Wolves Horizon Beyond the 2022-23 Season

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Wolves Horizon Beyond the 2022-23 Season

Post by Monster »

I'll add something that has been talked about on this team for many years...elite 3 point shooting.

One way the Wolves could help some of the deficiencies of their roster is if they added an elite shooter. It could be a Kyle Korver JJ reduce guy that's mostly moving without the ball and just getting up shots and creating gravity of others. Beasley filled this role for a couple seasons but he was streaky. I thought Forbes was gonna help this year but I was wrong on that one. This type of guy is why I liked that they added Matt Ryan who just looks like a guy that can get the ball up from anywhere and quickly. He might not be an NBA player but some good NBA shooters weren't exactly supposed to be...NBA players.

Of course what would be really awesome is if we got a guy that was more of a combo guard who can create for himself and or others. Seth Curry does all the things and even doesn't suck on D. He was undrafted and could have been signed by pretty much any team multiple times.

The Wolves done have much in terms of a draft pick to get a shooter. A late round pick just simply finding a guy that is even an NBA player is a win. Still there are lots of ways to find shooting. It's not easy to do but it's possible. The Wolves need to find more of it this offseason.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

McLaughlin might be the league's best #3 PG... but it's very probably over his head to expect him to start 20+ games. And given Conley's history, that's what this team should expect next season.

Why not keep him as the #3?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:Im all for moving on another PG. Connelly's draft history with guards gives me a bit of optimism. Its been the need on this team for a while. In moving forward I hope this team keeps Naz and Prince. I really like both of them and what they bring for a change of flavor with our starters.

Id be fine with letting JMac, Nowell, Knight, Rivers (though i bet hed reup for the min) all go.

I'm a big fan of both Prince and Naz. My issue with Prince is his inability to stay healthy. On the other hand, he's locked up for next year at a very reasonable $7.6 million so I'd be reluctant to let him go or trade him unless we package him for something really needle-moving in return. Naz will be a free agent after this season. He might be hard to keep at a reasonable price, especially if another team is in a position to offer him an opportunity to start, which he won't get here behind KAT and Rudy. I'd definitely re-sign Naz if we trade Rudy, which is what I'd like to see. But it's unlikely TC trades Rudy, which probably makes it harder to keep Naz. I'd still like to keep him if we can sign him to a reasonable deal even if Rudy stays. Naz is a valuable asset in my view. He's a valuable player for us on the court and he's also one of the few guys on our roster with good trade value other than the players we shouldn't or likely wouldn't consider trading (Edwards, Jaden, KAT, Anderson, Prince, Anderson). The fact that we didn't trade Naz by last month's trade deadline tells me TC wants to re-sign him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:Im all for moving on another PG. Connelly's draft history with guards gives me a bit of optimism. Its been the need on this team for a while. In moving forward I hope this team keeps Naz and Prince. I really like both of them and what they bring for a change of flavor with our starters.

Id be fine with letting JMac, Nowell, Knight, Rivers (though i bet hed reup for the min) all go.

I'm a big fan of both Prince and Naz. My issue with Prince is his inability to stay healthy. On the other hand, he's locked up for next year at a very reasonable $7.6 million so I'd be reluctant to let him go or trade him unless we package him for something really needle-moving in return. Naz will be a free agent after this season. He might be hard to keep at a reasonable price, especially if another team is in a position to offer him an opportunity to start, which he won't get here behind KAT and Rudy. I'd definitely re-sign Naz if we trade Rudy, which is what I'd like to see. But it's unlikely TC trades Rudy, which probably makes it harder to keep Naz. I'd still like to keep him if we can sign him to a reasonable deal even if Rudy stays. Naz is a valuable asset in my view. He's a valuable player for us on the court and he's also one of the few guys on our roster with good trade value other than the players we shouldn't or likely wouldn't consider trading (Edwards, Jaden, KAT, Anderson, Prince, Anderson). The fact that we didn't trade Naz by last month's trade deadline tells me TC wants to re-sign him.

I agree with this post. The reporting was that Naz and the Wolves were looking at an exemption and it sounded like reasonable numbers. As Good as Naz has been I think other teams see what we have seen that Naz while a good player isn't a starter now. He is a guy that has improved each season but as a center who can't remotely anchor a defense that's a problem. I think if the rest of the team was good defensively Naz could actually be good enough as a bench guy to keep things going. Part of the problem of the pot defense when he plays for the Wolves is I don't think the Wolves play well around him...which again he isn't a guy that can help a defense be better but I think he can be a better cog than he has been. People keep making the point that the Wolves have plenty of talented bigs so they don't need all of them. You know there has been some good teams over the years that didn't stop them from continuing to add or keep those guys. I'm addition keeping Naz as an asset he would also be another salary to match in a deal. The Wolves need some players like that. There is always the faint chance of a sign and trade.

Lip I agree Prince shouldn't be moved unless it brings real value back. Im not opposed to dealing him but if the Wolves do move him they potentially leave a big hole at backup SF and 3 point shooting and all around competence from that position. I'd also guess that Prince has some real trade value especially at his price on an expiring contract.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:McLaughlin might be the league's best #3 PG... but it's very probably over his head to expect him to start 20+ games. And given Conley's history, that's what this team should expect next season.

