2022 off season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: 2022 off season

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Out of respect for the fact that this is a sports message board, I will leave it here. But I have A LOT to say on this subject.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35583277/mlb-forms-economic-group-regional-tv-peril
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Michael Fulmer signed with the Cubs yesterday, I would have liked him back on this Twins team, but Derek Falvey essentially said the bullpen is something they feel is strong as it is. I can understand that position, but I do think they need at least one more quality arm there. Andrew Chafin remains available and has been very good the last two seasons. I wonder what he would cost.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:Michael Fulmer signed with the Cubs yesterday, I would have liked him back on this Twins team, but Derek Falvey essentially said the bullpen is something they feel is strong as it is. I can understand that position, but I do think they need at least one more quality arm there. Andrew Chafin remains available and has been very good the last two seasons. I wonder what he would cost.

I was hoping they would be able to get Fulmer on the roster at some point but not now...assuming he passes his physical! :)

I am certainly not suggesting the Twins should get a full vote of confidence but they have had some real success finding bullpen guys. Like you I would have felt better if they added another known quantity to that group. I'll be curious what Fulmer gets. I mean who would rather have him or Pagan?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Donovan Solano the missing piece of the offseason! Lol it seems like a solid cheap vet pickup to me.

Will the Twins make another move before the season?
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:Donovan Solano the missing piece of the offseason! Lol it seems like a solid cheap vet pickup to me.

Not an insignificant addition, Monster...Solano can flat out hit. Not much power, but the last 4 seasons he has hit .326, .280, .284 and .278. Pretty good, and pretty consistent. He's 35 years old and not known as a great defensive infielder (I think), but he can play anywhere in the infield and rakes against LHP. Good acquisition I think!

I don't know if they will (or need to) make another move. People talk about the bullpen, but with Alcala healthy again, I have no problems with Duran, Lopez, Jax, Thielbar, Moran, and Alcala...we just have to limit the Pagan appearances! I'm feeling optimistic about this season, but that's not unusual for me in March (or at least until Buxton gets hurt again :mad: )
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Donovan Solano the missing piece of the offseason! Lol it seems like a solid cheap vet pickup to me.

Not an insignificant addition, Monster...Solano can flat out hit. Not much power, but the last 4 seasons he has hit .326, .280, .284 and .278. Pretty good, and pretty consistent. He's 35 years old and not known as a great defensive infielder (I think), but he can play anywhere in the infield and rakes against LHP. Good acquisition I think!

I don't know if they will (or need to) make another move. People talk about the bullpen, but with Alcala healthy again, I have no problems with Duran, Lopez, Jax, Thielbar, Moran, and Alcala...we just have to limit the Pagan appearances! I'm feeling optimistic about this season, but that's not unusual for me in March (or at least until Buxton gets hurt again :mad: )

Actually I believe Solano at one point was a good defensive 2B from what I read. There have been a couple people that have compared him Arraez and one person called him the Walmart Arraez. :) I'm not sure what store Arraez came from but anyway. Lol Anyway it seems like even if Salano has dropped off some defensively/lost some mobility he is likely at least solid at 2nd if he is needed there might be pretty good at 1b and not a total disaster if they have to play him at 3rd. Basically he would be an upgrade on defense over both Arraez and Nick Gordon. I love both of those guys but my goodness sometimes last year Nick Gordon looked like an OF playing infield. I'm addition it sounds like he is a great guy and had an interesting career where he had to grind out playing a few years in the minors before getting another shot past his 30th birthday and then ended up winning a silver slugger award. Baseball is kind of a weird sport where a guy older can end up sort of figuring it out and having a nice career into their mid to late 30's...or maybe beyond. Theilbar is trying to do that as an even older player.

Edit: They made that move in the pen you didn't think they need to do with a waiver claim of Dennis Santana! Also they signed another Reds player Jeff Hoffman to a minor league deal.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Monster, my sources tell me the Twins were confused...they thought the Santana they were getting was Johan!

They seem to be eager to find someone to replace Megill in the pen (he gave up 6 runs in 1/3 of an inning yesterday!). My initial thought is Santana is another Megill...a promising hard thrower with no command. I don't know, but they seem to have a surplus of good starters in AAA...I would prefer to see them convert one of those to a reliever (like they did with Jax, with great success).
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:Monster, my sources tell me the Twins were confused...they thought the Santana they were getting was Johan!

They seem to be eager to find someone to replace Megill in the pen (he gave up 6 runs in 1/3 of an inning yesterday!). My initial thought is Santana is another Megill...a promising hard thrower with no command. I don't know, but they seem to have a surplus of good starters in AAA...I would prefer to see them convert one of those to a reliever (like they did with Jax, with great success).

My sources said they thought they were getting Danny Santana! Lol just looked up his stats he had a heck of 2019 season at the plate and then at this point his career was basically all over including a suspension in 2022.

I think the Twins are looking for as many chances to get someone to be the next whatever guy they can. Remember all the guys they claimed and waived later that passed through and are in the minors? It's not a bad strategy. If there is one thing in sports where you can find really good players from the total scrap heap it's relieve pitchers.

As for converting starters...that may come at some point but I'm not sure who would be a candidate now. Maybe Cole Sands? I think they probably want to have as many starters as they can get because last year they had plenty of issues with guys staying healthy who were starters at all the higher levels of the organization. If Ober can't stay healthy this year...and/or maybe Winder then it may be time to make the move to put them in the pen next season.