2021 Draft

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

2021 Draft

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Fun read on our top 2 picks.

https://twinsdaily.com/index.html/minnesota-twins-news-rumors/twins-mlb-draft-chase-petty-noah-miller/?sc=editorial&keyid=KFXN&pname=local_social&fbclid=IwAR1CO3VKeQGzeucJypCOuMerrE3wEqeVKbXv7OMqm76d7p8btMw2_UqZAkE
Jester1534

Re: 2021 Draft

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Fun read on our top 2 picks.

https://twinsdaily.com/index.html/minnesota-twins-news-rumors/twins-mlb-draft-chase-petty-noah-miller/?sc=editorial&keyid=KFXN&pname=local_social&fbclid=IwAR1CO3VKeQGzeucJypCOuMerrE3wEqeVKbXv7OMqm76d7p8btMw2_UqZAkE

Very anti Twins normal draft from this regime. Usually they go with Hitting prospects with college experience like Rooker and Larnach. I know both is about these guys but always excited when a guy can throw 100 and people say his best pitch is his slider.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Fun read on our top 2 picks.

Very anti Twins normal draft from this regime. Usually they go with Hitting prospects with college experience like Rooker and Larnach. I know both is about these guys but always excited when a guy can throw 100 and people say his best pitch is his slider.

Chase seems like a pretty fun dude.

Why would a guy like Chase fall this far in the draft? How much did/is COVID impact/ing scouting?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Why would a guy like Chase fall this far in the draft? How much did/is COVID impact/ing scouting?

I can Answer this bleed from my time scouting.

One he's in high school and I can tell you every scout hates high school pitchers.

But the major reason is he has no change up developed yet. Not saying he can't get a decent one but if he's just fastball slider guy then he just a bullpen arm for the rest of his life. Your not looking for bull pen arms in first round.

Jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Why would a guy like Chase fall this far in the draft? How much did/is COVID impact/ing scouting?

One he's in high school and I can tell you every scout hates high school pitchers.

But the major reason is he has no change up developed yet. Not saying he can't get a decent one but if he's just fastball slider guy then he just a bullpen arm for the rest of his life. Your not looking for bull pen arms in first round.

Interesting. How often do kids have change-ups at 18? Hunter Greene was that HS pitcher we passed on for Royce Lewis. Are these kids comparable?

Chase seems to have had a lot of coaching at this point. This was a good read.
https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/1/4/22206979/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-chase-petty
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Interesting. How often do kids have change-ups at 18? Hunter Greene was that HS pitcher we passed on for Royce Lewis. Are these kids comparable?

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/1/4/22206979/2021-mlb-draft-scouting-report-chase-petty

Something I read yesterday said he actually had a change up. I didn't assume it was completely refined (it's a HS pitcher) but it sounded like it was something he had worked on and had at least thrown in HS games. Regardless I think we can get Astudillo to teach him to change speeds. #latortugapitchingcoach
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

There was a lot of fan fare around him to because of the SI cover. I would say no on comparing them. From what understand is Greene constituently hits 100 on the gun as chase is around 97. Might seem much but it's big difference.

To answer monster question most kids do have a so called change up but it's not even close to major league ready. These kids when you go watch them don't have to ever throw it because they can just love of there fastball and breaking ball and strike everyone out. I bet he threw his change up less than 100 times this year in high school.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

There was a lot of fan fare around him to because of the SI cover. I would say no on comparing them. From what understand is Greene constituently hits 100 on the gun as chase is around 97. Might seem much but it's big difference.

To answer monster question most kids do have a so called change up but it's not even close to major league ready. These kids when you go watch them don't have to ever throw it because they can just love of there fastball and breaking ball and strike everyone out. I bet he threw his change up less than 100 times this year in high school.

I agree with the takes on this topic that Chase is an exciting pick at 26, and that also he is not Hunter Greene. Greene is so much bigger and as Jester says threw over 100 more consistently in HS. It's a shame that elbow problems have geld Greene back, but he really shined in AA this summer. Unfortunately he has not been as effective since being promoted to AAA.

Really glad and surprised Chase was there for us at 25...seems like a very confident, entertaining kid, and love the velocity and spin rate. It's going to be fun to watch him develop.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

I agree with the takes on this topic that Chase is an exciting pick at 26, and that also he is not Hunter Greene. Greene is so much bigger and as Jester says threw over 100 more consistently in HS. It's a shame that elbow problems have geld Greene back, but he really shined in AA this summer. Unfortunately he has not been as effective since being promoted to AAA.

Really glad and surprised Chase was there for us at 25...seems like a very confident, entertaining kid, and love the velocity and spin rate. It's going to be fun to watch him develop.

Thanks Jester for the insight. I'm just going off what I read. I just read perfect game actually said the change was his best secondary pitch. I was curious how many pitches he even threw last year and he did pitch a lot. The stats I saw before this season he had pitched a total of 22 innings. Maybe that's part of why he wasn't thought of as highly? Idk I'm waaay out of my depth here. Lol