Conley Trade

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: Conley Trade

Post by FNG »

After the Wolves had their first two post-trade practices, Conley said they worked mostly on defense in the practices. He said making a defense work cohesively after a change in personnel can be challenging, but that they came a long way during the practices. And I think we have seen it in the past week. For the first time since KAT went down (a loooong time ago), the Wolves have held opponents under 110 points three games in a row. With two elite wing defenders, a dominant inside presence, and some savvy veterans, we knew this roster had the potential to be something special defensively, and it's starting to come to fruition. Tonight is going to be a challenge against the highest scoring team in the league, but I like what I'm seeing. Adding KAT to the mix will certainly jump start our offense, but I also like the strides he made on defense last year...we could be even better on defense once he returns.
FNG

Post by FNG »

While we wait for Carlos to update the VORP data, here's another way to compare the impact Conley/NAW have had on the Wolves compared to DLo (per cleaning the glass):

Conley/NAW: On/off +21.9, expected wins +51

DLo: On/off: -5.1, expected wins -13

A 64 improvement in expected wins and 27 point improvement in on/off (obviously slanted by the very small sample size, but still impossible to ignore) has to have TC smiling broadly about his trade! That's how you go 3-1 on the road against 3 likely playoff teams.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I do like how Conley's been taking care of the ball pretty well, I have to say. I wish we'd give the ball to him to orchestrate a pick-n-roll with Rudy on those possessions when we've given Rudy the ball and expected him to create on his own or passed it to him on a cut when he still needs to take a long stride to get to the basket. I know Rudy's scored actually somewhat well in a couple of those situations recently, and I appreciate that he seems to know to kick it out to shooters and not try to force things too much when he's outside of 6 feet or so, but trying to score in those positions is just not his strength. Rudy's great at finishing lobs and good dunking it if you get him the ball in his breadbasket down low, which is most likely if you run a pick and roll with him, and Conley should be able to do that better than anyone.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Re-Grading 2023 NBA Trade Deadline's Biggest Deals 1 Month Later

Bleacher Report NBA Staff wrote:

Timberwolves: D-

Whenever you can trade a (then-)26-year-old playing some of the best basketball of his career for a 35-year-old, all in the name of optimizing a 30-year-old center you overpaid to acquire in the offseason, you absolutely have to do it.

Except you don't.

DLo's impending free agency must be factored into this return. If the Wolves believed he was on his way out or flat-out didn't want to bankroll his next contract, they had little leverage and were smart to get something, anything, for his services.

That doesn't make this a good deal. It is overcorrection to last summer's overcorrection, when Minnesota moved heaven and earth and the rest of the universe to land Rudy Gobert. This move also came at a time when the team was rolling. It has been without Karl-Anthony Towns for most of the year, but it posted a 14-7 record while hovering around the top 10 in both offense and defense from Jan. 1 to the trade deadline.

Since moving DLo, though, the Wolves are 4-5 and rank outside the top 16 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Conley has, as expected, acted like connective tissue and is draining 38.3 percent of his triples. But his 10.6 points and 4.9 assists per game don't come close to supplanting DLo's production, and the Minnesota offense lands in the 35th percentile when he soaks up time beside Gobert and Anthony Edwards.

Some level of judgment should be reserved until Towns rejoins the rotation. But the Wolves weren't setting the world on fire at the time of his injury. His return could merely complicate an already convoluted product at the most critical juncture of the season.

Worse, there's no guarantee Minnesota improved its outlook beyond this year by effectively swapping DLo for Conley, 15ish minutes per game of Nickeil Alexander-Walker and seconds. For now, this trade looks like a potential dud--one threatening to derail a team that seemed like it was on to something at the time of its completion.

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10067534-re-grading-2023-nba-trade-deadlines-biggest-deals-1-month-later
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Great! You found something on the internet that fits your narrative. Good for you.

As for me, I have no regrets whatsoever, and truly believe that trade enables the Wolves to reach greater heights this year and next than the could have with Dlo.

60WinTim wrote:Great! You found something on the internet that fits your narrative. Good for you.

As for me, I have no regrets whatsoever, and truly believe that trade enables the Wolves to reach greater heights this year and next than the could have with Dlo.

