Matteo Spagnolo

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: Matteo Spagnolo

Post by FNG »

lipoli390 wrote:
SameOldNudityDrew wrote:Thanks for the find monster.

Not blown away by Spagnolo, but that opening shot of Bologna makes me want to go to Italy again (it's not too far from us here in Germany, so it's a common vacation spot for people who know German food is pedestrian at best--other than their baked breads and pastries).

Seriously, if you guys ever have a chance to visit Europe, check out Italy. Great food. Good wine. Laid-back lifestyle. Historic architecture. You've got ancient Roman stuff all over the place, plus all the Renaissance art. Mountains (the Dolomites!), beautiful Alpine lakes, the Mediterranean coast. Fashion and interior decorating are really stylish, if that's your thing. Seriously, everybody thinks the French are the most stylish people around, but it's really the Italians. And ah, the food! Viva l'Italia! Avoid the really crowded tourist attractions though.

I love Italy! We have a family connection there. Great food and great people. And of course, great history - the cradle of Western Civilization.

Much more interesting topic than Spagnolo...thanks for teeing it up, Drew!

Italy is indeed a fascinating country. One thing I find interesting- even though Italy is a relatively small country...23rd in the world with only 60 million people...I would argue that it contains more well-known cities than any other country. Think about it: Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence, Milan, Bologna, Naples, Verona, Genoa, Pisa, Pompeii!
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Timberwolves' stash Matteo Spagnolo(
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Not sure why the Wolves even bother scouting European players. Is any NBA franchise worse at evaluating European prospects? I noticed that Spag's shooting stats are worse this year than last. He's regressing. And that pretty, especially based on what I saw watching him play in Summer League. His shot looked terrible, but worse yet he seemed a step and a half too slow even by Summer League standards.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:Not sure why the Wolves even bother scouting European players. Is any NBA franchise worse at evaluating European prospects? I noticed that Spag's shooting stats are worse this year than last. He's regressing. And that pretty, especially based on what I saw watching him play in Summer League. His shot looked terrible, but worse yet he seemed a step and a half too slow even by Summer League standards.

Spagnolo my post didn't post
10+ points in 7 consecutive games, 20+ points in his last 3 games.
He's living at the FT line, averaging 7.5 FTA in his last 6 games. 1/2

He ended his last 3 games with:
23 points (8/11 FG, 1/1 3P, 6/8 FT), 5 assists
23 points (8/13 FG, 2/3 3P, 5/6 FT), 4 assists
20 points (5/8 FG, 1/1 3P, 9/9 FT), 7 assists
2/2
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Not sure why the Wolves even bother scouting European players. Is any NBA franchise worse at evaluating European prospects? I noticed that Spag's shooting stats are worse this year than last. He's regressing. And that pretty, especially based on what I saw watching him play in Summer League. His shot looked terrible, but worse yet he seemed a step and a half too slow even by Summer League standards.

2/2

Yeah, I saw a tweet recently that he has been playing very well the last 7 games or so.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

60WinTim wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

2/2

Yeah, I saw a tweet recently that he has been playing very well the last 7 games or so.

He probably never plays for the wolves but he is playing well this last month or so. So wanted to give him his props
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

2/2

He probably never plays for the wolves but he is playing well this last month or so. So wanted to give him his props

I'm not like super optimistic about Spagnolo but I'm still hoping he can be something in the future on an NBA roster. I think I've said this before but I see him more as a young guy going through the minor leagues in baseball. This season he moved up to a supposedly more competitive league let's say AA from A and yeah those shooting stats are not good but he is still pretty young for that level. Maybe this last stretch of games is a sign he is figuring it out or maybe it's just a hot stretch. He turned 20 in January so he is still pretty young and he is a bigger guard so even if he isn't wildly athletic having size helps. He does look like he is playing plenty of PG and despite his struggles he is getting plenty of minutes which doesn't always happen in Europe for guys that young. He might be doing some good things we aren't seeing. What will he look like 3 years from now at the age of 23? Or 25? He isn't the biggest guy but he also looks like someone that might fill out a bit and be stronger. I'm not betting on him figuring it out but it's still early. Not every college player this age looks like they are gonna be an NBA player either. The good news is that he is not taking up a roster spot or any salary. Picking another international player than can develop elsewhere might be a smart idea this coming draft too depending on who is available and what is likely to happen with some of the Wolves FAs.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Not sure why the Wolves even bother scouting European players. Is any NBA franchise worse at evaluating European prospects? I noticed that Spag's shooting stats are worse this year than last. He's regressing. And that pretty, especially based on what I saw watching him play in Summer League. His shot looked terrible, but worse yet he seemed a step and a half too slow even by Summer League standards.
kekgeek1 wrote:

2/2

OK. Now I see what you were getting at. Those stats are certainly encouraging. His FTAs are particularly encouraging. Who knows, maybe the Wolves finally found their Euro gem.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

kekgeek1 wrote:

2/2

OK. Now I see what you were getting at. Those stats are certainly encouraging. His FTAs are particularly encouraging. Who knows, maybe the Wolves finally found their Euro gem.

Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic would like to have a word with you, Lipoli.

kek, can you give us an update on our African stash Targuy Ngombo? Thanks in advance.
Monster

Post by Monster »

mrhockey89 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

2/2

Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic would like to have a word with you, Lipoli.

kek, can you give us an update on our African stash Targuy Ngombo? Thanks in advance.

I'd be pretty happy if Spagnolo had an NBA career as good Bjelica.