Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Let's talk about the rest of the season, shall we? Minnesota has needs that should be addressed during the season if they're going to challenge for a top-six seed and/or make some noise in the post-season. The Wolves trio of Karl-Anthony Towns, D'Angelo Russell, and Anthony Edwards have proved to be formidable against nearly everyone they've competed against thus far. They've also received consistent and practically irreplaceable contributions from Patrick Beverley and Jarred Vanderbilt to this point. Simply put, those five have played winning basketball more often than not.

What Minnesota lacks is a sufficient bench that can steady the tide if not grow the lead. Far too often this season the starters have outperformed their opponent's starters only for the second unit to cough up the lead or allow the opponent back into the game. It's rare that the second unit performs well enough that they get Minnesota back into a game they were trailing in. What was once thought to be a strength for this team has become a weakness -- depth.

This is where Sachin Gupta and the front office need to focus on improvement. Acquiring Ben Simmons -- the big fish -- only improves this team marginally, in my opinion, once you account for the cost and the additional problems created. Not to mention, the depth would prove to be an even bigger and insurmountable issue. Instead they should be focused on adding quality role players that can alleviate pressure on the little-big three. Specifically, the Wolves need at least one two-way wing -- preferably a hybrid forward with lineup versatility, another ball-hander to assist the second unit and provide insurance for when starters miss games, and a center with size and strength. Available options that fit these parameters are scarce, but there are some that are gettable.

Here's what I would like to see in some fashion:

1. Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant

~ Be aggressive on the trade front and acquire a highly-coveted piece before the deadline. Both Barnes and Grant are likely to be available. If the price is a salary-matching player, a first-round pick, and an intriguing young talent on his rookie deal -- or less -- then make the deal. Either forward would prove to be worth it on this team for the present and future. Compare this to the Aaron Gordon trade last year.

2. Robert Covington or Thaddeus Young

~ Nabbing a low-cost veteran could prove to be beneficial for Minnesota who desperately needs competent role players. The simple aspects of knowing where to be, knowing what to do, and being aware of the game situation are lost on this young team. Experience can't be replicated and the Wolves need more of it. I expect both Covington and Young to be very available in the nearing weeks if they aren't already being shopped. I'd expect salary-matching player(s) plus two second-round picks to be the going rate for a veteran on an expiring deal. Compare this to the Evan Fournier trade last year.

3. Alex Len or Robin Lopez

~ Frankly, the Wolves need a banger on the interior. Minnesota needs a space-eater that can not only go toe-to-toe with the larger, stronger centers in the league, but they need someone that just occupies real estate in the painted area. They need a large human being that can simply throw his body around doing the dirty work on the glass that Karl-Anthony Towns refuses to do, and Naz Reid unfortunately cannot do. Greg Monroe looked like a possible fit, but luxury tax concerns were deemed too problematic to retain him. Both Len and Lopez are low-cost targets that should be acquired for no more than an expiring or a second-round pick as compensation.

These would be the moves I have in mind if I was sitting in Gupta's seat. Minnesota has a competitive core that doesn't need to be separated at this time, but they do have some deck furniture that needs to be shuffled. The bench is inadequate as it stands now. There are avenues to improving it should the Wolves be aggressive enough to do so. I certainly hope they don't sit on their hands and do nothing even though I can understand the logic in that. I just think it would be deflating in a way for the key three to not receive any outside help down the stretch.

Re: Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Ideal/Realistic Scenario:

Minnesota: Harrison Barnes
Sacramento: Malik Beasley, Jaden McDaniels, Josh Okogie, 2022 first-round pick

Minnesota: Robert Covington
Portland: Taurean Prince, 2022 second-round pick, 2025 second-round pick

Minnesota: Robin Lopez
Orlando: Jake Layman, 2022 second-round pick

1: D'Angelo Russell / Patrick Beverley
2: Anthony Edwards / Jaylen Nowell
3: Harrison Barnes
4: Jarred Vanderbilt / Robert Covington
5: Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid / Robin Lopez

1: Patrick Beverley
2: D'Angelo Russell / Jaylen Nowell
3: Anthony Edwards / Harrison Barnes
4: Jarred Vanderbilt / Robert Covington
5: Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid / Robin Lopez

It's far more likely that the Wolves don't make a transaction, but I think they'd rise to the top-six in the Western Conference after these moves while staying under the luxury tax threshold, which appears to be mandated from all ownership parties. The main assets spent were obviously McDaniels and this year's first-round pick. I suppose it's up for debate whether or not you would be prepared to pay to get better.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Love those deals Cam. I agree, we need to take steps to get better basketball players on the floor. I am just not as enamored with McDaniels as some are, so trading him is a net positive IMO. I see the potential, but his consistency....or lack thereof...is painful. If you are going to be a 1 trick pony, you need to be reliable in that skill game to game.

