Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:The Offseason Is Upon us so I thought I give my Early plan on what to do with the team. The Twins are interesting position having all these young guys locked into arbitration or nice long-term deals like Kepler and Polanco. As of right now accounting for arbitration the twin's payroll sits around 69 Million. Two years ago, the Twins had a payroll of 130 Million and last year payroll was 120 million. Based on the increase revenue this year and I'm sure many season tickets the sold for next year we should be an around 140 million but let's be honest were in a winning window so let's bump it up to 145-150 Million.

This give the Twins around 75 million Dollars to play with so this my offseason plan.
With Jake Ordozzi getting the QO which I suspect he will take that's 18 million off the books. To be fair I been writing this since Saturday in my original plan I did suggest giving him the QO.

Now to fix the rest of the rotation

Zach Wheeler: (4 Years 72 million)
I think Zach is perfect fit for Wes Johnson. He has 97 mph fastball and is ready to take the next step to quality ace in his career. He has a strong 9.0 K/9 which I think with Wes tinkering can even go higher. I don't feel comfortable with Strasburg arm holding up for 6 years and there's to many reports of Cole going to somewhere on the West coast.

Robbie Ray (10.8 million 2020/Sign to extension like Wheeler (18-20 mil per year subtract 9 million Eddie Rosario)
I believe the Twins should trade Eddie Rosario, Jordy Blaze and Brent Rooker)
Why the Diamondbacks do this trade they get a clean up hitter to play left field. David Pelrata hit .275 with only 12 home runs in that ballpark playing left field for them. They also get a ready guy in Rooker to compete for a job at first base and a top 100 prospect in Jordy Blaze to eventually replace Ray. Why the Twins do it is because the same reason I would sign Zach Wheeler. There's potential huge upside to this guy.

Anthony Rendon (8 Years 264 Million)
So, I just traded our cleanup hitter but I'm replacing him with a Bonafede stud in Rendon. Rendon is the perfect for any team but especially ours. He can take over 3rd for Sano and Sano can make the change to first base during the offseason. Also, he has playoff experience now =)

I move Marwin to Left field till Larnach or Killroff are ready to take over halfway through the year.

Extend Byron Buxton his estimate is going to be around 3 million this year in arbitration. So, I would offer him 6 for 60 million. Let's be honest if he's healthy he's worth way more but the problem is he's never healthy. I think it's a team friendly deal that works for both parts involved. (7millon more per year)

I like all these deals because they help us now. The only guy we have left to lock up that's a starter is Sano but with Odo coming off the books you can give that 18 million to Sano or give Sano the QO offer as well. I Spent 85Million to put our pay roll 154 Million. Yes, I did overspend by 4 million, but I think its worth it to lock up Buxton. Let me know what you think of the plan. Hopefully the Pohlad's finally open the checkbook.

It's interesting to look back at Jester's plan in light of what happened this offseason. The rotation wasn't addressed but Wheeler cost more than what was expected both in terms of yearly salary and 5 years. Donaldson was signed to man 3b and could be a pretty huge signing. The Twins didn't use up any assets other than giving up a pick to sign Donaldson so a trade at some point is certainly possible. To me this team will likely he plenty competitive (unless disaster strikes the rotation) so it's more about the playoffs than just becoming better. A trade in season might make sense. Of course The Twins traded for Odo in February so you never know what kind of move could be made in the next few days/weeks.

I was looking at this the other day too. Not going to lie I feel like they followed my plan. They were in on Wheeler and as you said he got extra year and way more money. When I did this was based off the twins daily predictions for salary's.

Odo got the QO

Donaldson over Rendon but they did see 3rd base as a place to improve.

Signed Sano to extension not Buxton but basically gave him 10 mil a year for 4 years.

And in all honesty they should still trade Rosario.

Usually when I do these I'm not even close at least I got one right with Odo lol
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Jester can be our next GM.

Jester1534 wrote:

As for Royce Lewis I believe he won't stick in the infield and will play centerfield. Which means if Buxton injuries continue or he doesn't produce he will be replaced by Lewis. At the end of the day say Lewis bat doesn't progress he would still be the the twins 9 hitter foreseeable future.

Edit: Also Lewis played CF in the Arizona Fall League

As much as I would love to see him stick in the infield I think you are right. Would you ever take a guy with his talent and upside and play him as a all over the field utility guy when Marwin Gonzalez contract is up.
Monster

Post by Monster »

It was Ryne Harper...nooooooooooooo!!! I can't believe we signed Donaldson and let go of Harper! Lol Harper was my first guess of who they would let go. I'd guess some team picks him up but if not It would be cool to have him back.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

As for Royce Lewis I believe he won't stick in the infield and will play centerfield. Which means if Buxton injuries continue or he doesn't produce he will be replaced by Lewis. At the end of the day say Lewis bat doesn't progress he would still be the the twins 9 hitter foreseeable future.

Edit: Also Lewis played CF in the Arizona Fall League

As much as I would love to see him stick in the infield I think you are right. Would you ever take a guy with his talent and upside and play him as a all over the field utility guy when Marwin Gonzalez contract is up.

I'd hope we could find other moderately talented players to play Marwin's role. Playing in the infield is valuable but a good CF has a ton of value especially if they can hit some too. We see flashes of that with Buxton and Lewis probably won't be as good defensively in CF but that's a pretty high bar. It's probably worth noting that Lewis still played most of his AFL games in the infield. Out of 22 games he played 5 in CF. If he ends up being a good player I don't really care what position it's at. :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins get something for Ryne Harper. Seems like a decent prospect a 9th round guy in last year's draft. Plenty of time before they have to worry about him being on the roster. So the Twins signed Harper to a minor league deal last year, got some worthwhile innings out of him (some bad ones too) and then ended up dealing him for a decent prospect. Not too shabby. Not amazing but not bad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twincities.com/2020/01/29/twins-trade-ryne-harper-to-washington/amp/
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins sign Jhoulys Chacin to a minor league deal. Seems like a pretty good flyer to take on a guy that's had some effective seasons in the past. it feels a bit comforting to have another vet option for the first part of the season.

I saw that. Not a bad move. He has been able to be an innings eater in the past.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Twins involved in the Boston Dodgers trade today. Gave up Gaterol for Maeda .
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

PorkChop wrote:Twins involved in the Boston Dodgers trade today. Gave up Gaterol for Maeda .

I actually like this trade. The Twins view Gaterol as a relief pitcher so they get an above average starter for a good relief guy.

Im cool with this trade. I did think we could get a legit ace out of Gaterol but Im cool with this.