Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:To rich for my liking.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28130356/yasmani-grandal-white-sox-agree-four-year-73m-deal

Interesting move for a rebuilding team to sign a 31-year old catcher.

The White Sox are a lot closer to being competitive than any of us are probably wanting to admit. They have some very solid pieces on the pitching staff as well as up and down that lineup. Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Jimenez, and now Grandal.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Camden0916 wrote:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28130356/yasmani-grandal-white-sox-agree-four-year-73m-deal

The White Sox are a lot closer to being competitive than any of us are probably wanting to admit. They have some very solid pieces on the pitching staff as well as up and down that lineup. Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Jimenez, and now Grandal.

Do they have a young catcher? I am not sure on paying a 31 year old catcher 18m a year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

Do they have a young catcher? I am not sure on paying a 31 year old catcher 18m a year.

My brother was surprised at the money too. I'm not. He got 16 million last year on a 1 year deal then went out and had a career year. Dude drew over 100 walks! Do I think he is worth that? Idk but I agree with Cam that the White Sox might be competitive because they do have some nice talent and adding a pretty good vet catcher seems like a solid move who else are they spending their money on right now? They are at 82 million at this point and they were 72-89 last year. That not terrible. I won't be shocked if Castro gets a few million somewhere. Would you rather spend 18 million on Gradal who would probably get a few million a year with his bat even if he just played OF or 1b? Unless something has changed catcher is a spot it's hard to find above average guys and even if Garndal slips he is still going to be above average at the plate.

Year 1 at 18M is not a problem, but 35 year old catcher is not good. I didn't know he had that many walks. That is a crazy number of walks. Did he get pitched around that much or just that good of an eye? It is crazy to think about what Garver would get on the open market.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Year 1 at 18M is not a problem, but 35 year old catcher is not good. I didn't know he had that many walks. That is a crazy number of walks. Did he get pitched around that much or just that good of an eye? It is crazy to think about what Garver would get on the open market.

White sox also have James McCann who is 29 and will make around 5 million in his last year of arbitration. They could keep him for this year and have a heck of a catching tandem or trade him for a nice return. Sure paying a catcher in their 30's is worrisome BUT some catchers are just fine playing into their mid 30's. Kirt Suzuki had his 3rd best OPS of his career at 35. Molina has been a. Good catcher for quite a while and maybe dropped off a bit at 37. Would you rather take a gamble that Grandal stays good for at least 2-3 years (Or even the whole contract) or have to have someone that might not even be as good as Jason Castro who the Twins signed for 8 million a year 3 years ago? Castro got hurt but year 1 and 3 he was probably easily worth the money and...the Twins made the playoffs those years! Contracts are going to keep going up. Castro at the same age/resume when the Twins signed him would probably get at least 9 million a year in this market. Hell he might get 6-9 million this offseason. It wouldn't shock me.

Well, I am fine with a division rival spending big money on a catcher. It is less money they could spend on starting pitching. He would have been the Twin's highest-paid player.

bleedspeed177 wrote:Well, I am fine with a division rival spending big money on a catcher. It is less money they could spend on starting pitching. He would have been the Twin's highest-paid player.

Hopefully your last point is only true for a couple more weeks at most. I'm really hoping for a Zack Wheeler signing followed by some other moves to boost the ceiling of this team. There are plenty of ways the leadership can go, but an obvious emphasis has to be put on starting pitching followed by corner infielder, and then a fourth outfielder and backup catcher are also needed.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Well, I am fine with a division rival spending big money on a catcher. It is less money they could spend on starting pitching. He would have been the Twin's highest-paid player.

Hopefully your last point is only true for a couple more weeks at most. I'm really hoping for a Zack Wheeler signing followed by some other moves to boost the ceiling of this team. There are plenty of ways the leadership can go, but an obvious emphasis has to be put on starting pitching followed by corner infielder, and then a fourth outfielder and backup catcher are also needed.

Excatly what I been saying if they dont spend this offseason they never will. I will say I dont think the twins don't need a 4th outfielder I think Wade and Cave are just fine in that role. It will be interseting if Cave gets traded this offseason. Brining Odo back was the floor for this team lets see how high they go from there.

jester1534 wrote:
Camden wrote:

Excatly what I been saying if they dont spend this offseason they never will. I will say I dont think the twins don't need a 4th outfielder I think Wade and Cave are just fine in that role. It will be interseting if Cave gets traded this offseason. Brining Odo back was the floor for this team lets see how high they go from there.

I'm personally not a Jake Cave fan and his atrocious performance in the post-season didn't help. I think there are much better veteran options that either are available right now or could make themselves available this winter.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:
jester1534 wrote:
Camden wrote:

I'm personally not a Jake Cave fan and his atrocious performance in the post-season didn't help. I think there are much better veteran options that either are available right now or could make themselves available this winter.

If the twins do end up trading Rosario away. I'm real big on bringing Alex Gordon in ona one year deal. Even though the bat isnt there consitently anymore, hes still a gold glove caliber left fielder on defense.