2022 off season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Porckchop

Re: 2022 off season

Post by Porckchop »

How are players putting up such modest stats and getting such huge paydays.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

PorkChop wrote:How are players putting up such modest stats and getting such huge paydays.

That's what 5 war gets you. It's just like Mauer he's more valuable because he plays SS just like how Mauer was more valuable cause he played catcher. The reason Mauer contract ended being flop is he had to go first base 3 years into it.

It's pretty remarkable that they have Buxton and Correa for only 51 million. Hopefully the can stay healthy. It's better than tigers paying Cabrera and Baez $54 million.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Say what you want about this Front office but they do keep the books clean and it's the reason a move like this was possible.

This all started with
Rangers acquire: C Mitch Garver
Twins acquire: SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa, RHP Ronny Henriquez

Then
Yankees get: 3B Josh Donaldson, SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa, C Ben Rortvedt
Twins get: C Gary Sánchez, INF Gio Urshela

Twins got rid of Sanchez 9mil this off-season

Traded Urshela 6.5 million

Dump Donaldson in 2022 so 22 mil this year

That's 37.5 million dollars right there that equals one Correa year.

I rather have Correa than these three guys.

Everyone we gained
War
Correa 5.4
Miranda 1.0 half a season double it for full season 2.0
Vazquez 2.1
Total 9.5

Everyone we dumped
Donaldson 2.3
Urshela 3.1
Sanchez .9
Isiah Kiner-Falefa 3.0
Garver .4

Total 9.7

My point is we have 3 guys now that match the production of 5 players.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:
PorkChop wrote:How are players putting up such modest stats and getting such huge paydays.

That's what 5 war gets you. It's just like Mauer he's more valuable because he plays SS just like how Mauer was more valuable cause he played catcher. The reason Mauer contract ended being flop is he had to go first base 3 years into it.

It's pretty remarkable that they have Buxton and Correa for only 51 million. Hopefully the can stay healthy. It's better than tigers paying Cabrera and Baez $54 million.

In addition part of why some guys are getting the huge salaries is that salaries in general are expected to rise significantly over the next few years. The length is what is pretty astounding but the reality is teams are basically looking at a couple of those final seasons as void years and if the player somehow stays even worthwhile as a bench player great in like 10 years whatever that may be may still be worth 10-15 million. Fortunately Correa's deal is much less risky in terms of length.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:Say what you want about this Front office but they do keep the books clean and it's the reason a move like this was possible.

This all started with
Rangers acquire: C Mitch Garver
Twins acquire: SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa, RHP Ronny Henriquez

Then
Yankees get: 3B Josh Donaldson, SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa, C Ben Rortvedt
Twins get: C Gary Sánchez, INF Gio Urshela

Twins got rid of Sanchez 9mil this off-season

Traded Urshela 6.5 million

Dump Donaldson in 2022 so 22 mil this year

That's 37.5 million dollars right there that equals one Correa year.

I rather have Correa than these three guys.

Everyone we gained
War
Correa 5.4
Miranda 1.0 half a season double it for full season 2.0
Vazquez 2.1
Total 9.5

Everyone we dumped
Donaldson 2.3
Urshela 3.1
Sanchez .9
Isiah Kiner-Falefa 3.0
Garver .4

Total 9.7

My point is we have 3 guys now that match the production of 5 players.

That's a good breakdown. I'd add that making a move for Kyle Farmer was pretty solid too as he gives them a solid MLB backup in the infield and at SS which they really didn't have before.

Correa's FA was a unique situation...again and the Twins ended up being the team that ultimately won out. The more details that come out of the deal the better it sounds. It's pending a physical but I expect things to go through. This is basically a 6 year deal not a decade plus. The risk is still there but it's significantly lower.

Meanwhile a guy I know that said for that metal plate as long as Correa wraps that leg in a special wrapping tape most people call duct tape and say a prayer before going out on the field everything should be just fine. Lol
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Pretty Scary to think if healthy the twins have

Buxton
Correa
Lee
Lewis
Kirilloff
Miranda

All locked up till 2027-2028

Also they will have Salary flexibility next year as well.

Gray 12.5 mil
Mahle 7.5 mil
Maeda 10 mill roughly if healthy 3 mil if not
pagan 3.7 mil
Polanco 10 mil team option will be declined
Kepler if not traded 10 mil option will be declined

That's 44 million to spend on 3 starting pitcher spots next year. With Varland and SWH probably have to fill two spots but my point is the franchise is good spot money wise even with Correa money.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:Pretty Scary to think if healthy the twins have

Buxton
Correa
Lee
Lewis
Kirilloff
Miranda

All locked up till 2027-2028

Also they will have Salary flexibility next year as well.