In main trade above, I think I prefer Barnes over Grant. Both are very different players and offer some aspects I really like. In the end, I see Barnes as a player better suited to play that combo-forward role with his size and heft. Also, he is simply the more efficient player out of the two, and I believe he perhaps is easier to slot into lineup. That said, Grant offers some athleticism and defensive potential that Barnes can't offer.

Great thoughts.

Hicks123 wrote:Love those deals Cam. I agree, we need to take steps to get better basketball players on the floor. I am just not as enamored with McDaniels as some are, so trading him is a net positive IMO. I see the potential, but his consistency....or lack thereof...is painful. If you are going to be a 1 trick pony, you need to be reliable in that skill game to game.

In main trade above, I think I prefer Barnes over Grant. Both are very different players and offer some aspects I really like. In the end, I see Barnes as a player better suited to play that combo-forward role with his size and heft. Also, he is simply the more efficient player out of the two, and I believe he perhaps is easier to slot into lineup. That said, Grant offers some athleticism and defensive potential that Barnes can't offer.

Great thoughts.

Agreed on all points, Hicks. This team really just needs competency around their key players. Minnesota shouldn't be entering every game not knowing what they're going to get from 6-10 of the rotation every night. As we saw last night, that's a killer.

I feel the exact same way about Jaden McDaniels. I love the physical tools and willingness to play his role, but he's just not an effective player. I'm fully aware he's only 21-years old and fairly raw. I understand it's just his second season and all of that. Here's what I boil it down to. What's his reachable ceiling? Is it close to Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant? If that's the case, and I think it is, then why not expedite the process and get the sure thing when you need it? Of course, this one can be debated more in depth.

I also prefer Barnes over Grant, for what it's worth. I think he's probably more accepting of his role alongside star players with a more efficient offensive game. He's the more reliable shooter and seems to have a higher basketball intellect from what I've seen. Grant provides a bit more length and athleticism in the same versatile forward role, but there are more unknowns with him. I'd be pleased to have either on this team, but I do have Barnes above him.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

I don't think the Kings do the 1st trade. They were rumored last year to be offered two 1st round picks by the Celtics what they declined.

They want to make the playoffs (play-in) and they are in great shape to do that. Don't think a worse Hield (Beasley), Mcdaniels and a 1st gets the job done.

Also I'm know I'm in the minority here but I'm not the biggest fan trading a 1st this year. The Wolves young guys are about to get a raise and Kat and Russell also looking at their 3rd contract. In my opinion the Wolves need to continue to add cheaper young talent. Instead of guys who are good but can walk after next season. In my option Barnes and Grant don't promise us top 6.

I think we are seeing our big 3 can win basketball games at a solid level. Don't think this is the time to be trading young assets for solid but not great players.

*I would do the Covington deal and I think that is realistic.

kekgeek1 wrote:I don't think the Kings do the 1st trade. They were rumored last year to be offered two 1st round picks by the Celtics what they declined.

They want to make the playoffs (play-in) and they are in great shape to do that. Don't think a worse Hield (Beasley), Mcdaniels and a 1st gets the job done.

Also I'm know I'm in the minority here but I'm not the biggest fan trading a 1st this year. The Wolves young guys are about to get a raise and Kat and Russell also looking at their 3rd contract. In my opinion the Wolves need to continue to add cheaper young talent. Instead of guys who are good but can walk after next season. In my option Barnes and Grant don't promise us top 6.

I think we are seeing our big 3 can win basketball games at a solid level. Don't think this is the time to be trading young assets for solid but not great players.

*I would do the Covington deal and I think that is realistic.

I think the Kings jump all over that trade, to be honest. It's the Wolves that I fear would be reluctant to make that deal. Sacramento is set to make some deals near the deadline even as they fight to stay in the play-in hunt. I've seen Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, De'Aaron Fox, and Richaun Holmes names floated around in various rumors. Obviously, rumors can be just that -- rumors -- but at the very least I think Barnes and Hield will gain enough interest to be moved.

Couldn't it be argued that the Wolves currently have cheap talent? They have an All-Star caliber player in Anthony Edwards playing for just over the mid-level exception and starter-level four making just under five-million a year. Not to mention, there's Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid on minimum salary. They can afford to pay for production when it's needed. Additionally, their continued interest in Ben Simmons tells me they're not afraid to spend. I also don't think the front office makes a move for Barnes or Jerami Grant unless there's a feeling that they can retain them.

