Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

The 2022 draft is behind us and I think it was a good one for the Wolves. So I thought this was a good time to start a thread devoted entirely to free agency and potential trades. D'Natagal asked in another thread whether Connelly is done making moves. That's a great question. In this thread, we can start exploring that question and delve into what Connelly might do while opining on what we think he should do.

I'll start by setting the table with the Wolves roster situation. Assuming the Wolves renounce their rights to Okogie and Layman, letting them walk, the Wolves will still have a nearly full roster (14 roster players) if they sign three of their four 2022 draft picks - unless the Wolves decline to pick up the options on Naz Reid and/or Jaylen Nowell. After signing the three rookies, the Wolves will have a total player payroll of $124,633,206. That means the Wolves will have one open roster spot and be about $18 million under the luxury tax threshold. If the Wolves re-sign Prince without trimming the roster elsewhere, they will have a full roster.

Here's the Wolves roster assuming the Wolves (1) let Okogie and Layman walk; (2) pick up the $1.93 million options on Reid and Nowell; and (3) sign three of their four draft picks:

1. DLO
2. Ant
3. McDaniels
4. Vando
5. KAT
6. Pay Bev
7. Beasley
8. Nowell
9. Bolmaro
10. Naz
11. JMac
12. Kessler
13. Moore
14. Minott
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I think you accurately laid out Minnesota's salary/roster situation, but it absolutely has to be mentioned that there's a decent chance Josh Minott is signed to a two-way deal, which means that the Timberwolves would have one additional roster spot to play with. Given Minott's raw talent and need for consistent minutes to develop, the G-League makes the most sense for him next year.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

As was mention previously, Minot seems like a prime candidate for a 2-way contract, so he would not take up a roster spot.

[Edit: n/m - Cam covered it! ]
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Even without signing anyone else that is probably 11-12 guys that could play non garbage time minutes for you next season. We aren't going to be playing more than 10 players in the main rotation. If Reid's minutes get reduced and if we don't give enough minutes to Nowell both could ask to be traded to better situations.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lip you didn't discuss the 2 way slots which are absolutely a part of the roster and what they do with those could effect whether the wolves have another roster spot.

I think we all expect the Wolves to keep Wright. If nothing else it makes even more sense because they didn't draft a PG type. Wright MIGHT even be part of why they didn't. Yeah sure that's a stretch but it's gonna be interesting to see him play in Vegas along with the rest of these guys.

The 2nd 2-way slot is up for grabs. Do they sign Minott to that spot? Do they sign someone an undrafted Rookie or another G-league player or someone that impresses in summer league? What if they keep Nathan Knight? I absolutely do not want to be a homer about him but we have talked about getting that guy that's maybe the next Hartenstein or whoever. Knight COULD be that guy. He isn't wildly experienced NBA player but he played plenty on college and was good enough that 2 teams that went to the playoffs played him and basically never sent him to the g-league. Now some of that probably was due to Covid but in one g-league game he was wildly productive. They could have a young lightly experienced guy on their roster that's been in their system for a year Oma 2-way deal. That might be a pretty good value. Having said that I also think it's maybe 50/50 at best that he is an NBA player. Still some FAs don't work out to be anywhere near as good as their are supposed to be.

I'll also say here I see Minott sort of the new Okogie as a guy that seems like a good dude so will play his butt off. Minott might never be as limitedly useful as Okogie is but of course if he becomes a guy that can defend his upside is higher because he likely will have a better chance of actually fill up the stat sheet with his length instead of Okogie just looking like he does.

I'm a big fan of Prince and I want him back but at this point I wonder if it's only for 1 year. I don't think it's going to cost a significant amount of money to bring him back and like I said where the Wolves at below the Lux tax they could just throw a nice 1 year deal at him that would be somewhat hard to turn down if there weren't any compelling offers. On the other hand if they can sign him to a multi year contract that looks like an incredible value then maybe you do that because then he could be a trade chip and sometimes you need that salary to make a deal happen. On the other hand Wendell Moore MIGHT be able to play a similar role to Prince sooner rather than later (not much smaller and prince doesn't play big) so...yeah idk. I guess I'm asking myself if the Wolves only have one roster spot open for a FA would I rather they kept Prince or signed a more experienced PF/C? That's a tough one honestly. Again I think some of that depends on how they feel about Knight. I tend to think the Wolves value him more than most on this board do but we don't know and we certainly don't know what Connelly and others he brought in think.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Kind of like Scott Lang, I just cannot stop thinking about these ideas:

1) The Spurs are apparently open to trading Murray, but 3 first round picks is part of the price.
2) The Knicks need a PG and their top priority is Brunson. They have been clearing cap space and accumulating first round picks to support that effort.
3) The Mavs want to keep Brunson.

Assuming Brunson stays in Dallas, what is the Knick's Plan B? Could Russell enter the picture? Or maybe they just make a play for Murray?

