Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q-was-here wrote:Do you guys think the Wolves front office would seriously make a run at Gobert? It would be a bold move no doubt and immediately catapult us into a potentially top 5 defensive unit assuming that DLO/Beasley are outgoing pieces. But man, that contract......And for someone that would likely be on the bench to close games since KAT would undoubtedly play Center and the opposing team would go 5-out small ball.

Good question, Q. If we believe what we've read recently in the media, the Wolves are at least "interesting in" acquiring Gobert. I have a hard time believing that's entirely inaccurate or fabricated. So I have to assume the answer to your question is yes. I'd like to believe the reports are inaccurate because I think it would be nuts for the Wolves to trade for him considering the assets we'd likely have to give up, the length and cost of his contract, his age and his limitations that you identified. Perhaps Connelly simply made a phone call to the Jazz out of curiosity.

I think the Wolves have genuine interest because they think the price might be right. Maybe Utah has legit interest in acquiring Russell or some other piece the Wolves are considering giving up. You just never know what a team may value. At some point maybe Memphis decides to move on from Gobert and Conely for the reasons you don't want the Wolves to acquire them and the package the Wolves give up to make it happen would be worth the risk. Do I think that happens? No. Should the Wolves keep checking in on one of the best defensive players in his era and quite frankly maybe of my lifetime? Yes. That doesn't mean they are gonna pull the trigger.

Some other things to consider.

Gobert has some incentives in his contract that could push the money higher every year.

About 14 million of Conely's final year salary is guaranteed.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Regarding potential trades with the Timberwolves, Jaden McDaniels is the player that "every team that begins negotiations with the Wolves would ask for."

The Wolves maintain they would only part with McDaniels for a star.

(via
@JonKrawczynski
, https://theathletic.com/3393151/2022/07/01/wolves-free-agency-towns/?source=user_shared_article...)

Do the Wolves consider Gobert a star? If so, would you want the Wolves to include McDaniels in a trade for Gobert? I think it would be idiotic.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:Regarding potential trades with the Timberwolves, Jaden McDaniels is the player that "every team that begins negotiations with the Wolves would ask for."

(via
@JonKrawczynski
, https://theathletic.com/3393151/2022/07/01/wolves-free-agency-towns/?source=user_shared_article...)

Do the Wolves consider Gobert a star? If so, would you want the Wolves to include McDaniels in a trade for Gobert? I think it would be idiotic.

Gobert is a star. I wouldn't deal McDaniels for him. I doubt the Wolves will either.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Regarding potential trades with the Timberwolves, Jaden McDaniels is the player that "every team that begins negotiations with the Wolves would ask for."

(via
@JonKrawczynski

Gobert is a star. I wouldn't deal McDaniels for him. I doubt the Wolves will either.

Man, Jaden has a LOT of expectations to live up to. I get why he is a coveted asset, but there is still a fairly significant gap between his potential and actual results. We better hope he starts closing that gap!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I don't know, monster. Dlo, Beasley and McDaniels for Conley and Gobert catapults this team to a whole new level for a couple years. Conley is a better fit at PG, IMO. Moving Beasley creates room for Nowell (and Edwards) at the 2. The lineups you can create with that new roster are pretty impressive.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-was-here wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

(via
@JonKrawczynski

Man, Jaden has a LOT of expectations to live up to. I get why he is a coveted asset, but there is still a fairly significant gap between his potential and actual results. We better hope he starts closing that gap!

Yes. A lot to live up to. But it's interesting that the rest of the League appears to covet him. There's a collective wisdom in play here that tells me McDaniels is a good bet. Recall how Finch raved about him last summer. And let's remember how young he is and keep in mind how long it often takes even some of the most talented players to begin showing that they're likely to reach their potential.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Yeah, I meant to point out Q's comment that McDaniels has not reached a high level, yet. He has only shown promise. And the timing of his next big contract could be problematic as well. I am sure these are all things the FO is taking into account.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

I do not want to part with McDaniels. His potential is key here.

I do not want to go after Gobert.

I would go after Ayton or Durant, with anything but KAT, ANT, McDaniels.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I'll add to my last comment the following thought. A number of folks have complained that the Wolves have done a poor job of developing players over the years. So I'll come back to a point I've made before that the keys to player development are opportunity and patience. The successful player development we've seen from organizations like the Spurs and Warriors hasn't resulted from some special wizard coaches on their payrolls. Those organizations have done a great job of identifying young talent and then they've done an equally terrific job of given their young talent the opportunity to play and showing patience as they developed. I agree that a culture of accountability is important. But there's something I'd call a culture of patience. The organizations that excel at player development have it. Kevin Looney is a great recent example of the Warriors culture of patience.

The Wolves have shown recent signs since the Rosas regime of adopting that culture of patience. I think they've shown it with Nowell and I believe it's about to pay off. They need to do the same with McDaniels, who came to the League younger and less experienced that Nowell. I want to see the same patience with Bolmaro, Kessler and Moore.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

60WinTim wrote:Yeah, I meant to point out Q's comment that McDaniels has not reached a high level, yet. He has only shown promise. And the timing of his next big contract could be problematic as well. I am sure these are all things the FO is taking into account.

For the optimists out there, go look at McDaniels' season splits last year. He did improve as the season went on, so that's a good sign.

It's just incredible to me, however, how this team seemingly has multiple guys start seasons every damn year struggling. Last year it was Beasley, McDaniels, Prince, and McLaughlin. Like four guys who were actively hurting the team early on and then - boom! - all four of them turned it around after a few months. Can we not have that happen again please!?