Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Dan Hayes reporter in his latest piece the Twins did make Donaldson a 4 year offer and he is the target for the offseason. If they are somehow able to end up with Donaldson I would honestly be pretty happy even though there are some legit questions about this rotation. Donaldson would be a pretty big get for this franchise. Will we get him? Idk fingers crossed.

I am not as big on Donaldson as others on this board. I just think by year 3 or 4 of the contract we would be regretting it.

What about a trade for Escobar and Robbie?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2019/12/20/robbie-ray-trade-speculation-madison-bumgarner-arizona-diamondbacks/2709487001/

I was less sure about Donaldson although I was more bullish on getting him than you are but then I looked back at his playing history and he played 155 or more games every year since becoming a full time player except the previous 2 years before last season where he was injured. So this isn't a guy that's been plagued by injures for years and then had a couple fluke seasons where he stayed healthy and produced. It's more like the 2 seasons he was hurt were more of the fluke. Plus he is a good defensive player you aren't just getting a bat. Could he fall off? Sure. I bet in a couple years guys Like Cron or a little better will be getting close to 10 million as salaries will keep going up so...what's an extra 10-15 million for a guy that's been a league MVP? Donaldson wouldn't cost anything in a trade. Somehow I would guess those other guys are not going to come cheap. Escobar is on a bargain contract for 2 more years. He is 3 years younger than Donaldson but guess what? He has played one season of over 151 games...last season. I'm always an Escobar fan but he always got dinged up and missed some games it wasn't just because he was a utility guy. Andrianza is the same way.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I tried to look up what injuries he had. They seemed to be more the nagging type.

I really have not followed his career. He has bounced around a bit for an MVP.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I just saw a rumor that his camp is saying the first 4yr/110M takes him.

I would pass at anything over 4yr/88M.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I just saw a rumor that his camp is saying the first 4yr/110M takes him.

I would pass at anything over 4yr/88M.

I'm not sure I would go 4/110 but I would go 4/100 so I'd probably go a bit higher. If that's the number they want...you wonder if their is a lower number they would settle for if things drag out a while.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Guys, an extra $2.5-million annually is standing in the way of the Twins adding a former league MVP and 6.1 WAR in 2019. This isn't even difficult to think about. Derek Falvey and Thad Levine should have called Josh Donaldson's agency and said draw up the paperwork, done deal, welcome to Minnesota.

To put this into perspective, the Twins just signed Tyler Clippard to a one-year, $2.75-million deal. Is that really the kind of money annually that is going to hinder your club from making a huge splash in free agency? If so, that's disgusting and rather absurd to me.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm beginning to turn my attention to the 27-year old Nicholas Castellanos if I'm the Twins. I noted earlier in this thread that I think he could stick at first base and his bat has always been a plus. Give me the younger player entering his prime at a fraction of the cost. I've seen four-years, $56-million as the projected deal for Castellanos. I'd be comfortable offering something like four-years, $64-million granted he accepted the position change.

That would also leave some money over to acquire David Price from the Red Sox without giving up a top-50 prospect, assuming Boston eats approximately one-third ($32-million) of his remaining money owed ($96-million). That would leave Minnesota on the hook for three-years, $64-million total, which is relatively fair value for a pitcher like him based on the free agent market this off-season.

2020 Twins Batting Lineup:
1. Jorge Polanco - SS
2. Nicholas Castellanos - 1B
3. Nelson Cruz - DH
4. Max Kepler - RF
5. Miguel Sano - 3B
6. Eddie Rosario - LF
7. Mitch Garver - C
8. Luis Arraez - 2B
9. Byron Buxton - CF

2020 Twins Pitching Rotation:
1. Jose Berrios - RHP
2. David Price - LHP
3. Jake Odorizzi - RHP
4. Rich Hill - LHP
5. Michael Pineda - RHP

6. Homer Bailey, RHP
7. Devin Smeltzer, LHP
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:I'm beginning to turn my attention to the 27-year old Nicholas Castellanos if I'm the Twins. I noted earlier in this thread that I think he could stick at first base and his bat has always been a plus. Give me the younger player entering his prime at a fraction of the cost. I've seen four-years, $56-million as the projected deal for Castellanos. I'd be comfortable offering something like four-years, $64-million granted he accepted the position change.

That would also leave some money over to acquire David Price from the Red Sox without giving up a top-50 prospect, assuming Boston eats approximately one-third ($32-million) of his remaining money owed ($96-million). That would leave Minnesota on the hook for three-years, $64-million total, which is relatively fair value for a pitcher like him based on the free agent market this off-season.

2020 Twins Batting Lineup:
1. Jorge Polanco - SS
2. Nicholas Castellanos - 1B
3. Nelson Cruz - DH
4. Max Kepler - RF
5. Miguel Sano - 3B
6. Eddie Rosario - LF
7. Mitch Garver - C
8. Luis Arraez - 2B
9. Byron Buxton - CF

2020 Twins Pitching Rotation:
1. Jose Berrios - RHP
2. David Price - LHP
3. Jake Odorizzi - RHP
4. Rich Hill - LHP
5. Michael Pineda - RHP

6. Homer Bailey, RHP
7. Devin Smeltzer, LHP

Nick C turns 28 in March but that still makes him relatively young in terms of a reasonably accomplished position player. I'm not sure if I would go as high as 64 million for him but I like the idea of adding him and the idea that there are some other worthy options to consider.

I would be fine taking on even more salary for Price than you suggest. Now realistically if I could give up purposes of a certain level to to save millions of dollars...it's hard to argue with. If I'm willing to basically pay Price 21 million a year like you are saying he is worth why not 25 million or whatever if it means getting him and keeping a prospect you like? It doesn't look like a Price trade is in the cards at this point but I wonder if the Red Sox are trying to get value out of him while saving money. I wouldn't blame them for taking that position...depending on how far they are taking it. :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Guys, an extra $2.5-million annually is standing in the way of the Twins adding a former league MVP and 6.1 WAR in 2019. This isn't even difficult to think about. Derek Falvey and Thad Levine should have called Josh Donaldson's agency and said draw up the paperwork, done deal, welcome to Minnesota.

To put this into perspective, the Twins just signed Tyler Clippard to a one-year, $2.75-million deal. Is that really the kind of money annually that is going to hinder your club from making a huge splash in free agency? If so, that's disgusting and rather absurd to me.

Clippard seems like a pretty good use of 2.75 million so...screw you Josh Donaldson!!!! Lol jk like I have said 4 years 100 million is something I would do so like I said today I'd go a littler higher. I'd honestly feel better about going to 110 million for Donaldson than Wheeler and Wheeler cost 8 million more than this report of what Donaldson wants. If I'm like 5 million away on a 4 year deal from closing it on this type contract...yeah I probably pull the trigger. Bleed isn't anywhere near that and I respect his position.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I was ready to spend that kind of money on Bumgarner, but not on a 34-year-old position player who is 5 years removed from his MVP season. I expect Royce to be playing 3B in 2021 for us.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

We shouldn't look any further then Nelson Cruz to give us confidence about Donaldsons age.