If the Knicks have a greater interest in Russell, it sure seems like a 3-way trade that begins with Russell to the Knicks, Murray to the Wolves, and picks to the Spurs makes sense. Plus whatever other pieces are needed/demanded to get the deal done.

Now I have another thing to dream about!
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I think Taurean Prince has to be re-signed, and if he's not, then there has to be a better player acquired via trade or free agency to replace him. We have no capable hybrid forward types on this roster and it was already an issue last season with Prince.
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote:Kind of like Scott Lang, I just cannot stop thinking about these ideas:

1) The Spurs are apparently open to trading Murray, but 3 first round picks is part of the price.
2) The Knicks need a PG and their top priority is Brunson. They have been clearing cap space and accumulating first round picks to support that effort.
3) The Mavs want to keep Brunson.

Assuming Brunson stays in Dallas, what is the Knick's Plan B? Could Russell enter the picture? Or maybe they just make a play for Murray?

If the Knicks have a greater interest in Russell, it sure seems like a 3-way trade that begins with Russell to the Knicks, Murray to the Wolves, and picks to the Spurs. Plus whatever other pieces are needed/demanded to get the deal done.

Now I have another thing to dream about!

Tim I think you laid out a path for Murray going to the Knicks. They have a bunch of draft picks after what they did in the draft. Meanwhile the Spurs tend to like getting back players that help them now and they will probably get someone like that if they do a deal with the Spurs like Burks or Rose or maybe even Fournier. I think if the Wolves were involved in a 3 way deal including Russell (or maybe Beasley could end up in the deal) it would be more likely to go to the Spurs than the Knicks. With the Spurs taking 3 draft picks it would be interesting to know how they view those guys. Also if they can get Tre Jones to be able to shoot they would have a pretty solid starting PG. Pretty much any other organization I would be like good luck but it's the Spurs so...lol
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

rapsuperstar31 wrote:Even without signing anyone else that is probably 11-12 guys that could play non garbage time minutes for you next season. We aren't going to be playing more than 10 players in the main rotation. If Reid's minutes get reduced and if we don't give enough minutes to Nowell both could ask to be traded to better situations.

I think you're right, rap. And that's why I don't think it matters much whether Minott is signed to a two-way deal or a regular deal. I think it's likely the Wolves bring back Prince. If the organization wants to bring in a new player or two to upgrade the rotation, then I don't see that happening without a trade. Simply signing Minott to a 2-way and using the one remaining roster spots to add a rotation big would push Naz or Vando out of the rotation. I don't think the organization will want to do that. Meanwhile, I could see the organization wanting to create a little more opportunity for Nowell, Bolmaro and now Moore at the guard or wing positions.

The Wolves could easily just bring back Prince and go into the season with the roster as is. It's actually a very solid, deep roster with a lot of young talent competing for playing time and likely to improve over last season. I don't think Connelly will do that, but it wouldn't shock me. So my view is Connelly and his front office team are setting themselves up to for a significant trade this summer. I'm sure they have lots of alternative ideas and scenarios.

When thinking about possible trades, I'm betting that Connelly has KAT and Ant as the only untouchables on the roster, but he probably also has McDaniels and Beverley as near-untouchables. The most likely candidates to get dealt in my view are: Naz Reid, Beasley and/or DLO. I think all three have significant trade value. They clearly have more trade value than anyone else on the Wolves roster not named Towns, Edwards, McDaniels or Beverley. I suspect that Bolmaro and Nowell also have trade value. I'm sure Connelly would deal either one or both if necessary to get the player or players he wants. I would also bet that all four of the Wolves draft picks will be on the table for the right deal, although I don't think Connelly is itching to trade any of them. I imagine Connelly will get more and more calls from front office executives interested in Beverley. I think it's unlikely the Wolves trade Beverley, but it's more likely that the possibility of trading McDaniels.

Lots of possibilities. The next couple months should be an interesting, fun ride.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Monster - Yes, the 2-way contracts are important. I agree that we should expect the Wolves to bring back McKinley Wright on a two-way deal. We should keep our eye on him. I think he could emerge as a really good rotation PG down the road. it will be interesting to see whether the Wolves give the other two-way slot to Nathan Knight again. I think that slot would be better used for Minott given how far he seems to be from being able to contribute. That would assure us one open roster spot in the event we re-sign Prince.

Speaking of Taurean Prince, I think it's important to bring him back. He played really well the second half of the season. He's a terrific veteran leader who is still in the prime of his career. As Cam noted, if we don't bring him back, then we'll have to backfill through free agency or a trade to get a quality rotation wing. We have a deep roster, but we're pretty thin at the SF position. We have a bevy of SGs in Edwards, Beasley, Beverley, Nowell, Bolmaro and Moore. Beverley can play the point and DLO can play SG. Prince and McDaniels were the only two true SFs on our roster last season - although both are often though of as PFs. That's one reason I wanted to the Wolves to draft Jalen Williams or Dalen Terry. I think we need to develop some depth at that position behind McDaniels for the long haul. As for next season, Prince is essential in my view.