Why not keep him as the #3?

Hard to disagree with that. Right now the problem I worry about more than McLaughlin starting 20+ games is what/who would be playing those minutes behind him? Anderson has covered up missing McLaughlin a chunk of this season but Anderson misses some games too. Currently it would be NAW and that's a mixed bag but so are all the other options including Nowell (if healthy), Rivers who does no harm and plays D but who knows if he will hit any of the few shots he takes. It seems clear they aren't gonna play Moore this season unless forced to. The reality is the wolves need to upgrade their guard play overall going forward. Rivers had a nice stretch for a while this season but came crashing back down and I wonder if he is not healthy now. Nowell...man...and Forbes got cut. NAW who knows although I think despite his flaws probably has helped more since the trade than some of the other options even if they were healthy. That's not exactly a high bar.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Respectfully, we might be re-entering familiar territory with Jordan McLaughlin (again). Remember when some here wanted him to start earlier this season? All hail the... Ah, well, you get the point.

He's not quite the hometown hero and fan favorite that Tyus Jones still is, but he's the same archetype -- and even more limited. He's the ultimate underdog given his undrafted status and below average physical profile, and who doesn't love that? I understand why he's beloved by the fans, but let's not overrate what he is, which is what I think this board does too often.

McLaughlin is a caretaker of the basketball, which is good, but that's also a byproduct of his inability to score and therefore inability to consistently create for others. To his credit and his demise, he gets off the ball quickly. He's a ball-mover and pace setter. He plays with good energy and largely knows where and when to be. That's basically it. Some may prefer that type of player, but others (like myself) will want their guard to make more plays with the basketball. And if he's not going to make plays with the rock, then he at least needs to be a threat to score without it. McLaughlin isn't that either, which is evident by his horrid perimeter shooting.

Simply, Minnesota can (and should) upgrade that spot in the rotation. Keep McLaughlin around in that third point guard spot, sure, but he's simply not good enough moving forward.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:Respectfully, we might be re-entering familiar territory with Jordan McLaughlin (again). Remember when some here wanted him to start earlier this season? All hail the... Ah, well, you get the point.

He's not quite the hometown hero and fan favorite that Tyus Jones still is, but he's the same archetype -- and even more limited. He's the ultimate underdog given his undrafted status and below average physical profile, and who doesn't love that? I understand why he's beloved by the fans, but let's not overrate what he is, which is what I think this board does too often.

McLaughlin is a caretaker of the basketball, which is good, but that's also a byproduct of his inability to score and therefore inability to consistently create for others. To his credit and his demise, he gets off the ball quickly. He's a ball-mover and pace setter. He plays with good energy and largely knows where and when to be. That's basically it. Some may prefer that type of player, but others (like myself) will want their guard to make more plays with the basketball. And if he's not going to make plays with the rock, then he at least needs to be a threat to score without it. McLaughlin isn't that either, which is evident by his horrid perimeter shooting.

Simply, Minnesota can (and should) upgrade that spot in the rotation. Keep McLaughlin around in that third point guard spot, sure, but he's simply not good enough moving forward.

I don't know if we can even use Tyus Jones as his caretaker comp anymore. He now has 19 starts this season...

17 points
4 reb
8 assists
33 minutes.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:Respectfully, we might be re-entering familiar territory with Jordan McLaughlin (again). Remember when some here wanted him to start earlier this season? All hail the... Ah, well, you get the point.

I'm not sure what territory you are talking about. Since my post about him I think maybe one person may have suggested he is still a sure backup PG.

Also he does create for others as he averages over 7 assists a game per 36 despite having a really low usage.

I know you are great at looking up all those advanced stat numbers to show how good or not good a player is. Let's see them for McLaughlin! :)
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I dont look at Naz as a 3rd Center. I like what Dane Moore said in his last podcast, hes more like a scoring 6th man. When he has it, it gives us a huge lift off the bench. He played pretty damn good with Kat and Rudy last night too. He gives us huge versatility. Hes just a defensive liability, which is fine if there are defenders on the 2nd unit.

On Jmac im with Cam, the dude has got to shoot better if he wants a regular job in the NBA.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:I dont look at Naz as a 3rd Center. I like what Dane Moore said in his last podcast, hes more like a scoring 6th man. When he has it, it gives us a huge lift off the bench. He played pretty damn good with Kat and Rudy last night too. He gives us huge versatility. Hes just a defensive liability, which is fine if there are defenders on the 2nd unit.

On Jmac im with Cam, the dude has got to shoot better if he wants a regular job in the NBA.

That's a good way to view Naz, Doper. We've seen Naz playing some minutes lately alongside Rudy. My take is that Naz is better defensively when he's guarding more on the perimeter than when playing center and guarding the paint. I like viewing him as a scoring 6th or 7th man. But I also see him as a PF more than a center. So he can pair with Rudy or KAT.