The case for not having Kirilloff start out the year on the Twins roster.

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
FNG

Re: The case for not having Kirilloff start out the year on the Twins roster.

Post by FNG »

Alex Kirilloff is the real deal and is going to be a Twins star for years. BUT...isn't his poor hitting this spring making this decision quite easy for the Twins? He is now hitting .136 with 7 K's in 22 ABs. Letting him start the season in St. Paul (where us locals can still watch him play and hopefully rake if they allow fans in) seems to me to be the right decision both from a baseball standpoint and a business standpoint.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

FNG wrote:Alex Kirilloff is the real deal and is going to be a Twins star for years. BUT...isn't his poor hitting this spring making this decision quite easy for the Twins? He is now hitting .136 with 7 K's in 22 ABs. Letting him start the season in St. Paul (where us locals can still watch him play and hopefully rake if they allow fans in) seems to me to be the right decision both from a baseball standpoint and a business standpoint.

I would agree with that. I don't think the FO would prefer he start the year there and this just makes it so much easier.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Come on, guys. I thought for sure this thread would have some activity considering today's news about Alex Kirilloff. He was optioned today!
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:Come on, guys. I thought for sure this thread would have some activity considering today's news about Alex Kirilloff. He was optioned today!

Having a shit day personally. And all the Rubio petty bs on the other board makes me
Not want to post. But I will end with I was right the twins are right. See you May 1st Mr. Kirilloff.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Yeah, this could have been a difficult decision for the Twins, but Alex did them a favor and basically made the decision for them. Jester's right that spring training numbers don't mean crap when you're talking about a veteran. But if you're 23 and trying to go north with the big team for the first time, a .129 batting average with 1 RBI in 31 at bats isn't going to get you there. This kid's swing is beautiful and he is going to be a middle of the lineup guy for at least a decade, but this is not his time. Maybe he's got an injury he's not telling us about, or maybe he was pushing too much...we don't know why a guy who has hit at every level struggled this spring.

Find your timing again, Alex. I'm looking forward to watching you in St. Paul next month, and at Target Field this summer.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

FNG wrote:Yeah, this could have been a difficult decision for the Twins, but Alex did them a favor and basically made the decision for them. Jester's right that spring training numbers don't mean crap when you're talking about a veteran. But if you're 23 and trying to go north with the big team for the first time, a .129 batting average with 1 RBI in 31 at bats isn't going to get you there. This kid's swing is beautiful and he is going to be a middle of the lineup guy for at least a decade, but this is not his time. Maybe he's got an injury he's not telling us about, or maybe he was pushing too much...we don't know why a guy who has hit at every level struggled this spring.

Find your timing again, Alex. I'm looking forward to watching you in St. Paul next month, and at Target Field this summer.

It was also his first live at bats in well over a year, which probably contributed to why he didn't perform this spring, but otherwise I agree with everything you said here. No worries for me. We'll see him in the bigs soon enough.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Right now Kirilloff has had some moments but overall at this point does not look like a guy that should have been with the team from the start.

Trevor Larnach who Cam brought up as a guy that might be more ready and possibly being comparable in talent has had the much better season to this point and quite frankly is one of the bright spots of the season.