Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Jester1534 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Twins involved in the Boston Dodgers trade today. Gave up Gaterol for Maeda .

I actually like this trade. The Twins view Gaterol as a relief pitcher so they get an above average starter for a good relief guy.

Im cool with this trade. I did think we could get a legit ace out of Gaterol but Im cool with this.

I hope this works out. I'm for this because I believe Wes Johnson is the best pitching coach in baseball.

Jose Berrios 2019 stats
3.68 ERA
195 Ks
51BB
3.85 Fip

Kenta Maeda career average stats
3.87 ERA
160 Ks
45 BB
3.71 FIP!!!

Last year he has a little bit of down year but his stats were still not that bad still had FIP under 4 and strikeouts were still up. Ultimately the Twins must think Graterol injury history will come back up or he's just a reliever.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

PorkChop wrote:Twins involved in the Boston Dodgers trade today. Gave up Gaterol for Maeda .

Maybe we can package him up into the Dlo trade :) lol
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

One last one For Bleed

Maddison Bumgarner 2019

3.90 Era
8.8 K/9
1.86 BB/9
.292 BABIP
3.90 FIP

Kenta Maeda 2019
4.04 Era
9.9 K/9
2.99 BB/9
.245 BABIP
3.95 FIP

If Maeda can gets his walk rate back down. The Twins basically traded for a pitcher putting up the same kind of numbers as 2019 version of Bumgarner. Instead of paying 4years 85 mil. There paying 4 years 12 mil.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:

I actually like this trade. The Twins view Gaterol as a relief pitcher so they get an above average starter for a good relief guy.

Im cool with this trade. I did think we could get a legit ace out of Gaterol but Im cool with this.

I was in shock because Graterol seemed like a really good prospect. I tend to agree with you that I think the Twins saw him as more of a reliever. Just looking at the stats what is the difference between Maeda and say...Zack Wheeler? To sign a guy like Wheeler they would have lost another draft pick right? Maeda Isn't going to get anyone super excited but he might be a guy that can help quite a bit all things considered. My brother said it was a 2nd rounder to sign Wheeler. So yeah not exactly equal but still giving up reasonably prospect value for either of those moves.

I keep thinking Ken Medema as this Pitcher's (Kenta Maeda) name...Ken Medema is a musician who I know mostly for his choral songs and arrangements. lol

Edit: Looks like you are already covered the idea I was getting at. =)
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

I was in shock because Graterol seemed like a really good prospect. I tend to agree with you that I think the Twins saw him as more of a reliever. Just looking at the stats what is the difference between Maeda and say...Zack Wheeler? To sign a guy like Wheeler they would have lost another draft pick right? Maeda Isn't going to get anyone super excited but he might be a guy that can help quite a bit all things considered. My brother said it was a 2nd rounder to sign Wheeler. So yeah not exactly equal but still giving up reasonably prospect value for either of those moves.

I keep thinking Ken Medema as this Pitcher's (Kenta Maeda) name...Ken Medema is a musician who I know mostly for his choral songs and arrangements. lol

Zach Wheeler
3.96 ERA
8.98 K/9
2.30 BB/9
3.16 BABIP
3.48 FIP

Kenta Maeda 2019
4.04 Era
9.9 K/9
2.99 BB/9
.245 BABIP
3.95 FIP

Wheeler is still a notch above Maeda and with him being young there still higher upside. His high Babip means he was unlucky last year. That's why I rated the tiers Cole/Strausburg then 1A was Wheeler.

This why I did the Bumgarner comparison. If you look at the numbers there pretty close. Basically the twins got Bumgarner esque pitcher for a guy they view as a reliever for the next 6 years who might flame out.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Zach Wheeler
3.96 ERA
8.98 K/9
2.30 BB/9
3.16 BABIP
3.48 FIP

Kenta Maeda 2019
4.04 Era
9.9 K/9
2.99 BB/9
.245 BABIP
3.95 FIP

Wheeler is still a notch above Maeda and with him being young there still higher upside. His high Babip means he was unlucky last year. That's why I rated the tiers Cole/Strausburg then 1A was Wheeler.

This why I did the Bumgarner comparison. If you look at the numbers there pretty close. Basically the twins got Bumgarner esque pitcher for a guy they view as a reliever for the next 6 years who might flame out.

Wheeler is 2 years younger. I'd genuinely like more info on why he is a notch about Maeda. How do we know that if Maeda actually pitches in the rotation all season instead of always throwing a few games out of the pen that he won't be better? Or maybe the fact that he has had success as a reliever adds to his value once you get into the postseason?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Here is another scenario where Maeda has value. Lets say he gets hurt and can't pitch for a whole season. The cost for the Twins for that year? 3.1 million. That's not much. Lets say he pitches 32 games and tosses 167 innings. That would mean with incentives he would get a little over 10 million. If he pitches enough innings to get all his bonuses to push it up another 1million because he tossed 200 innings...well hell you take that. Basically you have a cost controlled asset with built in protection for injury. If you had Wheeler or Madbum you are paying those guys a significant chunk of money the next few years regardless or injury or anything else. Every move has risk and rewards and Maeda's contract is pretty good in terms of mitigating risk. Heck if he sucks you could cut him and owe him not a ton of money. This also will make him a likely valueable trade asset if they ever wanted to move him.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I feel like this trade says as much about their outlook on Graterol as what they think of Maeda. Though Maeda does come with a great contract and has been productive.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Zach Wheeler
3.96 ERA
8.98 K/9
2.30 BB/9
3.16 BABIP
3.48 FIP

Kenta Maeda 2019
4.04 Era
9.9 K/9
2.99 BB/9
.245 BABIP
3.95 FIP

Wheeler is 2 years younger. I'd genuinely like more info on why he is a notch about Maeda. How do we know that if Maeda actually pitches in the rotation all season instead of always throwing a few games out of the pen that he won't be better? Or maybe the fact that he has had success as a reliever adds to his value once you get into the postseason?

Well I put alot in BABIP and FIP. Wheller in 2018 had a .282 BABIP and a 3.25 FIP to compare to someone who progressed into stud ace look at Max Schezer 27 year old season with the tigers. 3.27 FIP BABIP .317

Pretty comparable comp to where they are in the careers based on there repitores as pitchers. What your hopingis he takes the next step as 28 year old and posts a FIP of 2.74 llike Schezer did.

As for Madea there unkown if he would be better or worse if he threw more inning. My guess is he would be better. Go look at his reliver stats in the playoffs there super dominate. I was talking to a old scout friend today about the trade and we both agreed if Maeda was free agent this year he wouldve got 4 years 76+ Mil easily.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I feel like this trade says as much about their outlook on Graterol as what they think of Maeda. Though Maeda does come with a great contract and has been productive.

I completely agree the Twins feel like Graterol was going to be a top reliever at best. What if he throws out his shoulder again or has to go under the knife for tommy john again. Once he losses that 100 mph fastball how effective will he be. His swing and miss rate was only .24 in the minors. So for such a power arm he doesnt get a lot of swing and misses

Even if Maeda make the full amount which I think i heard on the Radio is 10 Million. This trade future proofs us for Odo departure after this year. We will still have Berrios Maeda and Pineda on the roster, with Duran and Jordy Blaze one year closer. This move also shows Twins are win Now mode as well.