Week 4:. Browns at Vikings

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Week 4:. Browns at Vikings

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Yeah the OL got exposed today. I am not sure this team will be good Hill and Bradbury starting for it. I really hope they are giving Wyatt Davis reps at center during practice. It sounds like Darisaw is healthy, but really don't see how he could be ready to play meaningful NFL snaps yet.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Just re-watched the final play of the game. The Vikings should have had an untimed down with 1st and goal from the 1. Thielen was majorly interfered with as he was trying to get to the ball (his defender was facing away from the ball and pushing Thielen away from it). That should be clear cut pass interference, even on the last play of the game. Additionally, on the 4th down stop in the 1st quarter the hold on Kendricks was about as ticky tacky as it gets. The jersey had a slight tug but he let go immediately and it didn't impede the progress (slow down) of the receiver in the least.

With that said, the Browns worked our offensive line after that 1st drive. Cousins was under pressure all day and I won't put this on him. Additionally, though the Vikings defense generally did a solid overall job, the key 3rd and 20 Kareem Hunt run for a 1st down should never happen against a good defense. I also somewhat wonder what Dalvin Tomlinson is doing. I see Pierce making some plays and carrying double teams, I see Everson making plays, and Hunter is a stud every week, but there's no way with 2 nose tackle type players that we should be getting run on like that, even with Tomlinson playing 3-technique.

Generally I think Zimmer is a good coach, but I do think he makes some decisions that leave me scratching my head (not at the level of a Mike McCarthy, sorry Cowboy fans). Passing up a 54 yard FG when your kicker has been perfect outside 50 all year in a play that would have put the Vikings up by 10 for instance to instead go for it on 3rd and long when you've been struggling on 3rd down.

We clearly need Darrisaw to play and to play well if we're going to handle a team that has a defense built like Cleveland in the future. Cousins escaped the sacks in the game, however their DL had a huge impact on the game.

Tyler Conklin has been a nice surprise for most of the 1st 3 games, but he laid an egg vs the Browns. From missed blocks, to holding calls on deep passing plays down the stretch, to dropping balls, to allowing a ball to be batted up and almost intercepted (or was it intercepted?), he can't have a game like that against a defense like that and expect the rest to make up for him, killing limited opportunities.

Agreed with Pork that (after he's done with COVID) Dantzler should be getting Breeland's minutes. Breeland can make some plays but gets burned far too often. Dantzler had a bit of rust at times but generally has had the awareness and speed to keep up with the speedy receivers.

Looking forward to what should be our easiest game of the season next week. No game is a gimme in the NFL, but if the Vikings lose to Detroit next week, we might as well start looking at the incoming draft class.
Monster

Post by Monster »

mrhockey89 wrote:Just re-watched the final play of the game. The Vikings should have had an untimed down with 1st and goal from the 1. Thielen was majorly interfered with as he was trying to get to the ball (his defender was facing away from the ball and pushing Thielen away from it). That should be clear cut pass interference, even on the last play of the game. Additionally, on the 4th down stop in the 1st quarter the hold on Kendricks was about as ticky tacky as it gets. The jersey had a slight tug but he let go immediately and it didn't impede the progress (slow down) of the receiver in the least.

With that said, the Browns worked our offensive line after that 1st drive. Cousins was under pressure all day and I won't put this on him. Additionally, though the Vikings defense generally did a solid overall job, the key 3rd and 20 Kareem Hunt run for a 1st down should never happen against a good defense. I also somewhat wonder what Dalvin Tomlinson is doing. I see Pierce making some plays and carrying double teams, I see Everson making plays, and Hunter is a stud every week, but there's no way with 2 nose tackle type players that we should be getting run on like that, even with Tomlinson playing 3-technique.

Generally I think Zimmer is a good coach, but I do think he makes some decisions that leave me scratching my head (not at the level of a Mike McCarthy, sorry Cowboy fans). Passing up a 54 yard FG when your kicker has been perfect outside 50 all year in a play that would have put the Vikings up by 10 for instance to instead go for it on 3rd and long when you've been struggling on 3rd down.

We clearly need Darrisaw to play and to play well if we're going to handle a team that has a defense built like Cleveland in the future. Cousins escaped the sacks in the game, however their DL had a huge impact on the game.

Tyler Conklin has been a nice surprise for most of the 1st 3 games, but he laid an egg vs the Browns. From missed blocks, to holding calls on deep passing plays down the stretch, to dropping balls, to allowing a ball to be batted up and almost intercepted (or was it intercepted?), he can't have a game like that against a defense like that and expect the rest to make up for him, killing limited opportunities.

Agreed with Pork that (after he's done with COVID) Dantzler should be getting Breeland's minutes. Breeland can make some plays but gets burned far too often. Dantzler had a bit of rust at times but generally has had the awareness and speed to keep up with the speedy receivers.

Looking forward to what should be our easiest game of the season next week. No game is a gimme in the NFL, but if the Vikings lose to Detroit next week, we might as well start looking at the incoming draft class.

FWIW statistically Goff is having a pretty solid season and it's not like he has awesome Recievers outside of TJ at TE.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

Monster, I agree that Goff is having a solid year. That said, Stafford had a lot of solid years and wasn't getting wins either. The Lions struggles go well beyond their QBs. This year, on top of that, they have a lot of key injuries on both sides of the ball. Still should be the cleanest win call on the season, in my opinion.
Monster

Post by Monster »

mrhockey89 wrote:Monster, I agree that Goff is having a solid year. That said, Stafford had a lot of solid years and wasn't getting wins either. The Lions struggles go well beyond their QBs. This year, on top of that, they have a lot of key injuries on both sides of the ball. Still should be the cleanest win call on the season, in my opinion.

What you said about the Lions is pretty much the same things that's happened to them for like 15 years. Jim Caldwell had the best full time head coach winning percentage of a Lions Coach since the 50's. Oh for the lions to be mediocre again.

Having said all that I'm not taking this game for granted it's a division game and weird things seem to happen in these matchups.