Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by kekgeek »

Any interest in Cam Reddish? Reports are the Knicks are trying to cut more cap so they can sign Brunson. Rumors are they will trade Reddish or cut Taj. Taj is a thibs guy and got more minutes last year.

Reddish fits into the wolves trade exemption they got in the Prince Rubio trade last year. So any interest in Reddish?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kekgeek1 wrote:Any interest in Cam Reddish? Reports are the Knicks are trying to cut more cap so they can sign Brunson. Rumors are they will trade Reddish or cut Taj. Taj is a thibs guy and got more minutes last year.

Reddish fits into the wolves trade exemption they got in the Prince Rubio trade last year. So any interest in Reddish?

Short answer is no. Cam Reddish wouldn't deserve minutes in Minnesota either. With limited roster spots available, they should be looking elsewhere for talent that can help the team win now.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-was-here wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:Beasley and ?? for John Collins.

John Collins was the guy I wanted the Wolves to draft when they drafted Justin Patton instead. And he's proven me right by putting up terrific numbers since coming got the NBA. Yet, I don't want the Wolves to pursue him. There must be issues with Collins we don't know about. The Hawks have been shopping him for several years now, in spite of numbers that suggest he should be a guy they build around. Something seems strange here and I'd look elsewhere for Wolves trade targets.

Yup, you absolutely called John Collins Lip. You were also all over the low hanging fruit of Portis and Hartenstein before others nabbed them and they turned out to be extremely productive rotation bigs on the cheap.

It is odd how Collins' star has fallen a bit.

Thanks for the recognition, Q. And that's for leaving out all my misses - like Anthony Edwards and LaMello Ball, etc. :)

So not I'm going to put my hard-earned credibility on the line and make a pitch for signing Jalen Smith. We all get excited over college prospects leading up to the NBA draft each year based on reviews, physical data, limited college video clips and college stats. It's worth recalling that Smith had the sort of college stats that we'd all get excited about. He averaged 10.5 rebounds and 2.4 blocks and 15.5 points per game. He hit 53.8% of his FG attempts and nearly 37% of his 3-point attempts, albeit on limited volume. He has the mobility of a PF, but has the length of an NBA center with a 7'2" standing reach.

Those college numbers are a good staring place for a guy who still hasn't had a lot of NBA experience to get a full measure of him as an NBA player. He's been in the League only two seasons and he averaged only 5.8 minutes his first season. Looking at his 2nd NBA season when he averaged 18 minutes per game, you see a stat line that's consistent with his impressive stats as a college sophomore. He averaged 6 rebounds, 0.8 blocks and 9.2 points in those 18 minutes per game last season. On a 36-minute equivalent basis, that's 12 rebounds, 1.6 blocks and 18.4 points. Importantly, Jalen's stats improved with more minutes later in the season after he was traded to Indiana. In his 24.7 minutes per game with the Pacers, he averaged 7.6 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 13.4 points. And he hit 37.3% of his 3-point attempts on nearly 84 attempts in his 22 games there.

Watching video of him last season, you see a very mobile, fast and high-motor PF who can shoot and rebound. I don't think there's any question that the Wolves should pursue signing him as a free agent. The question is whether Indiana wants him back and how much it would cost to sign him. He made around $4 million last year. I have no sense of where his market value is right now. I'm sure it's more than $4 million per year. But does it go all the way up to $10.2M, which I believe to be the full MLE?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:Any interest in Cam Reddish? Reports are the Knicks are trying to cut more cap so they can sign Brunson. Rumors are they will trade Reddish or cut Taj. Taj is a thibs guy and got more minutes last year.

Short answer is no. Cam Reddish wouldn't deserve minutes in Minnesota either. With limited roster spots available, they should be looking elsewhere for talent that can help the team win now.

I agree just another name to throw out there
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Jalen Smith video from last season with Indiana. We we saw these clips from a college prospect we'd be excited about him. These clips are from the NBA. And he's barely 22 years old.

https://youtu.be/Dv0rjBw1A4s
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Lip, I'll join the Jalen Smith fan club. You've convinced me. And here's the deal on his contract that I learned after doing some digging. Because Phoenix didn't pick up his 3rd year of his rookie deal, Indiana is not allowed to sign him to anything more than what he would have made on that deal! That means they can't offer him more than ~ $4.7M!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-was-here wrote:Lip, I'll join the Jalen Smith fan club. You've convinced me. And here's the deal on his contract that I learned after doing some digging. Because Phoenix didn't pick up his 3rd year of his rookie deal, Indiana is not allowed to sign him to anything more than what he would have made on that deal! That means they can't offer him more than ~ $4.7M!

Wow, Q! That's encouraging. That means we're not competing with Indiana to sign Smith. I'll need to get on my Wolf phone to Connelly and turn him loose in pursuit of Jalen. We all saw how well the Wolf phone worked for me in draft last week. :)
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

lipoli390 wrote:

John Collins was the guy I wanted the Wolves to draft when they drafted Justin Patton instead. And he's proven me right by putting up terrific numbers since coming got the NBA. Yet, I don't want the Wolves to pursue him. There must be issues with Collins we don't know about. The Hawks have been shopping him for several years now, in spite of numbers that suggest he should be a guy they build around. Something seems strange here and I'd look elsewhere for Wolves trade targets.

Issues worse than Beasley?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Yes. Beasley acted like an idiot in the moment and paid the price for it. There's never been anything about him being a bad teammate, not working hard or not being coachable. I have no idea what if any issues there are with John Collins. He was once suspended for violating the League's drug policy. But whatever his issues, they could certainly be a lot more problematic than Beasley's one incident.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

lipoli390 wrote:
thedoper wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Yes. Beasley acted like an idiot in the moment and paid the price for it. There's never been anything about him being a bad teammate, not working hard or not being coachable. I have no idea what if any issues there are with John Collins. He was once suspended for violating the League's drug policy. But whatever his issues, they could certainly be a lot more problematic than Beasley's one incident.

It also could just be that him and Trey dont get along. Who knows? They gave him the contract and they still havent dealt him which means they still value him. I still think he's an ideal 4 next to Kat. I really dislike our whole strategy being to make Kat a 4 and target guys bigger and slower than KAT. Just get a real 4.