Clippers v Wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KiwiMatt

Re: Clippers v Wolves

Post by KiwiMatt »

On another note I would like to see NAW get all of Austin Rivers minutes going forward. Just offers a lot more in all areas. He was a great pick up in the trade and has really helped with our backcourt depth. I just wish we had bought out Rivers and signed Pat Bev.

Also how sweet was that last play with Edwards to Slo Mo to Gobert for the dunk. That was a beautiful play and the dagger.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I rewatched the 2nd half. Our team D was as good as Ive seen all year. Gobert still makes every offensive player go two feet out from where they want to go when they get in his orbit. You could see it multiple possessions with George and Leonard. Then when they would finally break free Jaden was back on them. Those two are really developing some nice chemistry down low. I also loved what NAW brought tonight. Such a tough gritty win. If we can defend with that intensity and stay healthy the rest of the way I think we will be a playoff team for sure. The question mark is always consistency and health with this team this year, but tonight was super promising.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

How many teams play .500 ball missing their best player for 40 games?
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

PorkChop wrote:How many teams play .500 ball missing their best player for 40 games?

I think it's an accomplishment - no doubt. The issue with most of us though is that we feel we should be better than that based on how many games we lost to bad teams. If they took care of business against those teams, I think all of us would be much happier with this year's team. But to your point - it is what it is and they are still hanging around for a possible play off berth. Let's see how it plays out. IF they get into the playoffs, I feel most will be OK with this year - regardless of how they got there.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Huge win last night. Past my bedtime, so I missed the game. But I'll watch the recording.

Looking at the box score, it appears that the Wolves played really well defensively, holding the Clippers to 101 points. I'd be interested to know how much of that was our defense and how much was poor play/bad shooting by the Clippers.

I few individual players stood out to me based on the box score:

1. Jaden McDaniels' numbers were really impressive. I'm assuming he played his usual stellar defense. The box score shows that he also gave us 20 efficient points and 6 rebounds. I think he was a plus 4. That's really encouraging. I still believe he can become Ant's Scottie Pippen down the road.

2. Ant shot poorly (33% from the field) and once again he turned the ball over too much (4 turnovers). But it looks like he helped in other ways as he's ended up a plus 8. I noticed he had 3 steals and 2 blocks, so I'm guessing he was energized defensively.

3. I noticed that Kyle Anderson had 10 rebounds. He was a minus 5 I think, but I'll take his 10 boards for a team that typically gets out-rebounded.

4. NAW's stats don't jump off the page, but I noticed he played 17 minutes and was a plus 7. I'm assuming he must have played pretty well.

Everyone else on the Wolves, except Rivers, looked solid from the box score. Again, huge win that keeps the Wolves in the running, especially with the Lakers, Mavs, Jazz and Thunder losing.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

KiwiMatt wrote:It is clear we aren't as good offensively without DLO. But that is off set by how much better defensively we have become.

It was a good win, assuredly, but the bolded here is not at all supported by available data. The Timberwolves have been worse overall and a net negative on the court, and will need more collective performances like last night down the final stretch if they're going to make the play-in tournament. I'm just not sure how often they're going to get 20-point outings from Jaden McDaniels to save the day.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:Huge win last night. Past my bedtime, so I missed the game. But I'll watch the recording.

Looking at the box score, it appears that the Wolves played really well defensively, holding the Clippers to 101 points. I'd be interested to know how much of that was our defense and how much was poor play/bad shooting by the Clippers.

1. Jaden McDaniels' numbers were really impressive. I'm assuming he played his usual stellar defense. The box score shows that he also gave us 20 efficient points and 6 rebounds. I think he was a plus 4. That's really encouraging. I still believe he can become Ant's Scottie Pippen down the road.

2. Ant shot poorly (33% from the field) and once again he turned the ball over too much (4 turnovers). But it looks like he helped in other ways as he's ended up a plus 8. I noticed he had 3 steals and 2 blocks, so I'm guessing he was energized defensively.

3. I noticed that Kyle Anderson had 10 rebounds. He was a minus 5 I think, but I'll take his 10 boards for a team that typically gets out-rebounded.

4. NAW's stats don't jump off the page, but I noticed he played 17 minutes and was a plus 7. I'm assuming he must have played pretty well.

Everyone else on the Wolves, except Rivers, looked solid from the box score. Again, huge win that keeps the Wolves in the running, especially with the Lakers, Mavs, Jazz and Thunder losing.

Just a general recap before you watch. Outside of the 1st Q thought defense was special, forced the clippers to so many jumpers and the clippers did not attack Rudy. Then the wolves finished the possession well. In the 4th. Ant and Mcdaniels put the clamps on PG and Kawhi and Russ tried to win the game for the clippers and he failed badly.

Mcdaniels was special tonight, when his 2 dribble pull up jumper falls for him. He is hard to stop.

Anderson was trash for 3 Q, didn't think he should be playing in the 4th (Prince and Naw were good) but slow Mo proved me wrong and was fantastic in the 4th

Clippers tried to play Gobert off the floor in the 2nd going small and for one of the few times this year Gobert punished the small lineup and lue was forced to go big the rest of the way.

