Who you got for New GM and Coach?

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
kekgeek

Re: Who you got for New GM and Coach?

Post by kekgeek »

TheSP wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:Head Coach Kellen Moore GM: Rick Spielman

Overall I think Spielman has done a good, but not great job. I won't be bothered if they keep him or if they fire him.

That is where I'm at
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

WolvesFan21 wrote:

Spielman is a bum. He's been avg at best. Can't find a QB to save his life. Way overpaid Kirk to keep him around. No chance to win.

I respectively disagree. Since Spielman has gotten the job the Vikings have been in the top 5 in pro bowlers. I think cousins is the by far the least of our problems. Also what player has the Vikings lost because of cousins contract
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Spielman is a bum. He's been avg at best. Can't find a QB to save his life. Way overpaid Kirk to keep him around. No chance to win.

I respectively disagree. Since Spielman has gotten the job the Vikings have been in the top 5 in pro bowlers. I think cousins is the by far the least of our problems. Also what player has the Vikings lost because of cousins contract

I have no issue with his not having found a franchise QB. How many true franchise QBs are there in the league, certainly less than 10. As it stands now, how much have the Bears given up to draft their last two bust 1st round QBs? It is extremely rare to find a can't miss franchise QB, the vast majority are a crap shoot.

For me the two biggest issues with Spielman the O-line, and keeping Zimmer around way too long and if we're being honest he really didn't have the power to fire Zimmer. The odds the Vikings hire a better GM than Spielman is far worse then the odds the next guy sucks donkey balls.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

How many playoff games have we won since Spielman came on board in 2006?

The answer is 3. I don't care how many Pro Bowlers we've had, the bottom line is getting to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Getting a single playoff win every 5 years is crap.

Sure it's not that easy to find a franchise QB, but you know what? Other teams do it. Rick hasn't even tried most of the time, he's a conman at best who is too scared to take a swing and miss.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

TheSP wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

I have no issue with his not having found a franchise QB. How many true franchise QBs are there in the league, certainly less than 10. As it stands now, how much have the Bears given up to draft their last two bust 1st round QBs? It is extremely rare to find a can't miss franchise QB, the vast majority are a crap shoot.

For me the two biggest issues with Spielman the O-line, and keeping Zimmer around way too long and if we're being honest he really didn't have the power to fire Zimmer. The odds the Vikings hire a better GM than Spielman is far worse then the odds the next guy sucks donkey balls.

What about the CB position? How many have the Vikings drafted the last 5 years? How come we still don't have any?

Gladney, Dantzler, Hughes, Alexander.

Bust, bust, bust, bust.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

How many playoff games have we won since Spielman came on board in 2006?

The answer is 3. I don't care how many Pro Bowlers we've had, the bottom line is getting to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Getting a single playoff win every 5 years is crap.

Sure it's not that easy to find a franchise QB, but you know what? Other teams do it. Rick hasn't even tried most of the time, he's a conman at best who is too scared to take a swing and miss.

Sure to be fair though 2 of those years tthe Vikings had byes eliminating chances to win playoff games. Under Spielman the Vikings have had 2 legit title teams. So having a legit to win the title once every 7 years is pretty damn good. Vikings have had the 12th best record and 6th best team in the NFC since Spielman took over.

If Spielman does get fired I will understand it but I do think he is pretty damn good at his job. This team still has a ton of talent. I'm just preparing for wasting Jefferson career once the Vikings more than likely blow it up this offseason
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheSP wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

What about the CB position? How many have the Vikings drafted the last 5 years? How come we still don't have any?

Bust, bust, bust, bust.

The funny thing the Vikings actually had a sneaky good O-Line this year. Run game as good and the 7th least amount of sacks given up this year. Also have 3 should be long term starters on the line now in O'Neil, Cleveland and Darissaw.

Here is the thing about the DB. I do agree that is the Vikings biggest weakness but some of it is really bad luck. Spielman has drafted 4 1st round CB in his day.

Rhoads: Elite corner
Waynes: slightly above average
Hughes: Average who was massively injury prone (unlucky)
Gladney: Solid but was a POS apparently (unlucky)

If you look at the Vikings next year roster
QB: above average
RB: elite
Wr: elite
TE: slight above average
OL: slight above average
DL: Above average if healthy
LB: average
DB: Bad
K/P: average

I don't think the Vikings are far away
Monster

Post by Monster »

Personally I think Spielman has done a good job overall. Good enough? No I can see that as an argument but there is a lot of good that he has done.

Here is a different angle on why maybe he shouldn't stay. George Paton is in Denver. Scott Studwell finally retired a couple years ago. What if some of Spielman's success were heavily influenced by either of or both of those guys and they aren't replaced with people that are as competent? Part of what makes a good executive is being able to surround yourself with good/excellent people (also not having people that aren't good) and then actually utilizing them. It seems like Rick does utilize people around him it's not just his show.

Speaking of people surrounding folks at the top...other than the front office and Zimmer a lot of other things have been a revolving door. Every year it's another OC. For a while it was pick your adventure QB edition because of injuries. Every team has some changes but there has been some atypical turnover in spots. There was that one year that the oline coach died right before the season.

One thing that makes me feel somewhat good about where the Vikings are headed regardless of who stays and who goes is that I have decent faith in the Wilfs to at least not totally screw up. They don't seem to be the ownership group that's interested in making a splash hire. They do want to win but I don't think they are gonna do something inane like hire an Urban Meyer or something. Will they get it right? Idk but I feel like they will at least get someone competent.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
TheSP wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Bust, bust, bust, bust.

The funny thing the Vikings actually had a sneaky good O-Line this year. Run game as good and the 7th least amount of sacks given up this year. Also have 3 should be long term starters on the line now in O'Neil, Cleveland and Darissaw.

Here is the thing about the DB. I do agree that is the Vikings biggest weakness but some of it is really bad luck. Spielman has drafted 4 1st round CB in his day.

Rhoads: Elite corner
Waynes: slightly above average
Hughes: Average who was massively injury prone (unlucky)
Gladney: Solid but was a POS apparently (unlucky)

If you look at the Vikings next year roster
QB: above average
RB: elite
Wr: elite
TE: slight above average
OL: slight above average
DL: Above average if healthy
LB: average
DB: Bad
K/P: average

I don't think the Vikings are far away

They are also old in some spots and the depth is really pathetic. Which again, either the coaching staff sucks and can't develop guys or Rick has been drafting too many bums.

As much as I like a guy like Cook the guy is always missing games and even long periods of time. I just wouldn't pay a RB big money. Just draft mid rounders and let them battle it out. You should just have 3 cheap guys at all times, play the best. Let them walk when they want a big payday.

Where you pay money is on the Oline and DLine. Get good proven experienced players. Udoh and Bradbury have been bad and very bad. The guy they drafted in the 3rd round can't even dress. We have all these picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds but they can't even play (the vast majority). 1st rounder like Bradbury has been a bust. You can't afford all these 1st round busts like Bradbury and Gladney.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Reports are coming out that Zimmer will be fired but spielman will be back