Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by bleedspeed »

Cole is signed. I think we lost our chance at Bumgarner now that Angels and Dodgers have shifted focus to him.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Cole is signed. I think we lost our chance at Bumgarner now that Angels and Dodgers have shifted focus to him.

Unfortunately, Bumgarner was always going to wait for Cole to sign for this very reason.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I would say Wheeler set the bar not waiting out Cole.

bleedspeed177 wrote:I would say Wheeler set the bar not waiting out Cole.

Wheeler definitely plays into what Bumgarner will ultimately end up getting -- especially since they are comparable values with similar ages -- but Cole is the big domino that had to fall.

Bumgarner and his representation knew that once Cole signed, the teams that fell short of signing him would pivot to the next best thing, which is arguably Bumgarner. That's just how the market was going to fall. Had Wheeler not signed early, the same could be said for him.

It's very similar to what's happening with Rendon and Donaldson. Donaldson and his reps know that he can drive up his value once Rendon is no longer available because those that don't get Rendon will look to him.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Supposedly Teams are intrested in Rosario. I could see this is the way we get a starting pitcher and not overpay for MadBum. Also after Falvely comments yesterday it sounds like there going Platoon First base with Margo and Rooker.

jester1534 wrote:Supposedly Teams are intrested in Rosario. I could see this is the way we get a starting pitcher and not overpay for MadBum. Also after Falvely comments yesterday it sounds like there going Platoon First base with Margo and Rooker.

That would be a pretty bad off-season from where I sit. If the Twins were serious about contending, which is what they essentially told the fans, they would be willing to marginally overpay for an arm -- or two -- and a corner infielder. Ideally, this would have been any combination of Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Zack Wheeler, and Madison Bumgarner plus Anthony Rendon, Josh Donaldson, Nicholas Castellanos, Mike Moustakas, and even Didi Gregorius.

Instead, Twins fans will likely be told to be happy about Jake Odorizzi taking the qualifying offer and signing Dallas Keuchel, Michael Pineda, and Alex Avila. What a joke that would be.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Camden wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:I would say Wheeler set the bar not waiting out Cole.

Wheeler definitely plays into what Bumgarner will ultimately end up getting -- especially since they are comparable values with similar ages -- but Cole is the big domino that had to fall.

Bumgarner and his representation knew that once Cole signed, the teams that fell short of signing him would pivot to the next best thing, which is arguably Bumgarner. That's just how the market was going to fall. Had Wheeler not signed early, the same could be said for him.

It's very similar to what's happening with Rendon and Donaldson. Donaldson and his reps know that he can drive up his value once Rendon is no longer available because those that don't get Rendon will look to him.

I don't buy that based on last few off-season's. Lots of guys didn't sign not due to skill, but teams not wanting to play to the pay game.
Monster

Post by Monster »

35 and 36 million a year for Strausburg and Cole. Seems about right especially after what Wheeler got. I figured they would get at least 30 million per. It's kinda cool Strausburg stayed with the Nationals

Rendon to the Angels I like that Trout is getting some help and it sounds like they aren't done.

As for the Twins...Jester tell me more about this Margo guy. :) It took me way to long to figure out the autocorrect on that one. Lol I never really thought the Twins were going to end up with one of the truly big names for a variety of reasons. The offseason isn't over and the Twins have money to spend. Teams are interested in Rosario? What are they willing to give up? This offseason hasn't exactly been exciting but it's still early.

MarGo = Marwin Gonzalez
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:MarGo = Marwin Gonzalez

Thanks man!