Philadelphia tankers

General NBA News
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Philadelphia tankers

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Lots of talk about how both Simmons and Embiid are healthy enough to be playing right now, but the Sixers are in tank mode to get the second most ping pong balls. They have been doing this for years now, but poor drafting and injury bad luck has continued to leave them hapless. But might they finally be positioned to be something special in a few years? They appear to be solid up front with Embiid, Saric, Simmons and Okafor, but they lack good guard play. But with almost a certainty of having two of the top five picks this year in a PG-heavy draft, that need should be well taken care of. And they are well set with picks the next two years too, assuming their youth leaves them as a lottery team for a couple years and also having Sacramento's unprotected pick in 2019.

I know that Philly has the ability to screw up anything, but you have to admit they have the potential to be really good in 4-5 years. The Wolves and the Sixers have been two of the worst franchises in the NBA the past decade, but it's not preposterous to see them battling each other for a championship in 5 years.
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Philadelphia tankers

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

longstrangetrip wrote:Lots of talk about how both Simmons and Embiid are healthy enough to be playing right now, but the Sixers are in tank mode to get the second most ping pong balls. They have been doing this for years now, but poor drafting and injury bad luck has continued to leave them hapless. But might they finally be positioned to be something special in a few years? They appear to be solid up front with Embiid, Saric, Simmons and Okafor, but they lack good guard play. But with almost a certainty of having two of the top five picks this year in a PG-heavy draft, that need should be well taken care of. And they are well set with picks the next two years too, assuming their youth leaves them as a lottery team for a couple years and also having Sacramento's unprotected pick in 2019.

I know that Philly has the ability to screw up anything, but you have to admit they have the potential to be really good in 4-5 years. The Wolves and the Sixers have been two of the worst franchises in the NBA the past decade, but it's not preposterous to see them battling each other for a championship in 5 years.

Yes. There's been a bit of talk already about Sam Hinkle being proven correct.

The thing is the Colangelos have had a much more spotty track record of "losing" trades already. And I still will never condone deliberately losing games while still charging legit money for fans to watch.

One important note... Philadelphia shouldn't be grouped with Minnesota for ineptitude over the past decade. They made the playoffs 4 times. And their TERRIBLE seasons look to be limited to only 4 seasons. The abject tanking/rebuild didn't start until the 2014 season.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

The Colangelos attempting to steal a draft pick?!? Unpossible! That would be breaking a commandment. You know, between the Sixers tanking, the 2001 Diamondbacks using more chemicals than an oil Frack, and their love affair with noted wife-beaters Kidd and AHardaway, I am starting to think this "Evangelical" thing is just a facade.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Yeah, you can't really compare our two franchises in terms of sustained failure. We absolutely take that "honor".

That being said, even in our years of perpetual rebuilding, we were at least a very competitive squad here and there (I'm thinking most specifically about 2013-14 with Love, et al). I think what makes Philly a little different is that they were literally at rock bottom for like three consecutive years. While we've been middling to bad longer, we were never THAT bad THAT long.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:Yeah, you can't really compare our two franchises in terms of sustained failure. We absolutely take that "honor".

That being said, even in our years of perpetual rebuilding, we were at least a very competitive squad here and there (I'm thinking most specifically about 2013-14 with Love, et al). I think what makes Philly a little different is that they were literally at rock bottom for like three consecutive years. While we've been middling to bad longer, we were never THAT bad THAT long.

Depends what metrics you use... a three year stretch? No.

But the Wolves finished with 58 - 67 wins over a 4-year stretch with a 32 - 132 record over two seasons thrown into the mix... before bottoming out again... with a 16 - 66 campaign. Minnesota has 3 seasons with fewer than 18 wins. Philly has only one.
Monster

Post by Monster »

With the Sixers recent history of guys that have been injured and out a lot...If they are being careful that's fine. The other thing is they guys that are sitting the Sixer have talented young players to play instead. They get to play saric and Okafor and some of their other solid players to see what they have in them. 4-6 in their last 10 games certainly isn't worthy of all out tank mode. I like the Noel trade for them.