Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rumors-james-harden-ben-simmons-caris-levert-collin-sexton-malik-beasley-thaddeus-young/Michael Scotto:

According to several rival executives who spoke with HoopsHype, there's a belief that including a first-round pick in a trade offer could pry Malik Beasley from Minnesota.

Beasley's name was mentioned as part of a potential package for Celtics guard Marcus Smart, and his salary makes him a prime trade candidate for salary matching purposes.

The Timberwolves and Spurs had exploratory talks on a trade involving Taurean Prince and a second-round pick for [Thaddeus] Young, league sources told HoopsHype.

Prince suffered a left ankle sprain on Sunday. Before his injury, Prince averaged 17.5 points on a blistering 68.2 percent from three-point range with 6.8 rebounds in his last four games.

My Thoughts:

If Minnesota's able to recoup value for Malik Beasley in the form of a first-round pick, then I will be elated. However, you cannot trade Beasley and not get a winning piece for this year as well. For instance, if you deal Beasley you had better get back a capable wing either in the same trade or in another. I wonder if the Wolves are trying to pry Josh Richardson and a first-round pick out of the Celtics.

Months ago, I would have been all over that trade for Thaddeus Young. Things have changed, however. Taurean Prince finally got into a rhythm-- he's been a flamethrower as of late. His three-point shooting prowess and ability to defend the wing makes him a better player for this team than Young. How badly is Prince injured? Hypothetically speaking, if he was going to miss a month or more, then yeah let's bring in the healthier Young. Otherwise, I think you hold on to Prince.

Beasley and Naz are assets I feel like I am willing to move. Oddly I think Prince I would be less likely to move than either even though he is a expiring. I mean if some team as like we will give you a 1st for Prince then yeah sure but that seems unlikely. It wasn't that long ago Thad Young for Prince would have looked good but yeah now I'd stick with Prince if healthy.

Now on Beasley having the value of a 1st round pick...I would be looking for the best deal I could do to get that value. I agree it would be tough to not get a player back in the deal that doesn't help now. It seems pretty unlikely that would happen just because some salary would have to come back. I'll say this though if the player coming back was say out of for the season or pretty much trash I would still be interested if the deal allowed the Wolves room to stay under the Lux tax and sign even just a vet min guy. That player won't be as valuable overall as Beasley but that player might be more helpful in general.

I'm getting a little excited about the idea that the Wolves could get something for Beasley. A first round pick in the next draft could be packaged with our own to move up in the draft or maybe for another player. I'd like to be somewhat aggressive in looking for an upgrade now for (I think the prince will be too high) but I also feel like it might be too early to go in on a guy for multiple assets as I don't feel absolutely certain what the Wolves will actually need 9 months from now. I was thinking early this morning about how Beasley still is a nice asset because of that non guaranteed final year on his contract.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

It's good to have options!
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Zero interest in trading Prince for Thaddeus Young. Unless its part of a package to acquire Derrick White.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I still remember the Thad Young frustration on this forum during his first stint with the Timberwolves.

Man some posters really seemed to hate that guy... mostly for his lack of rebounding. But even in what was arguably his worst season as a pro... he was one of the very best players on the team.

Granted... that team was 16 - 66.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I still remember the Thad Young frustration on this forum during his first stint with the Timberwolves.

Man some posters really seemed to hate that guy... mostly for his lack of rebounding. But even in what was arguably his worst season as a pro... he was one of the very best players on the team.

I'll never forget those days. The shade towards Thaddeus Young was always undeserved and it piled on with every game. And then Flip Saunders traded him for an expiring 38-year old Kevin Garnett for emotional, sentimental reasons. One of my least favorite seasons as a Wolves fan for several reasons.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I still remember the Thad Young frustration on this forum during his first stint with the Timberwolves.

I'll never forget those days. The shade towards Thaddeus Young was always undeserved and it piled on with every game. And then Flip Saunders traded him for an expiring 38-year old Kevin Garnett for emotional, sentimental reasons. One of my least favorite seasons as a Wolves fan for several reasons.

25 guys played on that 16 - 66 team. 19 of them started at least one game!

And by my calculations... 97.3% of the negative online opinions were about Thad Young.

[Note: Somebody named Miroslav Raduljica was on the squad. I'm not the most knowledgeable or loyal or attentive Wolves guy... but I'm probably in relatively rare company... and I had completely forgotten who the hell that guy was. Or is. Turns out he actually started a couple games for the 15 - 67 Bucks just a season prior. He never played again in the NBA after that season.]
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Camden wrote:

25 guys played on that 16 - 66 team. 19 of them started at least one game!

And by my calculations... 97.3% of the negative online opinions were about Thad Young.

[Note: Somebody named Miroslav Raduljica was on the squad. I'm not the most knowledgeable or loyal or attentive Wolves guy... but I'm probably in relatively rare company... and I had completely forgotten who the hell that guy was. Or is. Turns out he actually started a couple games for the 15 - 67 Bucks just a season prior. He never played again in the NBA after that season.]

I think of whatever percentage points that were left probably went to him. People did not like that signing. I believe he had done quite well in some international play which was partly why he was signed. If I remember right the next international tournament he played it he looked...pretty bad but I could be wrong. Damn that seems like a long time ago.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Saw on reddit Wolfson says the Wolves are checking on Montrez Harrell. He be a nice get.
MikkeMan

Post by MikkeMan »

monsterpile wrote:

I think of whatever percentage points that were left probably went to him. People did not like that signing. I believe he had done quite well in some international play which was partly why he was signed. If I remember right the next international tournament he played it he looked...pretty bad but I could be wrong. Damn that seems like a long time ago.

Raduljica was actually pretty good in Olympics after that season. 14.8 pts in just 19.1 minutes and over 61% FG%. If I remember right he was rolling hard and Teodosic was feeding him easy layups and dunks.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

jester1534 wrote:Saw on reddit Wolfson says the Wolves are checking on Montrez Harrell. He be a nice get.

This is much more the direction I hope the Wolves go. We havent had a bruiser on the roster since Pek. I want someone who can deliver some pain down low.