Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

Khobi Price: NEW -- The Orlando Magic aren't expected to tender a qualifying offer to Mo Bamba by the end of Wednesday, which will make him an unrestricted free agent on Thursday, a person with knowledge of the situation orlando sports. Raptors, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, Heat, Timberwolves to be interested. - via Twitter khobi_price

Add Mo Bamba to the list of unrestricted free-agent bigs the Wolves can consider pursuing. Here's a list of free agent bigs I think the Wolves should seriously consider:

1. Jalen Smith
2. Hartenstein
3. Mo Bamba
4. Andre Drummond
5. JaVale McGee
6. Montrezl Harrell
7. Biyombo

Here's my list of bigs to consider trading for:

1. Myles Turner
2. Steven Adams
3. Richaun Holmes
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lipoli390 wrote:Khobi Price: NEW -- The Orlando Magic aren't expected to tender a qualifying offer to Mo Bamba by the end of Wednesday, which will make him an unrestricted free agent on Thursday, a person with knowledge of the situation orlando sports. Raptors, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, Heat, Timberwolves to be interested. - via Twitter khobi_price

Add Mo Bamba to the list of unrestricted free-agent bigs the Wolves can consider pursuing. Here's a list of free agent bigs I think the Wolves should seriously consider:

1. Jalen Smith
2. Hartenstein
3. Mo Bamba
4. Andre Drummond
5. JaVale McGee
6. Montrezl Harrell
7. Biyombo

1. Myles Turner
2. Steven Adams
3. Richaun Holmes

If those are the names on the FA big list... I'm 100% on board with scrounging the scraps of other teams. Although Hartenstein's advanced stats impact are the most impressive.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Khobi Price: NEW -- The Orlando Magic aren't expected to tender a qualifying offer to Mo Bamba by the end of Wednesday, which will make him an unrestricted free agent on Thursday, a person with knowledge of the situation orlando sports. Raptors, Knicks, Lakers, Rockets, Heat, Timberwolves to be interested. - via Twitter khobi_price

1. Jalen Smith
2. Hartenstein
3. Mo Bamba
4. Andre Drummond
5. JaVale McGee
6. Montrezl Harrell
7. Biyombo

1. Myles Turner
2. Steven Adams
3. Richaun Holmes

If those are the names on the FA big list... I'm 100% on board with scrounging the scraps of other teams. Although Hartenstein's advanced stats impact are the most impressive.

It would be kinda hilarious if the Wolves ended up with Mo Bamba AND Walker Kessler on the roster after years of Rosas seemingly being allergic to adding another over 6'9" to the roster. Rosas deserves credit for a lot of good stuff he did but that was kind of a blind eye he had there. I'm not sure why Bamba would come here unless he basically was assured that for a year he was gonna be the starter next to Towns. I'm not sure what kind of money he will be offered now that he is a FA. Will any team offer more than the full mid-level? Will teams actually offer that much? Who is gonna trade for Myles Turner when some teams can now just sign Bamba? If you want some of those other guys on the list having Bamba as an unrestricted FA could mean another guy teams sign instead.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

1. Jalen Smith
2. Hartenstein
3. Mo Bamba
4. Andre Drummond
5. JaVale McGee
6. Montrezl Harrell
7. Biyombo

1. Myles Turner
2. Steven Adams
3. Richaun Holmes

It would be kinda hilarious if the Wolves ended up with Mo Bamba AND Walker Kessler on the roster after years of Rosas seemingly being allergic to adding another over 6'9" to the roster. Rosas deserves credit for a lot of good stuff he did but that was kind of a blind eye he had there. I'm not sure why Bamba would come here unless he basically was assured that for a year he was gonna be the starter next to Towns. I'm not sure what kind of money he will be offered now that he is a FA. Will any team offer more than the full mid-level? Will teams actually offer that much? Who is gonna trade for Myles Turner when some teams can now just sign Bamba? If you want some of those other guys on the list having Bamba as an unrestricted FA could mean another guy teams sign instead.

lol. Yep, that would be quite a directional change if we end up with Bamba and Walker.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Listening to the Dane Moore podcast today, a couple other things caught my attention in addition to his comments on Jaylen Nowell. Regarding, what the Wolves plan to do this July, he said "we'll continue to add two-way players or a game-changer if we can get one." That's almost a verbatim quote. Connelly talked about focusing on two-way players in the draft. Now we hear Finch stressing the same focus on adding players as free agents or via trades.

So what are some specific take-aways from these comments by Finch? I don't want to extrapolate too far, but I take his comments as further confirmation that the Wolves are likely to move Beasley this summer. Interestingly, Finch complemented Nowell's defense. Hmm. I also take his comments to suggest that it's highly unlikely the Wolves will pursue Andre Drummond as a free-agent big. Instead, it suggests that guys like Hartenstein and Jalen Smith would be more likely targets. Finchy's reference to looking for game-changers certainly explains and aligns with the reports of the Wolves showing interest in Dejounte Murray and Rudy Gobert. Maybe the Wolves will swoop in with a sign-and-trade deal for Brunson? Ok, never mind. :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

in the wake of the deal for Dejounte Murray and Finchy's reference to interest in getting a "game changer," it's worth discussion what we think the Wolves would be willing to give up for that sort of player.