Or I'm sharing reasonable analysis from an outsider's perspective -- outside of this particular bubble. It's not just me who sees that trade for what it was, though I'm certainly in the minority here. We can continue to agree to disagree, but there's little to support the narrative that Minnesota is better post-trade, and more that supports they've been worse.

Your optimism is noted, however. I could never take that away from you and I wish I shared it.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

60WinTim wrote:Great! You found something on the internet that fits your narrative. Good for you.

That's what he does.

I'd say 95% of us could give a fuck about what some Bleacher reporter says about a past player. But Cam is going to beat this dead horse until he convinces himself whatever he's insecure about. Mr. "I Always Offer Complete Analysis", is more famous for being Mr. "This One Nugget Proves me Right".

CoolBreeze44 wrote:

That's what he does.

I'd say 95% of us could give a fuck about what some Bleacher reporter says about a past player. But Cam is going to beat this dead horse until he convinces himself whatever he's insecure about. Mr. "I Always Offer Complete Analysis", is more famous for being Mr. "This One Nugget Proves me Right".

You created this thread in large part to prematurely give Tim Connelly massive kudos or credit for this trade. You called it a "fleecing" in favor of Minnesota. Discussion ensued.

Now you're triggered by me sharing an article that opines otherwise -- that it was a potential dud and hasn't resulted in better basketball for the Timberwolves. We share articles and other forms of media here routinely. It's common for this forum.

Rather than respond with some sort of analytical or anecdotal rebuttal you chose to offer insults out of left field. The fragility is outstanding. Napoleon complex, perhaps? Figure it out.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

That's what he does.

You created this thread in large part to prematurely give Tim Connelly massive kudos or credit for this trade. You called it a "fleecing" in favor of Minnesota. Discussion ensued.

Now you're triggered by me sharing an article that opines otherwise -- that it was a potential dud and hasn't resulted in better basketball for the Timberwolves. We share articles and other forms of media here routinely. It's common for this forum.

Rather than respond with some sort of analytical or anecdotal rebuttal you chose to offer insults out of left field. The fragility is outstanding. Napoleon complex, perhaps? Figure it out.

I'm hardly "triggered". I just don't like to miss an opportunity to call you out for being the most anal person I've ever dealt with. And for the record, it was a fleecing. Remove Conley entirely and it was still a fleecing.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Camden wrote:Re-Grading 2023 NBA Trade Deadline's Biggest Deals 1 Month Later

Bleacher Report NBA Staff wrote:

Timberwolves: D-

Whenever you can trade a (then-)26-year-old playing some of the best basketball of his career for a 35-year-old, all in the name of optimizing a 30-year-old center you overpaid to acquire in the offseason, you absolutely have to do it.

Except you don't.

DLo's impending free agency must be factored into this return. If the Wolves believed he was on his way out or flat-out didn't want to bankroll his next contract, they had little leverage and were smart to get something, anything, for his services.

That doesn't make this a good deal. It is overcorrection to last summer's overcorrection, when Minnesota moved heaven and earth and the rest of the universe to land Rudy Gobert. This move also came at a time when the team was rolling. It has been without Karl-Anthony Towns for most of the year, but it posted a 14-7 record while hovering around the top 10 in both offense and defense from Jan. 1 to the trade deadline.

Since moving DLo, though, the Wolves are 4-5 and rank outside the top 16 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Conley has, as expected, acted like connective tissue and is draining 38.3 percent of his triples. But his 10.6 points and 4.9 assists per game don't come close to supplanting DLo's production, and the Minnesota offense lands in the 35th percentile when he soaks up time beside Gobert and Anthony Edwards.

Some level of judgment should be reserved until Towns rejoins the rotation. But the Wolves weren't setting the world on fire at the time of his injury. His return could merely complicate an already convoluted product at the most critical juncture of the season.

Worse, there's no guarantee Minnesota improved its outlook beyond this year by effectively swapping DLo for Conley, 15ish minutes per game of Nickeil Alexander-Walker and seconds. For now, this trade looks like a potential dud--one threatening to derail a team that seemed like it was on to something at the time of its completion.

Link: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10067534-re-grading-2023-nba-trade-deadlines-biggest-deals-1-month-later

Ha, c'mon Cam, that's a terrible, click bait article. Dlo wasn't coming back next season, and TC got a terrific return on that expiring contract. I still love Dlo as a player and wish him well... but there's just no denying it was good value.