Kyle Anderson

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
thedoper

Re: Kyle Anderson

Post by thedoper »

I think Anderson is the kind of player the Wolves usually dont have. AK47 was too old and injured, Googs got pushed out too early. Anderson is a steady bigger guy that wont make many mistakes. I like that. I cant imagine that is it for our moves. If it is I would be really puzzled, but its nice to have a player that could literally fit onto any team.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote:
KiwiMatt wrote:The deeper you dig, the better this signing looks.

In 2020/21 season where Kyle Anderson mainly started and averaged 27 minutes these were his stats per game:

12.4 points
5.7 rebounds
3.6 assists
1.2 steals
0.8 blocks
.47 fg
.36 3pt fg (on almost 4 attempts per game)

You average those stats over per 36 mins and they look even better.

Kiwi, it's interesting that Kyle's best season was 2020/21, the season he started 69 games. Although I also note his best rebounding season was last year.

If you don't like how Kyle Anderson plays basketball, you don't like basketball. Sure, he's not exciting, but he's generally consistently effective. And getting PatBev's endorsement on twitter means a lot to me.

That said, I'm on the fence on this deal. I love Kyle's length and superb defense, but he's not an efficient scorer...in fact quite inefficient last season. I guess I was looking for a bigger splash from this new management team, but as others have said, that may still be coming. I'm going to reserve judgement until everything shakes out.

Anderson is a unique player. Sort of a one-of-one. Heck, the nickname sorta gives it away.

But he's played 8 seasons... and has been a plus player in all of them. Sure, his counting stats are meh. And his shooting efficiency is even worse. But he's been a valuable rotation guy year after year, even on multiple 50+ win teams. He did a lot of the little things that helped those teams win games. Sure seems like the type of auxiliary guy a team like the Wolves could use with star players already in place.

Whether it's legit or not, his DBPM has been excellent. He's a versatile defender... and offensive player. And he's always had a good VORP. Plus, $9M per year is what he was making previously. It's fine. The signing is fine.

In fact, he seems exactly the type of player in the margins that good teams add to the mix. He knows what he's doing. He knows how to play basketball. And that's a welcome change from what we've seen from this organization as recently as a couple of years ago.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

Interesting take by Hollinger.
https://theathletic.com/3394521/2022/07/01/2022-nba-free-agency-sixers/

Thumbs up: Kyle Anderson to the Timberwolves (two years, $18 million)

Hats off to Minnesota for what was hands down the best deal of the first day. Anderson's BORD$ value is more than double the annual value of this contract, and there's a good reason for that. While he's not much of a shooter, "Slo-Mo" is a plus in nearly every other category, and especially as a defender.

That's the valuation side, but the fit is even more of a win. Anderson can clog the offense when paired with other non-shooters, but playing next to the league's best-shooting center and three guards who can let it rip from deep, he should be a major plus with his loping slashes to the cup. Anderson is also a major upgrade for a team that struggled on defense last season and lacked quality at both forward spots.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

TheGrey08 wrote:Interesting take by Hollinger.

Hats off to Minnesota for what was hands down the best deal of the first day. Anderson's BORD$ value is more than double the annual value of this contract, and there's a good reason for that. While he's not much of a shooter, "Slo-Mo" is a plus in nearly every other category, and especially as a defender.

That's the valuation side, but the fit is even more of a win. Anderson can clog the offense when paired with other non-shooters, but playing next to the league's best-shooting center and three guards who can let it rip from deep, he should be a major plus with his loping slashes to the cup. Anderson is also a major upgrade for a team that struggled on defense last season and lacked quality at both forward spots.

I'm not the biggest Hollinger fan but he has loved the wolves offseason. He has Minott as his #10 player on his board and we got him at #45
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Bill Simmons names the timberwolves his day 1 winner of free agency with the signing of Kyle Anderson and resigning Prince.

It is seeming like the national media people are loving the wolves moves
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

kekgeek1 wrote:

I'm not the biggest Hollinger fan but he has loved the wolves offseason. He has Minott as his #10 player on his board and we got him at #45

Having Josh Minott that high on his board is honestly laughable. John Hollinger also had Danny Green as his eighth-best free agent last year with a BORD$ (Big Ol' Rating Dollars) value over $19-million -- over both DeMar DeRozan and Norman Powell among others.

I have nothing against Kyle Anderson or the terms of his deal, but I wouldn't take Hollinger's model or analysis very seriously.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Having Josh Minott that high on his board is honestly laughable. John Hollinger also had Danny Green as his eighth-best free agent last year with a BORD$ (Big Ol' Rating Dollars) value over $19-million -- over both DeMar DeRozan and Norman Powell among others.

I have nothing against Kyle Anderson or the terms of his deal, but I wouldn't take Hollinger's model or analysis very seriously.

That is why I said I don't love Hollinger. Minott is such a advance analytical stand out by small sample size and having him at 10 is laughable

60WinTim wrote:Ben Stinar
@BenStinar
·
9h
Donovan Mitchell pulled up to D'Angelo Russell's camp here in Louisville

I didn't know where to post this, but I remembered you mentioned D-Lo's camp. Taurean Prince showed up in Louisville today. Doesn't necessarily matter, but it's more good vibes.
Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947]

Post by Mr. Brightside [enjin:16464947] »

Camden wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:Definitely a precursor to a trade for a C.

My guess is that they are in on Gobert and both DLo and Beasley will be part of the package headed to Utah.

Bev and Ant take care of ballhandling duties and initiation of offense. McDaniels starts at the 3. Anderson and a mixture of Nowell and McLaughlin initiate for 2nd unit.

That's really problematic. I know we don't think that it is right now because of how poorly the Grizzlies series played out, but neither of those two are capable of consistently orchestrating a highly-functional offense, especially late in games. Add Jordan McLaughlin to that equation as well.

Patrick Beverley is very limited in what he can do as a facilitator off the bounce. He's more of a secondary playmaker at his best, and has been for the large majority of his career. And at this stage of his development, Anthony Edwards' first, second, and third-highest priorities are to score the basketball. Consistently creating shots for his teammates and developing the court vision required is going to take more time/seasoning. He's not quite ready to be the de facto offensive centerpiece in the mold of James Harden or Luka Doncic, nor should that be the expectation as a 21-year old. And McLaughlin presents weaknesses of his own -- mainly as a scorer as opposing defenses don't respect his ability to put the ball in the hoop. These three are all quality players, but it would be irresponsible to go into the season thinking that they're enough. Minnesota was already somewhat weak in this regard last season. Losing D'Angelo Russell without some other quality replacement coming back just isn't going to cut it.

Right on the player. Wrong on the package to get him.

Kyle Anderson makes a lot more sense now. That signing would have been disappointing, in my opinion, if Minnesota didn't add a legitimate big this off-season. Now the Timberwolves are the biggest team in the league with above average size at every position. This season should be fun.