Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Post by FNG »

Camden wrote:
Shams Charania:

The Minnesota Timberwolves have also remained in conversations with the 76ers, but are unwilling to meet Philadelphia's high threshold for draft picks. Minnesota has indicated an openness to discussing a package that includes Simmons and Tobias Harris, sources said, but that offer would not come with draft capital from the Timberwolves and the 76ers do not view both players as part of a salary dump trade. The gulf in perspective is why there hasn't been much traction so far. At 27-25, the Timberwolves are firmly in the postseason picture in the Western Conference, have had positive play from All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns, rising young guard Anthony Edwards and veteran guard D'Angelo Russell. Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Sachin Gupta has been described as dutiful and active in conversations throughout the league.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3112818/2022/02/04/a-james-harden-ben-simmons-deal-is-a-possibility-before-the-nba-trade-deadline-sources/?source=user_shared_article

I wish the organization would move on from this already. I get that they're doing their diligence, but Ben Simmons should not be the focus for the Wolves anymore.

Yeah, as much as I like Simmons, I don't see how a deal with the Wolves gets done.

However, a Harden/Simmons deal makes a lot of sense to me.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
Shams Charania:

The Minnesota Timberwolves have also remained in conversations with the 76ers, but are unwilling to meet Philadelphia's high threshold for draft picks. Minnesota has indicated an openness to discussing a package that includes Simmons and Tobias Harris, sources said, but that offer would not come with draft capital from the Timberwolves and the 76ers do not view both players as part of a salary dump trade. The gulf in perspective is why there hasn't been much traction so far. At 27-25, the Timberwolves are firmly in the postseason picture in the Western Conference, have had positive play from All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns, rising young guard Anthony Edwards and veteran guard D'Angelo Russell. Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Sachin Gupta has been described as dutiful and active in conversations throughout the league.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3112818/2022/02/04/a-james-harden-ben-simmons-deal-is-a-possibility-before-the-nba-trade-deadline-sources/?source=user_shared_article

I wish the organization would move on from this already. I get that they're doing their diligence, but Ben Simmons should not be the focus for the Wolves anymore.

I agree completely, Cam!! And I agree this organization should not be pursuing Marcus Smart. I liked the Josh Richardson deal, although I could take it or leave it. Right now, our only big-game targets should be Barnes and Derrick White - one or the other. And I'd be pretty stingy on who I'd give up for either one. I think Gupta should move on entirely from big-game hunting and look for minor trades to fill some targeted needs. I'm thinking Layman and maybe 2nd-round picks for Len, Robin Lopez or cap space to sign Monroe. We need to see where this roster takes us this season and use the offseason to chart our course for next season and beyond.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

So I'm just reading all this news and see that Portland is in sell mode and obviously wants contracts to come off the books to pair star up with Lillard.

So why shouldn't this team not go after Nurkic?

As RFA he's perfect if he doesn't gel then we can just let him walk.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
Shams Charania:

I agree completely, Cam!! And I agree this organization should not be pursuing Marcus Smart. I liked the Josh Richardson deal, although I could take it or leave it. Right now, our only big-game targets should be Barnes and Derrick White - one or the other. And I'd be pretty stingy on who I'd give up for either one. I think Gupta should move on entirely from big-game hunting and look for minor trades to fill some targeted needs. I'm thinking Layman and maybe 2nd-round picks for Len, Robin Lopez or cap space to sign Monroe. We need to see where this roster takes us this season and use the offseason to chart our course for next season and beyond.

Nailed it, Lip. Targeting high-quality, two-way role players that can either start or come off the bench depending on what's needed of them. They're also affordable and signed beyond this season. Those are definitely my top two trade targets as well. I'd guess that I'd be more aggressive in what I'd be willing to give up for them than you would be, but I think we agree that there's no need to catch a big fish right now and rock the boat too much.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Jester1534 wrote:So I'm just reading all this news and see that Portland is in sell mode and obviously wants contracts to come off the books to pair star up with Lillard.

I like what Nurkic would bring to the Wolves. But who would you give up to get him? Beasley? Pat B? Prince? It would have to be one of those three. I'm not sure swapping any of those three for Nurkic would be a net gain for the Wolves as a team built primarily around offensive versatility, shooting and athleticism.

jester1534 wrote:So I'm just reading all this news and see that Portland is in sell mode and obviously wants contracts to come off the books to pair star up with Lillard.

I also alluded to this in the Around the League thread. Today's trade news made it apparent that Portland will be selling off pieces and open for business. I'd at least call on Jusuf Nurkic and see what I could get him for.

As an expiring, you might just have to match salaries and throw in a second-round pick or two -- of which Minnesota has three in the upcoming draft.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

lipoli390 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:So I'm just reading all this news and see that Portland is in sell mode and obviously wants contracts to come off the books to pair star up with Lillard.

I like what Nurkic would bring to the Wolves. But who would you give up to get him? Beasley? Pat B? Prince? It would have to be one of those three. I'm not sure swapping any of those three for Nurkic would be a net gain for the Wolves as a team built primarily around offensive versatility, shooting and athleticism.

I say Beasley, layman and couple 2nds send us back Nurkic and McLemore.

Nowell and McLemore can replace Beasley production and Nurkic is upgrade at center.

I also would explore trading Naz for shooter if we got Nurkic as well.

For what it's worth, the following is actually possible and makes the Wolves better on the court, in my opinion.

Minnesota: Jusuf Nurkic, 2027 second-round pick (via POR)

Portland: Josh Okogie, Leandro Bolmaro, Naz Reid

Oklahoma City: Jake Layman, 2022 second-round pick (via PHI/DEN via MIN)

Whether or not you'd be willing to make that trade is another story. I probably would pull the trigger on that assuming nothing else materialized. I think a healthy Nurkic is a big matchup problem for a lot of teams in this league, especially in the Western Conference.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:For what it's worth, the following is actually possible and makes the Wolves better on the court, in my opinion.

Minnesota:: Jusuf Nurkic, 2027 second-round pick (via POR)

Portland: Josh Okogie, Leandro Bolmaro, Naz Reid

Oklahoma City: Jake Layman, 2022 second-round pick (via PHI/DEN via MIN)

Whether or not you'd be willing to make that trade is another story. I probably would pull the trigger on that assuming nothing else materialized. I think a healthy Nurkic is a big matchup problem for a lot of teams in this league, especially in the Western Conference.

I would pull the trigger on that deal too, Cam - even though I like Reid and remain intrigued by Bolmaro's potential. I wouldn't give up Beasley, Prince or Beverley for Nurkic, but your hypothetical is a deal that would definitely make the Wolves better. And I can see Portland having an interest in getting two young talents in Bolmaro and Reid as part of what appears to be a rebuild or retool. It's an easy deal for OKC to make as they get a second round pick and Layman for nothing.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

How about Layman and two of our three 2022 second round picks for Bitadze. We'd get more size in our second unit and an additional $900,000 which would allow them to fill the last roster spot with a vet free agent. Indiana would get $3M in additional salary room after the season and two additional 2nd-round picks to help with their rebuild. Bitadze is only playing about 10 minutes a game in Indiana. So they don't appear to value him that highly.