Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Re: Let’s Make a Deal — NBA Trade Edition

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Our window is just opening. The only thing we could really use right now is a rim protecting big who can rebound. I really hope we stay the course and see if this group can mature into a contender. We could take on a contract by sending out salary, but it better be a short one. Ant and Jaden have to be budgeted for in the not too distant future. I think it's critical we can keep KAT, Ant, Jaden, and Vando. You should always be able to fill in around those guys, and stay relevant for 8-10 years.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Our window is just opening. The only thing we could really use right now is a rim protecting big who can rebound. I really hope we stay the course and see if this group can mature into a contender. We could take on a contract by sending out salary, but it better be a short one. Ant and Jaden have to be budgeted for in the not too distant future. I think it's critical we can keep KAT, Ant, Jaden, and Vando. You should always be able to fill in around those guys, and stay relevant for 8-10 years.

I agree, Cool. The only starting-caliber players I'd consider trading for at the deadline would be Cam's list of three - Barnes, Grant or White. But my strong preference would be to pass on any deal to get any of those three or any other major player. Instead, I'd like to see us swap Layman for a rebounding big like Alex Len. Otherwise, we should just stay the course with the guys we have through the end of the season. I also agree that KAT, Ant, Jaden and Vando are keys to this team's long-term success. Right now, I also see DLO as part of this team's long-term core and that's a change for me. I'm still troubled by DLO's injury propensity, but he really makes a positive difference when he's on the court.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Our window is just opening. The only thing we could really use right now is a rim protecting big who can rebound. I really hope we stay the course and see if this group can mature into a contender. We could take on a contract by sending out salary, but it better be a short one. Ant and Jaden have to be budgeted for in the not too distant future. I think it's critical we can keep KAT, Ant, Jaden, and Vando. You should always be able to fill in around those guys, and stay relevant for 8-10 years.

I agree with parts of this, but Jaden McDaniels hasn't produced nearly enough for me to group him in with those other three you mentioned. Not to mention, I don't think D'Angelo Russell is going anywhere either.

Right now, McDaniels is more potential than proven value so I think it's premature to be budgeting for his contract after the 2023-24 season. We know Karl-Anthony Towns is going to receive another max contract. We know Anthony Edwards is going to receive a max contract. We know Jarred Vanderbilt is locked into a team-friendly deal through 2023-24 with a chance to receive a significant contract afterwards. We just don't quite know what caliber of player McDaniels will be two years from now. Will he be Mikal Bridges? Will he be Jonathan Isaac? Or will he be Andre Roberson? It's hard to budget for the unknown.

We know McDaniels is in Minnesota's future plans based on what's been reported, but I wouldn't let those plans interfere with making trades or free agent signings in the meantime.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

lipoli390 wrote:

I agree, Cool. The only starting-caliber players I'd consider trading for at the deadline would be Cam's list of three - Barnes, Grant or White. But my strong preference would be to pass on any deal to get any of those three or any other major player. Instead, I'd like to see us swap Layman for a rebounding big like Alex Len. Otherwise, we should just stay the course with the guys we have through the end of the season. I also agree that KAT, Ant, Jaden and Vando are keys to this team's long-term success. Right now, I also see DLO as part of this team's long-term core and that's a change for me. I'm still troubled by DLO's injury propensity, but he really makes a positive difference when he's on the court.

No question DLO has really brought it since the first of the year. He's valuable on this team today, but he misses a lot of games and I'm not sure we can afford to pay him max money on his next deal. If we can keep him, great, but I don't think he's as important as the other 4 for the long term future.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:

I agree with parts of this, but Jaden McDaniels hasn't produced nearly enough for me to group him in with those other three you mentioned. Not to mention, I don't think D'Angelo Russell is going anywhere either.

Right now, McDaniels is more potential than proven value so I think it's premature to be budgeting for his contract after the 2023-24 season. We know Karl-Anthony Towns is going to receive another max contract. We know Anthony Edwards is going to receive a max contract. We know Jarred Vanderbilt is locked into a team-friendly deal through 2023-24 with a chance to receive a significant contract afterwards. We just don't quite know what caliber of player McDaniels will be two years from now. Will he be Mikal Bridges? Will he be Jonathan Isaac? Or will he be Andre Roberson? It's hard to budget for the unknown.

We know McDaniels is in Minnesota's future plans based on what's been reported, but I wouldn't let those plans interfere with making trades or free agent signings in the meantime.

Just my opinion of course, but I believe Jaden will pass up Vando in value relatively soon. There is a reason every team wants him. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a month, six months, a year out. No doubt in my mind he becomes a top 100 player in the league.

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

No question DLO has really brought it since the first of the year. He's valuable on this team today, but he misses a lot of games and I'm not sure we can afford to pay him max money on his next deal. If we can keep him, great, but I don't think he's as important as the other 4 for the long term future.