Gray 12.5 mil
Mahle 7.5 mil
Maeda 10 mill roughly if healthy 3 mil if not
pagan 3.7 mil
Polanco 10 mil team option will be declined
Kepler if not traded 10 mil option will be declined

That's 44 million to spend on 3 starting pitcher spots next year. With Varland and SWH probably have to fill two spots but my point is the franchise is good spot money wise even with Correa money.

Good breakdown. I could see the Twins keeping Polonco at 10 million if he stays reasonably productive and healthy but health is a concern. Another team may want to trade for him at that number. It wouldn't be for anything too significant but yeah.

It will be interesting to see if they make any other moves yet. Locking in Correa means they could make an infield prospect available to make a trade for pitching.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The Twins had a press conference today it's a done deal. The more details of the Correa contract that I find out the better it looks. The risk the Twins are taking on this deal is extremely palatable to me and I'm fairly risk adverse. It's honestly head scratching to me that the Twins outbid the Mets to get him and reportedly by a pretty wide margin. I'll take it though and this front office certainly is willing to get creative. They should get some legit props for landing a FA like Correa twice even though unique circumstances were in play both times.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I figured I'd check in on this side of the board. Hopefully, D'Angelo Russell isn't the main topic of conversation at all times over here too.

The Minnesota Twins traded infielder Luis Arraez for starting pitcher Pablo Lopez, shortstop prospect Jose Salas, and outfield prospect Byron Chourio.

My initial reaction when the trade was reported was that the details were mixed up and that it was Minnesota who would be sending additional prospects to Miami. That's how good I felt about this swap and getting back Lopez. If you recall, I mentioned him as a sneaky-good trade target a year or two ago so I'm stoked that he's now a member of this rotation. He's also under team control through 2024, which is a very big deal.

Instead, it's the Twins who received a top-100 prospect, depending on where you look, in Salas and the fifth-best player in their farm, as well as a 17-year old super athlete in Chourio. Love both of their upsides and I'm curious where Salas winds up in the Twins system. He might be a top-five guy right this second.

I love the value. I love that the Twins sold high on Arraez, especially considering he doesn't have a natural defensive position. He's a tremendous hitter, but with little power and plenty of quality infield depth at the major league level and high minors, moving him makes a lot of sense given the season he just had.

Take trade evaluators with a grain of salt, but Baseball Trade Values is typically useful for a quick reference on how players are viewed around the league and whether a hypothetical trade would make sense for both teams. They have the following trade as follows:

Minnesota:
- Luis Arraez (26.6)

Total Value: 26.6

Miami:
- Pablo Lopez (38.8 )
- Jose Salas (20.5)
- Byron Chourio (0.1)

Total Value: 59.40

Any way you slice it, the Twins received an excellent haul for a player that may never have higher trade value in Arraez. I would give this deal an A+ for the front office, especially considering they managed to swoop in and re-sign Carlos Correa to play shortstop. They're a right-handed power hitter (Luke Voit) and a couple quality relievers (Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin) away from threatening 95-wins this season.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Camden wrote:I figured I'd check in on this side of the board. Hopefully, D'Angelo Russell isn't the main topic of conversation at all times over here too.

The Minnesota Twins traded infielder Luis Arraez for starting pitcher Pablo Lopez, shortstop prospect Jose Salas, and outfield prospect Byron Chourio.

My initial reaction when the trade was reported was that the details were mixed up and that it was Minnesota who would be sending additional prospects to Miami. That's how good I felt about this swap and getting back Lopez. If you recall, I mentioned him as a sneaky-good trade target a year or two ago so I'm stoked that he's now a member of this rotation. He's also under team control through 2024, which is a very big deal.

Instead, it's the Twins who received a top-100 prospect, depending on where you look, in Salas and the fifth-best player in their farm, as well as a 17-year old super athlete in Chourio. Love both of their upsides and I'm curious where Salas winds up in the Twins system. He might be a top-five guy right this second.

I love the value. I love that the Twins sold high on Arraez, especially considering he doesn't have a natural defensive position. He's a tremendous hitter, but with little power and plenty of quality infield depth at the major league level and high minors, moving him makes a lot of sense given the season he just had.

Take trade evaluators with a grain of salt, but Baseball Trade Values is typically useful for a quick reference on how players are viewed around the league and whether a hypothetical trade would make sense for both teams. They have the following trade as follows:

Minnesota:
- Luis Arraez (26.6)

Total Value: 26.6

Miami:
- Pablo Lopez (38.8 )
- Jose Salas (20.5)
- Byron Chourio (0.1)

Total Value: 59.40

Any way you slice it, the Twins received an excellent haul for a player that may never have higher trade value in Arraez. I would give this deal an A+ for the front office, especially considering they managed to swoop in and re-sign Carlos Correa to play shortstop. They're a right-handed power hitter (Luke Voit) and a couple quality relievers (Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin) away from threatening 95-wins this season.

I'm with you on this one Cam. Where do you think Lopez settles into the rotation? 3