Jim Mora playoffs thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: Jim Mora playoffs thread

Post by FNG »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:
FNG wrote:Tim, I'm pretty sure you were kidding about the Thunder tanking (the wink emoji is the giveaway)...I'm projecting them to finish in a 3-way tie with the Mavs and Lakers with 40 wins...two of those teams will make the playoffs. SGA's sprained ankle seems legit.

But you're right...there could be a lot of movement in your KOM tonight, and the Wolves could end the night in 4th place and home court advantage...wow! I'm in Tucson and considering driving up to Phoenix for tonight's game, but waiting for the resale prices to come down a little...I think the return of Durant will keep this one out of my price range :-( .

I live in Prescott and was thinking the same thing. I think I'll go for a splurge on a Wolves Suns game 3 instead ;)

Ha, good choice Phenom...and you might just get that chance when the Suns return home down 2-0!

I'm supposed to be flying home today to take my Little (in the Big Brother program) to the Lakers game Friday, but his mama was concerned that I had some Covid symptoms this week (even though I tested negative a few times), so I transferred the tickets to him and am staying in Tucson. I'm not paying $200 for upper deck tonight (must be a lot of demand with Durant returning) so I guess I'll be watching on TV.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Memphis resting everyone besides Ja against the clippers
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:Memphis resting everyone besides Ja against the clippers

I'm available if they need someone so Ja isn't just playing 1 on 5.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

monsterpile wrote:

Kawhi is out due to personal reasons. Ja vs Marcus morris 1v1
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

The Wolves are still in the driver's seat for a top 6 seed. The KOM has four teams tied for the 4th seed at 43-39. With the exception of the Suns, the Wolves will hold the 2 and 3 way tiebreakers. It's kind of like musical chairs -- whichever team blinks will find itself in the play-in at #7. Here is a quick synopsis:

Wolves: They should go 4-1, and I wouldn't concede the expected loss at Brooklyn. The challenge will be beating the Lakers tomorrow night, and then closing it out when the Pelicans come into town for the final game of the season. We'll know the importance of that game when it gets here.

Suns: They are in the best position to rack up a couple anti-klunkers, and are obviously playing better with Durant back. Look for them to take sole possession of the 4th seed pretty quickly. They host Denver twice over this final stretch, but I suspect Denver will be resting a few players...

Warriors: They only have two potential anti-klunkers, at Denver and at Sacramento. In both cases, it looks like the home team will have no reason to throw the game in front of their hometown crowd. I don't see the Warriors winning either of those games, let alone both.

Clippers: The George-less Clippers have three potential anti-klunkers, so could sneak up a game or two. But I don't see them beating a full strength Memphis team again. Their game at the Pelicans will be interesting, having ramifications for both teams. They finish at Phoenix, so the Suns could be resting players if the game doesn't matter for them. They also have to beat the Lakers at home.

Of course, it's all moot if the Wolves don't take care of business. And they will be in really good shape if they go 5-0. There is a chance they falter and wind up in the play-in, but considering they hold so many tie-breakers, they would likely host that first play-in game.

The Wolves are in way better shape than we thought they would be with the Hornets loss after the all-star break. Looking at the schedule, it really looked grim. Kudos to the team for putting together some really good wins on the road. Let's keep it up!
FNG

Post by FNG »

Excellent analysis, Tim...very similar to the analysis I gave to kekgeek in the GDT last night. The only difference in our forecasts is I have the Suns winning their two home games against Denver...even if Denver isn't resting players. That would leave the Wolves in a 3-way tie for 5th, and we hold the tiebreaker. If everyone holds serve, we start out on the road against the Suns. Not ideal...a win last night might have given us home court in the 4/5.

Anyway, things are still a lot brighter than they were a couple weeks ago.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

The miserable part of the schedule is over. All remaining games are "winnable". Three home games and two road games. The playoffs essentially start now and we have home court advantage for the remainder of the regular season.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:

I'd volunteer but then Ja would be playing 1 vs 6/7!
FNG

Post by FNG »

2 days ago we were looking at home court in the playoffs. And after this loss, it looks like we may be headed to the play in against OkC. Our best chance now is to steal a game Tuesday in Brooklyn. If we can do that, I have us in a 5-way tie for 5th with an uncertain tie-breaker (although it may be favorable for us).

So there it is. With just 4 games left, we're going to finish 9th, or 5th. Can't get much weirder. Sure would have been easier if we had showed up tonight in the second half.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Dallas loses again, hard to see many scenarios at this point where we miss the play in all together