Dejounte Murray would have been a game changer for this team -- a 25-year old PG who averaged 21 points, 9.2 assists, 8.3 rebounds and 2.0 steals last season. If that's not a game-changer, I don't know what is. But the Wolves obviously balked at giving up three future 1st-round picks and a pick swap along with Beasley or DLO to get him. I wonder what else the Wolves offered? Did they offer any of this year's 4 picks? Did they offer Bolmaro? How about McDaniels? We'll never know. But one thing for sure is that the Connelly isn't going to give up 3 future unprotected first-round picks even for a game-changer.

Now we're seeing reports of continuing Wolves interest in Rudy Gobert. He's arguably a game changer. But what will the Wolves be willing to give up and what would it take to get him? Unlike Dejounte's very team-friendly contract ($15-17 million for two more years), Gobert has 4 remaining years that ranges from the high $30s to nearly $50 million. So in addition to what the Wolves would have to give up to get him, they'd be saddled with a huge long-term contract that would limit the team's financial flexibility. But the reports are probably real, so it would be interesting to know now far the Wolves are willing to go and how many future picks, if any, the Wolves would will required and willing to give up for Rudy.

And what about Clint Capela? Do the Wolves consider him a "game-changer"? He's not what I'd call a two-way player. Are the Wolves still interested in him and, if so, what would they have to give up to get him? Is he worth what the Wolves would have to give up when there are free agent alternatives like Hartenstein, Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba, Andre Drummond and Serge Ibaka available?

Who are some other "game changers" who might be available via trade for the Wolves to pursue?
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolves have been mentioned as a possible destination for Ayton, along with Indiana. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040461-deandre-ayton-rumors-timberwolves-pacers-are-teams-to-watch-for-suns-rfa

DLO was mentioned as a likely trade piece for Ayton, with him perhaps then moved to a third team. I kind of view Ayton like Gobert as I would give up one FRP, DLO and some trimmings, but on the downside I am not crazy about having two max (or near max) big men. Ayton is young and talented, but is he going to be elite enough to justify the investment of a FRP and a max slot as opposed to just outright signing Mo Bamba or Hartenstein. Thoughts?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote:Wolves have been mentioned as a possible destination for Ayton, along with Indiana. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040461-deandre-ayton-rumors-timberwolves-pacers-are-teams-to-watch-for-suns-rfa

DLO was mentioned as a likely trade piece for Ayton, with him perhaps then moved to a third team. I kind of view Ayton like Gobert as I would give up one FRP, DLO and some trimmings, but on the downside I am not crazy about having two max (or near max) big men. Ayton is young and talented, but is he going to be elite enough to justify the investment of a FRP and a max slot as opposed to just outright signing Mo Bamba or Hartenstein. Thoughts?

That's interesting. Like you, I'm not crazy about having two max-contract big guys. But I do like Ayton. Nevertheless, I'm still more inclined to want the Wolves to sign Hartenstein or Jalen Smith. I'm also open to signing Mo Bamba.
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:Wolves have been mentioned as a possible destination for Ayton, along with Indiana. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040461-deandre-ayton-rumors-timberwolves-pacers-are-teams-to-watch-for-suns-rfa

That's interesting. Like you, I'm not crazy about having two max-contract big guys. But I do like Ayton. Nevertheless, I'm still more inclined to want the Wolves to sign Hartenstein or Jalen Smith. I'm also open to signing Mo Bamba.

I will be a little surprised if a team actually gives Ayton the max. If the do I'll be even more surprised if it's the Wolves. He is a good player just not worth that much money. Oma team without An offensive player like Towns next to him Ayton may have more offense to show yet but idk if it makes sense for him to come here and be more is a rim running big. So would I be interested in doing a sign and trade for him? Sure depending on the price both in terms of assets and his contract. Ayton right now is certainly better than Jalen Smith and Hartenstein who quite frankly we may find out 2 years from now are just bench players.

I think what's clear is the Wolves area calling around and maybe even making some legit offers to teams. Are they going to end up making a deal? Idk but they are probably calling up teams and be like so what's the best offer now? Maybe at some point a team says ok we are ready to deal and the Wolves get a guy for a price they can live with.

The BIG thing we can understand right now is the Wolves are definitely in on finding at least one legit NBA center to put next to Towns. They aren't gonna just find the next PJ Tucker to put next to him. They are going for legit size. This is a significant departure from what Rosas was doing. Will it be the right move? Idk but it's interesting. I also don't think they are going to completely abandon looking for small ball guys either because Minott certainly could fit that profile.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

The Minnesota Timberwolves tendered a Two-Way qualifying offer to Nathan Knight to make him a restricted free on July 1, a league source tells @spotrac.

Nate knight might be back