams cut in Duke Shelley and Tonga that have either been not terrible or actually kinda good. Shelley seems to at least make some plays at key moments and doesn't hang his head if he gets beat. It's hard to believe how small he is. He looks and plays bigger than a guy that's just a little bigger than Marcus Sherels. Tonga I think has been pretty solid in his snaps. Sometimes the end of the roster ends up being what keeps teams afloat.

Q what's Philly like these days with the Eagles doing well?
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster, Philly is stoked because they believe they have a legit Superbowl contender. I can tell you that they certainly aren't worried about the Vikings. We're kind of a novelty, but not taken seriously as a real playoff threat.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

The Eagles vs 49ers will be great to watch.

I hope Brady some how ends up with 49ers next year and wins a Superbowl for his childhood team and retires.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, this year was a success. A new coach, new GM and new system...those things usually take a year to implement successfully. A .500 record would have been viewed as a nice year 1. I'm just happy to ride this team for another week because they keep surprising me.

The thing about NFL vs. NBA is it's one and done (not a 5 or 7 game series). Anything can happen and the best team that day advances - not the best team overall. Let's see what happens!
FNG

Post by FNG »

Carlos Danger wrote:Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, this year was a success. A new coach, new GM and new system...those things usually take a year to implement successfully. A .500 record would have been viewed as a nice year 1. I'm just happy to ride this team for another week because they keep surprising me.

The thing about NFL vs. NBA is it's one and done (not a 5 or 7 game series). Anything can happen and the best team that day advances - not the best team overall. Let's see what happens!

I totally agree, Anthony. I've been a Vikings fan for decades, and I've never had more fun than this season. What are we, 11-0 in one-score games? Something like that. Cousins has his detractors...mostly those who favor a more mobile QB. But you can't question his toughness. Nobody takes more hard hits than he does, and yet he seems to remain fearless hanging in the pocket. And his 4th quarter performances this season have been stirring.

If I had to predict, I see them winning a close one this week, and then losing in SF the following week. But a playoff loss won't detract from the enjoyment I've felt this season. Go Vikes!
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
Carlos Danger wrote:Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, this year was a success. A new coach, new GM and new system...those things usually take a year to implement successfully. A .500 record would have been viewed as a nice year 1. I'm just happy to ride this team for another week because they keep surprising me.

I totally agree, Anthony. I've been a Vikings fan for decades, and I've never had more fun than this season. What are we, 11-0 in one-score games? Something like that. Cousins has his detractors...mostly those who favor a more mobile QB. But you can't question his toughness. Nobody takes more hard hits than he does, and yet he seems to remain fearless hanging in the pocket. And his 4th quarter performances this season have been stirring.

If I had to predict, I see them winning a close one this week, and then losing in SF the following week. But a playoff loss won't detract from the enjoyment I've felt this season. Go Vikes!

I think Cousins has made more plays in the pocket this season and yes the guy is tough as nails. Losing O'Neill for the season is pretty worrisome but getting Irv Smith back if he is actually up to speed could help the offense. Is Bradbury supposed to be back yet?

Yes the 1 and done can mean pretty much any team that makes the playoffs has a shot. Im not expecting a Super Bowl run for the Vikings mostly because that defense but that defense does have some talented players that COULD make the type of impact you need in the playoffs. Hunter and Smith could go bonkers off the edge. I don't think the rest of the D is strong enough but they have been opportunistic. There are some other talented players throughout the defense and sometimes there are guys that come out of nowhere and have a great playoffs. Im gonna sit back and enjoy it for however long it lasts.

Plus if the Vikings lose embarrassingly to the Giants I will have the fact that GB was sitting at home having lost to the Lions twice this year to lift my spirits. Lol
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:

I think Cousins has made more plays in the pocket this season and yes the guy is tough as nails. Losing O'Neill for the season is pretty worrisome but getting Irv Smith back if he is actually up to speed could help the offense. Is Bradbury supposed to be back yet?

Yes the 1 and done can mean pretty much any team that makes the playoffs has a shot. Im not expecting a Super Bowl run for the Vikings mostly because that defense but that defense does have some talented players that COULD make the type of impact you need in the playoffs. Hunter and Smith could go bonkers off the edge. I don't think the rest of the D is strong enough but they have been opportunistic. There are some other talented players throughout the defense and sometimes there are guys that come out of nowhere and have a great playoffs. Im gonna sit back and enjoy it for however long it lasts.

Plus if the Vikings lose embarrassingly to the Giants I will have the fact that GB was sitting at home having lost to the Lions twice this year to lift my spirits. Lol

Monster, Bradbury is supposed to practice today, and that will be a big lift to the OL if he is healthy...he's been quite impressive this year I think. Irv Smith doesn't do much for our passing game (is there a WR/TE in the league that struggles more getting separation?), but perhaps he might help our struggling run game. Surprisingly Brandel may play Sunday (despite tearing his MCL just last month) and that will be an upgrade over Udoh.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:

Monster, Bradbury is supposed to practice today, and that will be a big lift to the OL if he is healthy...he's been quite impressive this year I think. Irv Smith doesn't do much for our passing game (is there a WR/TE in the league that struggles more getting separation?), but perhaps he might help our struggling run game. Surprisingly Brandel may play Sunday (despite tearing his MCL just last month) and that will be an upgrade over Udoh.

The Vikings seems to like having TEs and Irv Smith as a top TE not getting it done in the passing game is different than being the 2 or 3 guy with Mundt. I'd guess he is an upgrade in both areas over rookie TE Muse. I think Smith's athletic ability is something teams may at least consider accounting for. Of course he has to actually catch the ball too...I like Irv Smith but the guy has struggled to stay healthy and hasn't done enough when healthy to make me think he is pretty good but again as a rotationTE for a team in need of one? It's a pretty decent addition.

How much has Brandel played RT? He certainly wasn't bad at LT but will he be that worthwhile not bad on the other side?