Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Camden wrote:All in on Madison Bumgarner. Make it happen or don't even think about contending next year.

I agree there. We are bidding against White Sox it seems.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/madison-bumgarner-rumors-twins-white-sox-braves-yankees-reds.html

Ideally, the Twins lock on Madison Bumgarner for something around the 5/100 price tag and then trade for another starter. Whether that's Noah Syndergaard, Jon Gray, Matthew Boyd, or another, we'd be set heading into the season.

I think Zack Wheeler has higher potential than Bumgarner due to superior velocity and movement on his pitches, but there's no denying that the latter is more accomplished and post-season proven. He's been a tick below what he was in his prime, but I wonder if there's something the Twins could unlock with him to get him closer back to that elite level.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
Camden wrote:All in on Madison Bumgarner. Make it happen or don't even think about contending next year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/madison-bumgarner-rumors-twins-white-sox-braves-yankees-reds.html

Ideally, the Twins lock on Madison Bumgarner for something around the 5/100 price tag and then trade for another starter. Whether that's Noah Syndergaard, Jon Gray, Matthew Boyd, or another, we'd be set heading into the season.

I think Zack Wheeler has higher potential than Bumgarner due to superior velocity and movement on his pitches, but there's no denying that the latter is more accomplished and post-season proven. He's been a tick below what he was in his prime, but I wonder if there's something the Twins could unlock with him to get him closer back to that elite level.

Sounds like the twins finished in second place with 5 for 100 million contract which is what I thought Wheeler was worth. Hopefully they can go get MadBum now. I liked Wheeler a lot but it was because of his upside. If your going to pay 24 million to him why not spend 28-30 million on Strausburg.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Sounds like the twins finished in second place with 5 for 100 million contract which is what I thought Wheeler was worth. Hopefully they can go get MadBum now. I liked Wheeler a lot but it was because of his upside. If your going to pay 24 million to him why not spend 28-30 million on Strausburg.

After what Wheeler got that number on Strausburg seems low right? I'm being serious it seems like you gotta start at 30 million for a guy like him at this point (thought that was likely the case before Wheeler signed) but I get what you are saying and agree.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Bumgarner should be the guy. Offer him a 4 year 90M deal

Year 1 - 30M
Year 2 - 25M
Year 3 - 20M
Year 4 - 15M (player option)

Sign Bumgarner and let's go steal Syndergaard away from the shit-hole that is the New York Mets. We have the farm system and MLB level players to make that happen. It wouldn't even put a dent on the pool of assets Minnesota has.

I also think bringing back Pineda on a cost-controlled deal would be wise. He was a very solid backend starter and his suspension doesn't extend too far into the season.

If you head into the season with a rotation of Syndergaard, Berrios, Bumgarner, Odorizzi, and Graterol -- with Pineda as insurance -- we'd be real championship contenders. I truly believe that.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Camden wrote:Sign Bumgarner and let's go steal Syndergaard away from the shit-hole that is the New York Mets. We have the farm system and MLB level players to make that happen. It wouldn't even put a dent on the pool of assets Minnesota has.

I also think bringing back Pineda on a cost-controlled deal would be wise. He was a very solid backend starter and his suspension doesn't extend too far into the season.

If you head into the season with a rotation of Syndergaard, Berrios, Bumgarner, Odorizzi, and Graterol -- with Pineda as insurance -- we'd be real championship contenders. I truly believe that.

I am not sure the Mets trade Syndergaard until they feel they can't be in the post season in 2020.

O like going after Bumgarner and Pineda. I think Bumgarner is better when pitching for a contender. He would be the best pitching signing for this team since Jack Morris.

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Camden wrote:Sign Bumgarner and let's go steal Syndergaard away from the shit-hole that is the New York Mets. We have the farm system and MLB level players to make that happen. It wouldn't even put a dent on the pool of assets Minnesota has.

I am not sure the Mets trade Syndergaard until they feel they can't be in the post season in 2020.

O like going after Bumgarner and Pineda. I think Bumgarner is better when pitching for a contender. He would be the best pitching signing for this team since Jack Morris.

I think everyone on that roster not named Jacob DeGrom or Pete Alonso can be had for the right price. The Mets are entering a rebuild whether they like it or not. They swung and missed on the Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz trade. They let Zack Wheeler walk in free agency. They're trying to attach their current young MLB players -- J.D. Davis and/or Dominic Smith -- to bad contracts to clean up their payroll. It's all bad in New York right now. Now is the time to strike.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:

I'll say it again there's no chance the Mets will deal Syndergaard. Their owner Fred Wilpon is 83 years old and he will not go through another rebuild because he know he will most likely not live through to see the benifits.

We talk about the White Sox and how there a rising team. They were in the exact postion the Mets find themselves now.

Traded Sale (DeGrom) for Moncanda and Kopech
Traded Quintana (Thor) for OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease
Traded Adam Eation (Jeff Mcneil) for Lucas Giolitio and Reynaldo Lopez

The Mets should be taking this apporach instead they bought into Marcus Stroman. This is how you make bad deals when your team is stuck in no mans land. Ask the White Sox Im sure they had Fernado Tatis Jr. right now to pair with Moncanda but they traded him away for James Sheilds
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Pineda back on a two year 20 million dollar deal. Another great deal for this regime they just got Pineda on the Kyle Gibson deal for one less year. Now go get MadBum and Donaldson!!!!
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:Pineda back on a two year 20 million dollar deal. Another great deal for this regime they just got Pineda on the Kyle Gibson deal for one less year. Now go get MadBum and Donaldson!!!!

I'm pretty happy getting Pineda back for that deal honestly. If healthy I think he could be a pretty good starter.

Earlier last season I was not really a Bumgarner believer. He ended up having a nice season. I guess my point still stood that I didn't want to give up a lot for a partial season rental but at this point if we could sign him I'd be in on that. I wonder how high the price tag will be (both in terms of dollars and years) after Wheeler signed. Once ai know what the price actually is maaaaybe I'll get a little queazy. Lol