Fire sale 2018!!!!

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Fire sale 2018!!!!

Post by Monster »

Well the Twins are officially sellers. We know the guys that are on the block. I sorta don't feel that excited about the returns for anyone that will likely be available. I'm not suggesting that we won't end up with useful players/prospects but idk it doesn't feel like the guys we have are bigtime guys.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they kepts Rodney for another year. His salary is pretty reasonable and he doesn't show any signs of slowing down at this point just seems to start slow. What direction do the Twins go at this point? Next year they could just start going very young with the young guys and they will have a lot of payroll flexibility. It will be kinda interesting to see what happens. I'm probably somewhat down on the process because a lot of the guys that will be made available I really like. Oh well.
Jester1534

Re: Fire sale 2018!!!!

Post by Jester1534 »

Long as there name isn't Berrios Eddie or Eduardo there for sale. I also wonder if Joe gets moved to a contender I could see the Red Sox having a lot of interest. I've always said joe would bat .350 if he played for the Red Sox he would just pepper the green monster.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Jester1534 wrote:Long as there name isn't Berrios Eddie or Eduardo there for sale. I also wonder if Joe gets moved to a contender I could see the Red Sox having a lot of interest. I've always said joe would bat .350 if he played for the Red Sox he would just pepper the green monster.

Great point about Mauer...I agree that a lot of those flyouts to the warning track would be doubles in Fenway, and he would be an upgrade offensively and defensively over Moreland. The Red Sox are in a dogfight with the Yankees, and might be willing to pick up his remaining contract and give us a nice prospect. I would do it for the right return. Who knows...Joe might even decide to come back here next season at a discount, and that would really be a win for us.

Excobar is the most popular player on the team and has had a great season, but he would also give us the biggest return with his bat and defensive versatility. I love the guy but he's up for a big payday next season...I would let him go for the right return.

Other guys who will be offered up are Dozier, Lynn, Odorizzi and Rodney. I'm expecting a big fire sale, and hope we get some great prospects back.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:Long as there name isn't Berrios Eddie or Eduardo there for sale. I also wonder if Joe gets moved to a contender I could see the Red Sox having a lot of interest. I've always said joe would bat .350 if he played for the Red Sox he would just pepper the green monster.

Great point about Mauer...I agree that a lot of those flyouts to the warning track would be doubles in Fenway, and he would be an upgrade offensively and defensively over Moreland. The Red Sox are in a dogfight with the Yankees, and might be willing to pick up his remaining contract and give us a nice prospect. I would do it for the right return. Who knows...Joe might even decide to come back here next season at a discount, and that would really be a win for us.

Excobar is the most popular player on the team and has had a great season, but he would also give us the biggest return with his bat and defensive versatility. I love the guy but he's up for a big payday next season...I would let him go for the right return.

Other guys who will be offered up are Dozier, Lynn, Odorizzi and Rodney. I'm expecting a big fire sale, and hope we get some great prospects back.

I'd hope if we move Odorizzi we would get something pretty worthwhile back relatively speaking. He seems like a pretty solid pitcher and will be under team control for 1 more year. I don't see this team as one that's completely lacking talent (a lot of its injured etc) soypu can use a guy like that when you want to be good next year. It depends on the offers obviously.

Another consideration is some of these guys could bring back draft compensation if they signed elsewhere. It's always tricky to know what that would be but that is likely figured into the consideration of offers.

I think IF a team really wanted Mauer and Mauer was ok going to a playoff team (he has a no trade clause) money wouldn't hold back the deal from the Twins side.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Ten teams that must decide if it's time to start a full rebuild
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23999452/mlb-ten-teams-need-decide-now-start-full-rebuild

7. Minnesota Twins: In 2017, when the Twins made it to the wild-card game, Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton combined to be worth 5.8 wins above replacement (FanGraphs blend). In 2018, they've combined for minus-0.5 fWAR. Both of them are getting reps in the minors. That's bad, for both the present and the future, and to make matters worse, Brian Dozier is a pending free agent. So is Eduardo Escobar. So is Joe Mauer. Next year's Twins could look like a different team. With this year being shot, there's little reason not to explore the trade market. But!

The Twins play in the AL Central. It's likely that, next year, the Royals, White Sox and Tigers will again be bad. And while the Indians won't be bad, they're expected to lose the best arms out of their bullpen. So because of the divisional context, the Twins shouldn't want to take too far of a step back. They can benefit from a light slate of opponents again in 2019, and because of that, the front office should think more in terms of reloading than rebuilding. The division already has enough teams in rebuild mode.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

So will Erv Santana even play this year?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I guess this addresses it.

https://puckettspond.com/2018/07/08/minnesota-twins-assessing-future-ervin-santana/
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

6 pitchers not named Santana we could consider trading.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2018/07/wetmore-6-pitchers-twins-consider-trading-july/

I wouldn't trade Kyle Gibson or Jake Odorizzi unless there is a really good prospect available in return with ace upside. Both of these guys are rotation guys for me in 2019.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:6 pitchers not named Santana we could consider trading.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2018/07/wetmore-6-pitchers-twins-consider-trading-july/

I wouldn't trade Kyle Gibson or Jake Odorizzi unless there is a really good prospect available in return with ace upside. Both of these guys are rotation guys for me in 2019.

I'm with you bleed. Actually I'm not sure I trade any of those guys except maybe Duke unless you get something pretty decent back. This team projects to be plenty decent next year this likely isn't a true fire sale...

Also the Twins have had a nice little stretch here and Cleveland stumbling. How much closer would you need to get to not sell off these guys?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Nothing to report yet.

The Padres got a good catching prospect from Indians though for a pair of RP's. Brad Hand is actually from Chaska.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/after-adding-francisco-mejia-in-brad-hand-trade-padres-have-a-loaded-farm-system-that-should-pay-dividends-soon/