Ant was not good but he played within himself and made 2 key passes late

Bench was productive. Best minutes from Jmac since returning. NAW, Prince, Naz all productive again.

Conley offense is still rough but he did a lot of little things tonight.

How the wolves played yesterday is why we loved last year team. Need to keep it up though. You can tell Ant is so tired
FNG

Post by FNG »

It was past my bedtime too, Lip, but I watched the replay this morning...don't miss this one!

You just can't overstate the importance of this win. The Clippers are very good and deep, and I'm pretty sure we have never beaten them when both Kawhi and PG were playing. And even more impressive, we did it without KAT and with Ant missing 12 out of 18 shots and turning it over 4 times again. We need Ant to be more careful with the ball and get his shooting mojo back.

But yeah, he was a team-leading +8, and that's all about his defense...he was nothing short of extraordinary last night. The elite on-ball defense of Jaden and Ant on the perimeter (SVG praised both of them often last night) paired with the elite paint defense of Rudy and the steady presence of either Prince or SloMo, allows Conley to be disruptive guarding whomever is left over. The Clippers average 113 PPG (and I suspect much more than that when both PG and Kawhi are healthy...as well as everyone else), so to hold them to 101 points is a testament to what this defense can be. And I don't think our D will drop off when KAT returns. We could easily have a top 5 defense by the time the playoffs start.

One of the keys to this team is creating a big advantage on points in the paint. Rudy's presence is a big factor in limiting paint points on defense, and we also seem to be a very good team in the paint offensively. The gap last night was huge, and needs to continue. Creating high percentage shots while limiting the opponent's hight percentage is a great prescription for playoff success.

Although he didn't have a great game overall, it was nice to have Taurean back...we're a much better team with him available.

Nice contributions from NAW last night. I know the board is excited about him, but for me the jury is still way out. While he has had some 3-point success, I don't like his shooting form. He looks like a low 30% 3-point shooter to me, and what makes it worse is he wants to be a high volume guy...not so much last night, but he took 22 shots in 45 minutes the two previous games, and only made 9 of them. I like his athleticism, but he is a guy who will need a lot of coaching and discipline to maximize his contribution.

Outstanding win last night...let's complete the LA sweep Friday night against the LeBron-less Lakers!
cheech49311 [enjin:19716513]

Post by cheech49311 [enjin:19716513] »

Dudes, I was in the house. It's fun being one of Wolves fans talking shit to the very weak clips fans. Very nice people but they are not hoops fans. JMc's Defense is incredible. And to see his offense is great. I think he just needs more confidence amongst the rest of the squad. KAT did not wear his whack ass jacket too so that's good. It leads to wins. And I'm glad I bet on our boys to win. I'm just pissed that we loss to Shit and beat the good ones
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Huge win last night. Past my bedtime, so I missed the game. But I'll watch the recording. Looking at the box score a few things stand out.

First, holding the Clippers to 101 points suggests the Wolves must have played really well defensively. I'd be interested to know how much of that was our defense and how much was poor play/bad shooting by the Clippers.

Second, Jaden McDaniels' numbers were really impressive. I'm assuming he played his usual stellar defense. The box score shows that he also gave us 20 efficient points and 6 rebounds. I think he was a plus 4. That's really encouraging. I still believe he can become Ant's Scottie Pippen down the road.

Third, Ant shot poorly and once again turned the ball over too much. But it looks like he helped in other ways as he's ended up a plus 8. I noticed he had 3 steals and 2 blocks, so I'm guessing he was energized defensively.

Fourth, I noticed that Kyle Anderson had 10 rebounds. He was a minus 5 I think, but I'll take his 5 boards for a team that typically gets out-rebounded.

Fifth, Naz Reid's
kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Huge win last night. Past my bedtime, so I missed the game. But I'll watch the recording.

Just a general recap before you watch. Outside of the 1st Q thought defense was special, forced the clippers to so many jumpers and the clippers did not attack Rudy. Then the wolves finished the possession well. In the 4th. Ant and Mcdaniels put the clamps on PG and Kawhi and Russ tried to win the game for the clippers and he failed badly.

Mcdaniels was special tonight, when his 2 dribble pull up jumper falls for him. He is hard to stop.

Anderson was trash for 3 Q, didn't think he should be playing in the 4th (Prince and Naw were good) but slow Mo proved me wrong and was fantastic in the 4th

Clippers tried to play Gobert off the floor in the 2nd going small and for one of the few times this year Gobert punished the small lineup and lue was forced to go big the rest of the way.

Ant was not good but he played within himself and made 2 key passes late

Bench was productive. Best minutes from Jmac since returning. NAW, Prince, Naz all productive again.

Conley offense is still rough but he did a lot of little things tonight.

How the wolves played yesterday is why we loved last year team. Need to keep it up though. You can tell Ant is so tired

Thanks, Kek! I'm about to watch.