2021 Vikings Draft Thread

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
thedoper

Re: 2021 Vikings Draft Thread

Post by thedoper »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Doper - I don't know. If we stay healthy and a few things go our way we I think this could be a contending team.

Sounds like a many vikings teams. Im back on the bandwagon. Whats the worst that could happen right??
Monster

Post by Monster »

PorkChop wrote:For all of Cousins warts history would tell us that Mond has almost no chance of being as good as him statistically. Every year Qbs are drafted. How many pan out? How many pan out when you get past the first round? How many put up the numbers that Cousins has over the past 10 years and not been a lottery pick? We always look for the next best thing but realistically the next best thing isn't there. Trevor Lawrence might be better than Cousins but the chances that the rest are as good? Not that great. Other than Favre for one year I would argue Cousins has been the best Qb this organization has had in over 40 years. You don't know what you got till it's gone. People loved Bridgewater and he couldn't carry Kirks jock.

I support most of what you said here but I will say that Culpepper was pretty good and some people kinda dog him even though the guy was pretty good...you know kinda like Cousins. I wouldn't go all the way back 40 years for QBs because that Danny Green era was pretty good for QBs.

And you are right Mond probably won't be as good as Cousins but it is fun to have hope and I do really like some aspects of the kid. I think this was a good year to take a shot at a QB with the amount of mid-round picks we had especially once we traded down. IF....Mond even becomes the next middle of the road average starting QB people kinda dog on that trade down will look like a genius move...assuming Darrisaw ends up being even an average LT which will be key for whoever is playing QB for the Vikings.
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
thedoper wrote:Can some one tell me if I should be excited for the Vikings this year? Is this Cousins last chance? Is Peterson a dominant CB?

I have really tailed off in caring about this team which doesnt really follow when I still watch the Wolves lose.

I think the defense is going to be quite a bit better. I mean I know that isn't exactly saying a lot but at the very least teams are going to have a tough tile running on Us.

I think this team should be enjoyable to watch as long as you aren't hoping for a championship. Jefferson Thielen Cook Mattison Irv Smith Jr and Cousins is a legit starting QB that's a lot of fun on the offensive side. If somehow Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis become solid Olineman right out of the gate and Cleveland entrenches himself as a legit starting guard...ok that's a lot of ifs. I'm only asking those guys to be more like just average not studs but IF that happens this offense could be pretty scary. Of course the other question is whether Klint Kubiak is going to be up to the task of OC.

I think this is a team that has a lot of young talent along with some good vets that should be fun to watch. I have mostly given up on dreams of a championship for the past couple years and enjoyed the ride...well except early last year that got pretty tough and that defense partly because of the injuries...yikes.

As for Cousins can he build off some success and avoid whatever lows he had early last year? Will the line help him more? I guess now that the Vikings drafted a QB he isn't going to be taking a pay cut to help the team out. My guess is that if the Vikings need to open up some cap space They could add some void years to his deal so if they move on from him after 2022 to the Mond era they will still be paying a chunk of money for a QB that season but it will be less than what a legit starter would be making especially if the cap blows up like I think is expected and I think will happen.

I suppose if somehow they feel like Mond is ready they could trade Cousins to a team and pay some of his salary in 2022 to make that deal happen. Idk what teams will have a need for a worthwhile vet QB but if they were interested in Cousins for even 15 million in salary (I would think 20 million would be reasonable if he performs fairly well in 2021) I would certainly consider it if Mond was ready. I would think the only way they would know that is if Kirk got hurt for a couple games and Mond stepped in. I suppose if the Vikings go like 14-1 (lol) and decide to play Mond the last couple games and he shows out that's possible was he would get some action to show he is ready...or maybe some garbage time action because the Vikings are so damn good. Lol

Thanks!! I appreciate it Monster. Im in.

The Vikings are rarely a really bad team and they are nearly always really interesting. The Wolves I suppose are somewhat interesting too but it's more in beautiful disaster way...
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Glad you in Doper. It is only 17 games so it is not a huge time commitment. I usually don't pay to much attention until November in the NFL. Being a Wolves fan the season ends about the first week in December and you are looking forward to the draft.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Lots of hope and potential and Monster summed it up. There are a lot of things that would have to go right for this team to be a contender next season, but it is possible. The guys who will have to step up is multiple rookies and Peterson turning back the clock a few years. I doubt it all happens but you never know.

One thing that could help is if Rodgers is traded or retires (temporarily). We could be favorites for the division at least which would be nice.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Glad you in Doper. It is only 17 games so it is not a huge time commitment. I usually don't pay to much attention until November in the NFL. Being a Wolves fan the season ends about the first week in December and you are looking forward to the draft.

I pay for the NFL online package (can't remember the name they change is so much) so I watch the condensed games which are like 33 to 45 minutes long. I have to wait a couple hours till after the games are over but it's worth it especially depending on who the broadcast crew is. Lol
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Glad you in Doper. It is only 17 games so it is not a huge time commitment. I usually don't pay to much attention until November in the NFL. Being a Wolves fan the season ends about the first week in December and you are looking forward to the draft.

I pay for the NFL online package (can't remember the name they change is so much) so I watch the condensed games which are like 33 to 45 minutes long. I have to wait a couple hours till after the games are over but it's worth it especially depending on who the broadcast crew is. Lol

That would be interesting. I enjoy football in general once the weather cools off.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

monsterpile wrote:

That sounds like the way to go. 45 minute NFL game sound easier to negotiate than half of a Sunday.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

That does sound nice. I usually record the games then start after an hour or so just skipping through commercials and punts/kickoffs, etc. By the end of the game I'm live again.
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

That sounds like the way to go. 45 minute NFL game sound easier to negotiate than half of a Sunday.

Most games are like 35-37 mins. One thing that's nice is that if you have a few minutes you can't just sit down and watch another game that might be interesting for one reason or another. For example a couple years ago I watched nearly all of Teddy's games with the Saints. It includes all the playoff games too. One year I think I pretty much watched all the playoff games.