Twins move up in Draft lottery

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Twins move up in Draft lottery

Post by Jester1534 »

This first year of the draft lottery and the Twins went from 13 to #5. This is pretty significant jump and a chance to add another talent minor leaguer with Brooks Lee.

Btw Brooks Lee is the real deal.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: Twins move up in Draft lottery

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Thanks for starting a Twins thread, Jester.

I'm actually somewhat positive about this coming season.

1. I like the fact that they replaced the Head Trainer. It might not have been 100% his fault, but the head trainer is the one responsible for keeping players from getting injured and/or getting them back on the field if they do, and when you're 2nd in D/L days, something should give. My brother tells me that the gang at KFAN was so against this move that they played even more commercials for divorce attorneys than they usually do, which makes me all the more excited about it.

2. Did they really get outbid again by MIA for James Rowson? And how is that less embarrassing than getting outbid by LSU for Wes Johnson?

3. Speaking of Miami, that new "M" hat (that looks like one of the last Marlins hats) is the ugliest Minnesota uniform change I have seen since the Wolves Lime-green home jersey.

4. I have a controversial opinion: How about Farmer plays short until Lewis (.867) is ready, and spending the Correa (.834) money on pitching and/or catching.

5. I agree with you about Brooks Lee. How about he plays 2B and trading Polonco or Gordon for ... pitching and/or catching.

6. And how about deciding where Kiriloff is going to play, then trading either Arraez or Kepler (unless they trade Gordon and need MK to backup at CF) for .... pitching and/or catching.

7. I love where is organization is (top to bottom) from "3" thru "9" (and DH). Which makes sense since that is where most of the recent draft capital has gone.

8. I feel the organization as a whole needs to concentrate on its pitching in order to be championship caliber.

9. Catcher (top to bottom) is a major failing and needs an overhaul. Those eight C's they drafted a couple of years ago? None of them progressed, either because the Pohlads wouldn't pay a good minor league instructor or it was just one of those things.

10. I believe there was a 3rd catcher or pitcher to be had in the Rule 5 draft.

11. I like moving up from #13 to #5, but it won't generate the same excitement as it does in Basketball/Hockey until it can also be used in trades.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:Thanks for starting a Twins thread, Jester.

I'm actually somewhat positive about this coming season.

1. I like the fact that they replaced the Head Trainer. It might not have been 100% his fault, but the head trainer is the one responsible for keeping players from getting injured and/or getting them back on the field if they do, and when you're 2nd in D/L days, something should give. My brother tells me that the gang at KFAN was so against this move that they played even more commercials for divorce attorneys than they usually do, which makes me all the more excited about it.

2. Did they really get outbid again by MIA for James Rowson? And how is that less embarrassing than getting outbid by LSU for Wes Johnson?

3. Speaking of Miami, that new "M" hat (that looks like one of the last Marlins hats) is the ugliest Minnesota uniform change I have seen since the Wolves Lime-green home jersey.

4. I have a controversial opinion: How about Farmer plays short until Lewis (.867) is ready, and spending the Correa (.834) money on pitching and/or catching.

5. I agree with you about Brooks Lee. How about he plays 2B and trading Polonco or Gordon for ... pitching and/or catching.

6. And how about deciding where Kiriloff is going to play, then trading either Arraez or Kepler (unless they trade Gordon and need MK to backup at CF) for .... pitching and/or catching.

7. I love where is organization is (top to bottom) from "3" thru "9" (and DH). Which makes sense since that is where most of the recent draft capital has gone.

8. I feel the organization as a whole needs to concentrate on its pitching in order to be championship caliber.

9. Catcher (top to bottom) is a major failing and needs an overhaul. Those eight C's they drafted a couple of years ago? None of them progressed, either because the Pohlads wouldn't pay a good minor league instructor or it was just one of those things.

10. I believe there was a 3rd catcher or pitcher to be had in the Rule 5 draft.

11. I like moving up from #13 to #5, but it won't generate the same excitement as it does in Basketball/Hockey until it can also be used in trades.

I will answer every thought you had

1. Yes this good move and they got someone who is highly respected in baseball. I heard he made the move because the twins play spring ball in Florida where his family lives so it give him 2 extra months to be with his family unlike Oakland who plays in Arizona.

2. Go look at the Miami bats the last three years not good. James is not even the #2 hitting coach there he's like number 3

3. Like the unis the M hats suck. Really like the crème jerseys

4. I disagree I think they should sign Correa he fills a need and we can't rely on Lewis with his knees to be the future.

5. If they do sign Correa that give them 5 years of Lewis at 3rd base Correa at SS Lee at 2nd and Kirilloff at first sign me up for that.

6. Platoon in left with Gordon and trade Kepler for reliever.

7. They just need to hit on some pitching prospects

8. See answer 6

9. Need to sign Vazquez to 3 year deal to be the catcher and then maybe shop Jeffers around.

10. The passed on rule 5 today.

11. I believe if I'm right from pick 13 to 5 it goes from 12% to 25% the guy will become a major leaguer
Monster

Post by Monster »

I had forgotten that the draft lottery was a thing that was happing in MLB. It's great that the Twins moved up and this seems like a good year to move up based on the little I read. This also increases their signing money too.

Jester you said Brooks Lee is the real deal. What does that deal look like?

I'll add that Polonco is a guy that could be dealt at some point I kinda doubt he has a great deal of value. He might be part of a package to get better somewhere but IMO dealing him isn't gonna solve a spot for the Twins. Until they have an actual long term replacement at 2nd base ready to go he probably has value to the Twins on the roster.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:I had forgotten that the draft lottery was a thing that was happing in MLB. It's great that the Twins moved up and this seems like a good year to move up based on the little I read. This also increases their signing money too.

Jester you said Brooks Lee is the real deal. What does that deal look like?

I'll add that Polonco is a guy that could be dealt at some point I kinda doubt he has a great deal of value. He might be part of a package to get better somewhere but IMO dealing him isn't gonna solve a spot for the Twins. Until they have an actual long term replacement at 2nd base ready to go he probably has value to the Twins on the roster.

Hopefully he turns into Jose Rameriez but switch hitter that should project to 20-30 home run power with high BA as well. He definitely won't stick at SS though from what I seen from him he doesn't have the range to be one.