I agree that the little-big three can win games, but management is doing them a disservice by not getting them additional help. I'd also ask when do you think the Wolves should trade assets for proven production? With Edwards on his rookie deal, I'd argue that we're currently in that window. You can't just sit on your hands year after year. Gersson Rosas got this roster to where it's at by making moves and being aggressive on the trade front. Abandoning that strat when it's an opportune time to push more chips into play seems like a head-scratcher to me.

Marc Stein:

"I've heard Sacramento described by more than one rival team as the closest thing there is to a trade partner you could class as "favorites" to bring a resolution to the seemingly interminable Simmons standoff before the deadline (as things stand). Reason being: More than one rival team believes Sacramento, in its desire for a significant shakeup as it bumbles toward a record 16th consecutive season out of the playoffs, could be convinced to take on Tobias Harris' contract to facilitate a Simmons deal. If the Sixers can't get the top-flight player they covet, going ahead with a Simmons deal that enables them to shed the two years and nearly $80 million left on Harris' contract after this season might be too enticing to resist rather than holding out for a star in return.

Bear in mind that the Kings are in talks with numerous teams on numerous trade fronts and thus could proceed in a variety of directions. There is a rising belief around the league that Sacramento will indeed trade Barnes before this deadline after rebuffing all the interest he generated last season. The Pistons continue to be mentioned as a potential destination for Marvin Bagley III and Sacramento is likewise expected to trade Buddy Hield after nearly completing a deal in July that would have made Hield a Los Angeles Laker."
Monster

Post by Monster »

The one thing I read a few days ago on the trade from was Barnes was going to have a lot of teams going after him. I like him but I'm not getting into a bidding war for him. Like you said Cam if you can make a deal for the right price you do it. I think Barnes is gonna be too much for me.

If Thad Young came cheap that would be awesome.

Im not holding out hope for any kind of move to me honest. If anything happens I'll just be pleasantly surprised. Im not saying the Wolves shouldn't be trying to make something happen I just don't know if anything will. I could see them do some sort of swap of meh players for someone else's meh players. Personally I think the best way for this team to improve is a guy like Price and or MacDaniels to play better and basically upgrade without giving anything up. I've seen it happen before.

Edit: Beasley playing better seems reasonably attainable also.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Great thread Cam.

Jerami Grant is an interesting target. If you look at his statistics over the last two season with Detroit he has become a high volume scorer with very mediocre shooting percentages. But if you go back to when he was with Denver and OKC and was a 3rd/4th option he was alot more efficient shooting almost 50/40. However he isn't a good rebounder and I question the fit next to KAT to be honest. Plus I don't think he is worth what the asking price will be - likely multiple picks and Jaden McDaniels. I also think we would have to give up more than I'd be want to get Harrison Barnes.

Our starting lineup is legit good, statistics show that. We need to solidify the bench. I personally would like to see us add another ball handling, scoring combo guard. Cam you mentioned Derrick White in the past as a possible acquisiton and the idea has really started to grow on me. He could be our 6th man, or start when PBev or DLo are inevitable injured.

MIN receive - Derrick White, 2022 2nd Round Pick (early 30s as Spurs have a pick swap).
SAS receive - Malik Beasley, Leandro Barbossa and 2022 1st round pick (lottery protected until conveyed)

Another guy I would like to see in a Wolves uniform is Paul Reed currently with the 76ers. Watched him during Summer League and was hugely impressed. Solid player who is under utilised with the 76ers at the moment. Really a 4 but can play at the 3 and 5.

MIN receive - Paul Reed
PHI receive - two 2022 2nd Round picks (44 and 48th)

Russell / White / McLaughlin / Wright (2way)
Beverley / Nowell / Okogie
Edwards / McDaniels / Layman
Vanderbilt / Prince / Reed
Towns / Reid / Knight (2way)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Great thread, Cam.

I wouldn't pursue Jerami Grant. I don't like his stats the past couple seasons and he's never been a particularly good rebounder.

Harrison Barnes would be a great acquisition. He's be a fit for this team and he'd improve our bench be essentially bumping Beverley back to a 6th man role leading our second unit. But I wouldn't give up all of the assets you suggested in your hypothetical trade, so I don't think I'd be willing to give up enough to get him. I'd substitute Naz Reid for McDaniels and I'd make the 2022 pick lottery protected and eventually converting to two 2nd round picks in 2025. I love your second trade scenario -- essentially Prince and a couple 2nd-round picks for Covington. I also like your third scenario deal for Robin Lopez.

The Wolves would be well positioned to make the playoffs if they could simply pull off the Covington and Lopez deals you suggested.