Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:Orioles placed Jonathan Villar on waivers? Yuck. I get that he's projected to make $10.4M in arbitration, but come on. How do you justify that to your fans?

Villar was 4.0 WAR last year! Know who else was 4.0 WAR? Whit Merrifield, Tim Anderson, and Max Kepler.

Know who was sub-4.0 WAR? Anthony Rizzo, Gleyber Torres, and Austin Meadows.

You don't put those guys on waivers!

He'll probably clear waivers because apparently Baltimore tried to dump him beforehand, but if Minnesota wants to steal a really solid player that can do a lot of different things for a ball club, he'd be a good get.

Speaking of Orioles theres report there shopping around Bundy. I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on him and letting Wes Johnson get his hands on him. Ton of arm talent just hasnt been able to put everything together.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
Camden wrote:Orioles placed Jonathan Villar on waivers? Yuck. I get that he's projected to make $10.4M in arbitration, but come on. How do you justify that to your fans?

Villar was 4.0 WAR last year! Know who else was 4.0 WAR? Whit Merrifield, Tim Anderson, and Max Kepler.

He'll probably clear waivers because apparently Baltimore tried to dump him beforehand, but if Minnesota wants to steal a really solid player that can do a lot of different things for a ball club, he'd be a good get.

Speaking of Orioles theres report there shopping around Bundy. I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on him and letting Wes Johnson get his hands on him. Ton of arm talent just hasnt been able to put everything together.

Can Villar play 3b full time? Would that make more sense than bringing back Cron?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

Can Villar play 3b full time? Would that make more sense than bringing back Cron?

Villar can be used at various positions, but I think I'd put him at his natural position at second and let Arraez rotate in at third, second, and outfield.

Villar would give the Twins a natural leadoff man that also possesses pop.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

Villar can be used at various positions, but I think I'd put him at his natural position at second and let Arraez rotate in at third, second, and outfield.

Villar would give the Twins a natural leadoff man that also possesses pop.

Villar has a better UZR then Polanco so it would make more sense to move polanco to 2nd and Arraez to third.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Kyle Gibson to Rangers for 3yr/30M
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Cron decision today

https://www.skornorth.com/twins-2/2019/12/mlb-trade-rumors-considers-c-j-cron-as-a-candidate-to-be-non-tendered/
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Cron decision today

https://www.skornorth.com/twins-2/2019/12/mlb-trade-rumors-considers-c-j-cron-as-a-candidate-to-be-non-tendered/

Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Are their other budget guys they could get and save a couple million instead of sticking with Cron? Can we get someone the Rays waived? Lol
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Are their other budget guys they could get and save a couple million instead of sticking with Cron? Can we get someone the Rays waived? Lol

Eric Thames
Mitch Moreland
Matt Adams
Justin Smoak
Ryan Zimmerman

These guys are a dime a dozen all the names listed above have OPS of .740 or higher. The problem for Cron is there never been easier time finding a first basemen to hit you 20-25 home runs and have OPS n the id to high 700s. Moreland intrigues me because of his glove hes in the mx for the gold glove every year there.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Eric Thames
Mitch Moreland
Matt Adams
Justin Smoak
Ryan Zimmerman

These guys are a dime a dozen all the names listed above have OPS of .740 or higher. The problem for Cron is there never been easier time finding a first basemen to hit you 20-25 home runs and have OPS n the id to high 700s. Moreland intrigues me because of his glove hes in the mx for the gold glove every year there.

I think what theoretically separates Cron is he is more of a 30 HR guy if healthy. The problem was health. I guess Lavine said his thumb injury and surgery was "Significant". They didn't tender him a contract and did the same with Hildenburger. Ultimately I think if they weren't sure Cron was coming back healthy they probably figured they could sign guys for less or equal to what Cron was going to make in arbitration. Cron made just under 5 million last year and that was a pretty solid addition for the cost. 35 on the 40 man roster now. I wonder if they might claim someone.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Take this for what it's worth, but Yancen Pujols tweeted that the Minnesota Twins are interested in Jonathan Villar. It's probably more of the same smoke that we've seen before. The Twins kick the tires on a lot of players, but I would like to see Villar at the top of this lineup. 4.0 WAR last year and he's in his prime and doesn't cost much of anything. Go get him.