I think it's more likely D'Angelo Russell gets something in the ballpark of four-years, $85-million, which is borderline fair market value for him. His tendency to get banged up and miss games is going to be factored into his next deal. It's also unclear whether or not he would've received a max contract after his last season in Brooklyn if not for Kevin Durant's departure from Golden State. That situation and opportunity opened the door for Russell to get overpaid because the Warriors simply couldn't afford to let Durant walk for nothing in return.

As for D-Lo's importance moving forward, I don't see how Minnesota could even entertain a future without him unless they have a path to getting someone better to play the point guard position. That opportunity hasn't shown itself yet. Out of the four in your group of keepers only Karl-Anthony Towns has proved to be more pivotal to this team in terms of winning. We hope Anthony Edwards will surpass both of them, but he's still learning how to impact the game in various ways. Jarred Vanderbilt and Jaden McDaniels are supporting pieces and not the straw that stirs the drink. Again, I'm fine with moving away from Russell if there's a plan that upgrades his position, but that player isn't on the roster currently and won't be easy to acquire.

CoolBreeze44 wrote:Just my opinion of course, but I believe Jaden will pass up Vando in value relatively soon. There is a reason every team wants him. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a month, six months, a year out. No doubt in my mind he becomes a top 100 player in the league.

Jaden McDaniels could surpass Jarred Vanderbilt in production/value in the future considering he has more offensive potential, but until that potential is realized it doesn't matter much. I hope you're right though and McDaniels proves to be a high-caliber player. He just hasn't shown enough to me to make me feel certain he'll get there.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Camden wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:Just my opinion of course, but I believe Jaden will pass up Vando in value relatively soon. There is a reason every team wants him. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a month, six months, a year out. No doubt in my mind he becomes a top 100 player in the league.

Jaden McDaniels could surpass Jarred Vanderbilt in production/value in the future considering he has more offensive potential, but until that potential is realized it doesn't matter much. I hope you're right though and McDaniels proves to be a high-caliber player. He just hasn't shown enough to me to make me feel certain he'll get there.

Nothing is guaranteed Cam. We're all just speculating about the future of the franchise. You're right, we don't have a true PG on the roster today that can push DLO. I was ready to pull the plug on this team earlier in the season, but they have grown into at least a top 6 contender in the West. And if some of these young guys keep coming, who knows what can happen in the next couple years. We also know that this could all be fools gold and they could settle into a play-in position. The reality is we are going to lose players that we like, especially if we become consistent winners. The Bucks lost Brogdon before they eventually won a title. Things can change dramatically from year to year, and that's part of what makes it fun.

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Camden wrote:

Nothing is guaranteed Cam. We're all just speculating about the future of the franchise. You're right, we don't have a true PG on the roster today that can push DLO. I was ready to pull the plug on this team earlier in the season, but they have grown into at least a top 6 contender in the West. And if some of these young guys keep coming, who knows what can happen in the next couple years. We also know that this could all be fools gold and they could settle into a play-in position. The reality is we are going to lose players that we like, especially if we become consistent winners. The Bucks lost Brogdon before they eventually won a title. Things can change dramatically from year to year, and that's part of what makes it fun.

Agreed. I actually think the Bucks example is a good one for both sides. Milwaukee foolishly allowed Malcolm Brogdon to walk in free agency and then replaced him with the inferior Eric Bledsoe. They were fortunate that Jrue Holiday became available just a year later, but their willingness to let a quality player leave almost cost them their chance at a championship. They likely don't win a ring with Bledsoe, but I think they would have been in the mix with Brogdon. They righted their wrong in the end, but it was costly and required a bit of luck.

The point here is that it would be illogical, in my opinion, to move on from D'Angelo Russell -- or plan the future without him -- unless there's a plan that involves getting a better lead guard than him.
D-Mac [enjin:19736340]

Post by D-Mac [enjin:19736340] »

Camden wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I think it's more likely D'Angelo Russell gets something in the ballpark of four-years, $85-million, which is borderline fair market value for him. His tendency to get banged up and miss games is going to be factored into his next deal. It's also unclear whether or not he would've received a max contract after his last season in Brooklyn if not for Kevin Durant's departure from Golden State. That situation and opportunity opened the door for Russell to get overpaid because the Warriors simply couldn't afford to let Durant walk for nothing in return.

As for D-Lo's importance moving forward, I don't see how Minnesota could even entertain a future without him unless they have a path to getting someone better to play the point guard position. That opportunity hasn't shown itself yet. Out of the four in your group of keepers only Karl-Anthony Towns has proved to be more pivotal to this team in terms of winning. We hope Anthony Edwards will surpass both of them, but he's still learning how to impact the game in various ways. Jarred Vanderbilt and Jaden McDaniels are supporting pieces and not the straw that stirs the drink. Again, I'm fine with moving away from Russell if there's a plan that upgrades his position, but that player isn't on the roster currently and won't be easy to acquire.

I agree with you both here. I'd be good with dlo coming back for something like 4/70, but honestly he's just not as important as the other 4. How much do we really lose right now when Nowell has to cover his minutes? I'd argue very little. Don't get me wrong, he's having a good year and we would miss his play making a bit, but he's the easiest to replace, especially at his expected cost.